1986 NISSAN SKYLINE STATION WAGON

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

DON NOBLE

1986 NISSAN SKYLINE STATION WAGON

Post by DON NOBLE »

HI ALL
GUESS THIS IS WHERE WE TALK OR BRAG ABOUT WHAT WE DID TO OUR ENGINES TO PROPELL US ACROSS THE SALT QUICKER

TOOK THE SKYLINE TO LAKE GAIRDNER
BASICALLY STANDARD EXCEPT FOR A SET OF EXTRACTORS .
PREPARATION AT THE SALT WAS , REMOVE THE ROOF RACK , MIRRORS , FRONT NUMBER PLATE . UNBOLT THE EXHAUST AT THE EXTRACTORS COLLECTOR FLANGE ( YA GOTTA MAKE NOISE ) . FUEL WAS OPTIMAX .
BEST SPEED WAS 125 M.P.H. (200 K.P.H. )

ENGINE MODS
HEAD PORT AND POLISHED
SHAVED .060" ( COMPRESSION NOW 10.0 TO 1 )
STANDARD VALVES WITH 3 ANGLE GRIND
CROW VALVE SPRINGS
FLOW BENCH TESTED FLOWED 285 HP

CAMSHAFT
SURE-CAM CUSTOM GRIND
CAM LIFT IN .306 EX .310
VALVE LIFT IN .459 EX .465
DURATION @ .050" IN 226 DEG EX 230
LOBE CENTRELINE IN 107 DEG EX 113 DEG
LOBE SEPERATION 110 DEG
VERNIER GEAR INSTALLED

INTAKE
INLET MANIFOLD PORT MATCHED TO HEAD
XF FALCON THROTTLE BODY FITTED AND MANIFOLD GOUND OUT TO SUIT
UPPER AND LOWER SECTIONS OF MANIFOLD PORT MATCHED
AIR FLOW METER RELOCATED NEXT TO THROTTLE BODY
STAINLESS STEEL INTAKE TUBE AND POD FILTER FITTED,POD FILTER REMOVED AND BELOW BUMPER 100 MM DIA SNORKLE HOSE FITTED
WAHN AT LAKE GAIRDNER
ENGINE COMPUTER RECHIPPED BY CHIP TORQUE

TUNING
ON CHIP TORQUE DYNO
3RD MARCH 2003 BEST FIGURE 82 KW WITH STANDARD EXHUAST PIPES . DISSAPOINTED WITH THIS SO RETURNED TO CHIP TORQUE
6TH MARCH 2003 UNBOLTED EXHAUST AT EXTRACTORS FLANGE BEST FIGURE 105 KW LATTER REALISED AIR CON HAD BEEN SWITCHED ON DURING DYNO RUNS SO POSSIBLY CLOSER TO 110 KW
MAX POWER DEVELOPED @4500 - 5800 RPM NOT BELOW 102 KW MAX 105 @ 5400RPM
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

Don, Not bad. How about :
2.5 l twin turbo Toyota. Wednesday before meeting, 135KW at wheels at 4200 rpm. Major spit on dyno. Unknown by me, one of the turbos had lost the exhaust turbine. Most out the exhaust and later found embedded in the workshop wall. Enough sucked back into engine to kill rear three cylinders. Get another motor, throw it in and leave. 145 Mph, no boost. Boost was being made by one turbo, and going straight out the other. I could see both turbos spinning, but couldn't work out why we had no boost. Wanted, a decent turbo.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

:twisted:
200+ ???? motor kawasaki rx 1000 mods lightened /polished and balanced crank runing ceramic bearings carillo rods ,forged pistins with ceramic coating ,head ported and polished/ flowed bigger exhaust valves ,set of cams ,s/s valves ,larger oil pump ,straight through headers ,stock 10.5:1 compression longer exhaust duration 12000 rpm ,mikuni 40mm radial slide carbs x 4 running methanol ,nitrous oxide injection 2stage jeted for 210hp + 140hp normally aspirated dyna 4000 with retard module and +++ custom made chassis (experimental ) + a dozen other aerodynamic experiments . next 200mph member hope so
Gary #282
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

Gary, Time will tell.I can think of Brian Nicholson, Nick Bowen, Ron Whowell, and maybe Stuart Lappin amongst others that you will have to push through. It has been a while since we have had a new member of the 200 MPH club. The last Aussie was Lynden Cooper in Lucky's bike in 2000. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

hey John
the last 200 mph members were husband and wife in a studebaker last march you are correct in saying that its a tough battle to get there especially when one has not raced on the big white dyno yet so many variables what I was on about is my bike project has or will have shortly the HP and credentials on paper to crack 200 time will tell the best of luck to all who are chasing this goal
Gary #282
Hawkwind racing :wink:
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

