'56 Oval

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

David Leikvold

flat out

Post by David Leikvold »

Nothing from Mick for two weeks now, he must really be going flat out! Or maybe he's already finished the car and is now on holidays somewhere. I'm betting the latter. :wink:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
T-34

Post by T-34 »

Lost a week due to having to work :evil: and now seem to have pulled a muscle in my shoulder :cry:

Still making progress tho, and trying to make up for the lost time.

Would post some pics etc, but don't have the time - lol
#809Image
Rob

Post by Rob »

You'll be right,

Sleep is very much over rated!

I see there's an oval pre-entered this year for /Pro.

Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
T-34

Post by T-34 »

Yes, think there are a couple of entrants that are looking to have a go at the current 36hp record. Think one is having a go at the SS record (stone stock) and the other is one of the modified 36hp categories - Can't remember which one off hand.

There's some more info on the 36hp challenge on the challenge's website http://burlyb.com there's also a bit more on my site (link below).

My original intention was to have a go at the SS record, but didn't have enough time to source and prep an engine, so decided to borrow the engine from my other car instead, but this takes me waaay out of PRO class
#809Image
T-34

Post by T-34 »

Well, earlier this week I decided to throw in the towel for this year. I might still have scraped in, but a couple of delays ate into my comfort zone which would have meant no shakedown time, and with lots of $$$'s invested in a yet-to-be-run engine I don't want to risk a blow first run out.

There's just too many unknowns in this build - lots of stuff that I have had to fabricate or modify, it'd be nice to break 'er in gently.

All a bit of an anti-climax of course, but at least I won't have peaked too early :D

Will still be coming to the lake of course, but will concentrate on getting photos and video instead.
#809Image
Dr Goggles

next year

Post by Dr Goggles »

Mate, in a way you've probably lucked out........from my perspective going as a spectator is a rite of passage.

Worse case scenario you build something , take it there, it lunches itself straight up.....after that you get no sense of achievement, waste a lot of dough and there's no way you're gonna enjoy yourself for the rest of the week, and you ain't gonna meet anyone because you're having a crap time.............

Go as a spectator, you will be able to go around and check everything out and meet heaps of great people, you will also learn a lot and be able to watch a similar vehicle go through tech and gain a little insight into what is important , what's critical and what is neither here nor there.

The other advantage is that you will get a handle on what you need to take to get by living there for the week, without the added job of organising your car......then when you do take the car the anxiety level will be lower and the comfort level will be higher .

Anyone who says they're above spectating..." I'm a racer mate, not a fan..." is pulling their dick.....If you don't look and learn first then you might as well get a dunce hat with a wide brim ........

I bet you get home from the lake with a renewed enthusiasm, some great useful new mates, some fresh ideas and a determination to make it a longer term thing, lower stress and better success.

Let me know if I'm wrong. :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
T-34

Post by T-34 »

Very True, we did the spectator bit last year - scoped everything out, made big plans - lol - would have been up the year before as well - except for the rain. Must admit though - after spending the past few months immersed in the build - I now know the right questions to ask - lol

Think another month and another $5k would have seen it all good. :P - plus now I have time to build a decent trailer.

I'm not really fussed,not to run this year, it's an awesome event - whether you're participating or watching - I know I will have a good time. Plus got to admit - I like the build stage of the project, and rushing through it like I have been, hasn't really given me the time to enjoy the process - it kind of my 'zen'.

The postponement now poses another problem however - next year I intended to do something a little more streamlined - so do I junk the oval in favor of the new project or carry on with it?
#809Image
Dr Goggles

easy

Post by Dr Goggles »

Get a car carrier :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Rob

Post by Rob »

What the good doctor prescribed above! otherwise you'll be in the same position with a different car next February.

Will try and catch up on the lake.
Rob
T-34

Post by T-34 »

Car carrier - hell I want one of those Winnebago's with the full garage in the back section (including two post lift, staff room and toilet block of course).

My idea for something more streamlined was simply a variation on the current theme. Not looked too far into this but think the rules say that chopped + sectioned + removed fenders is okay on pre '49 cars - and whilst I do not have a 'pre '49 bug to chop - I can easily make a replica - lets say a pre '49 bug is pretty much like an oval windowed bug, but with a split rear window and a different dashboard. All in all - I just need to slip a bit of a different body on the running gear that I already have.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(And chop a few inches out of the cage that I just had made - lol)

I fancied having a go at something like this

#809Image
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

As long as yours doesn’t carry the name they gave that car: Death
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
T-34

Post by T-34 »

PJQ2 wrote:As long as yours doesn’t carry the name they gave that car: Death

Yeah, always wondered about that - guess they needed an extreme name for an extreme car. The guy who built is has some insane skills; the whole car is metal finished and unpainted. i think it's a piece to demonstrate his work. There's a build thread over on Kustom Coach Works site.
#809Image
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'd be careful with that shape at speed, looks to me like it'd induce a heap of lift as is despite it's dirty bum.

Cheers,
Rob
T-34

Post by T-34 »

Rob wrote:I'd be careful with that shape at speed, looks to me like it'd induce a heap of lift as is despite it's dirty bum.

Cheers,
Rob

Yeah, not so sure I would go so extreme - think I would try to keep the engine inside the car. Plus I think the rules say its okay to remove engine bay side panels - doesn't mention anything about removing the WHOLE engine bay

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
#809Image
David Leikvold

mach schnell

Post by David Leikvold »

Mick, if you were to run another turbo motor you could do without just about everything above the top of the inlet manifolds. Then most of the motor could disappear behind the bodywork again. Aus liebe zum Automobil.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!