Incorrect Gary, To be a member of the 200MPH club, you have to set a record over 200 MPH. The record that John and Debbie is chasing is Leigh Fielder's of 238 MPH. We have many more members who have driven a car at over 200 MPH. Off the top of my head Lionel has driven Rod's car over 200, as has Rod's daughter I think. Rex has driven John's car over 200 as well. There may well be more, but that is all I can remember off the top of my head.
There is a reason why this is an elite group, even in the US. No driver is going to let someone else set a record in their car just to let them enter the 200 MPH club. Records are too hard to set to fool around with.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

Post by DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281 »

:D Hello all again .
After a few months of contemplating about how to make the red station wagon go hopefully quicker , have finally taken steps in that direction .
Last week purchased a Nissan RB25DE engine complete with harness and puter . Out of a r33 Skyline of 1994-6 vintage . rb25de means 2500cc double overhead cam and is 24 valve head , naturally aspirated . Am going to transplant the rb25de head onto a spare rb30e 3000cc sohc aussie engine i have ( the rb30e was only sold in aussieland ) . Have been reading up on doin this conversion , which seems pretty straight forward . I guess this will put me out of F/PRO class and into F/GC which doesnt worry my as long as i end up going faster
regards DON NOBLE
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

Don, Garry Brennan from Shepparton wanted to get in touch with you about the RB30. He wants to put one in a UC torana, as you can see from the message below. He connected as a guest, so I don't know an email address.

To Don Noble,

Don, we met at Lake Gairdner in March this year, and I spoke to you briefly about the Nissan RB30 Engine. I am preparing a U.C. Torana Coupe, and will be using the same engine.
I wish to get in touch with you, as I have a few questions to ask you.
My name is Garry Brennan, member #329. You can reach me on 0417 518 481 or after hours on (03) 5821 8213.
Regards,
Garry.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

RB30 ENGINES

:D
HELLO AGAIN
after my chat with garry brennan , there may be 3 nissan rb30 motors running next year. heres hopeing anyway . At Bonneville F/BGC record is held by a nissan skyline sports job at around 230 mph ( 1999 ) me thinks .
Company called JUN auto ( check their website )from Japan were the ones that did it , they said it was putting out around 1000 hp out of 2600cc turbo .
regards
DON NOBLE
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

picked up another 5speed box on the weekend out of a rb25de , r33 model , has a .75 ratio 5th gear compared to standard .84 of the red wagon . vl commodores have the .75 5th gear too as standard

conversion to twin cam 24v on the 3ltr is progressing ( slowly) , am using the rb25 pistons which have lumps on top , will give 10.5-1 compression .

it will happen :roll:

DON
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

took the red wagon to Willowbank dragstrip ( Brisbane ) test and tune evening 27th dec . On skinny old tyres , std 3.7 diff , and my first time on a drag strip . Engine was as i ran it at Lake Gairdner this year , even got same spark plugs in it .
time 15.3 speed 91mph
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

MMMMMMMM got an idea . Hows about i put a supercharger on the rb30de , a la CRS type conversion . have nearly finished the dohc 24v vvt conversion on the rb3ltr single cam . its got 10,5 - 1 compression . Now if i put the original rb30 e pistons back in with the rb25de head i get 8.1-1 compression . MMMMM should be low enough for a supercharger . Better go and think about this idea only got 7 weeks to go .

wed 21st . Well had a big think about it , supercgarger will have to wait .

sat 24th been thinking about making a twin 54mm throttle body setup . worked a few figures out 2x 54 throttle bodies = 1 x 73 mm t/b
1 x xf falcon t/b ( 64 mm ) bored to 68 mm flows 625 cfm
1 x xf falcon t/b a whole lot easier to fit , and would flow enough for what the i need

Post by Guest »

one week before i commence the drive down , and the skylines still not running . was stuffed around by a so called fuel injection sparky for 8 days . just took car on tilt tray to another sparky who seems pretty with it . should by running by tuesday me hopes .
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

well dang it , just run out of time , the skylines running as of today but no time to sort a few things out , so it will have to wait til next year . anyways i,m flying down tommorrow morning to adelaide and should be at the camp by darktime . see yas there
DON NOBLE

Post by Guest »

THE SKYLINE IS BACK ON THE ROAD AS OF YESTERDAY . SORTED LOTS OF LITTLE PROBS OUT . WELL I WAS 2 WEEKS TOO LATE TO GET IT DONE OR IS IT I,M 50 WEEKS EARLY FOR 2005 .