'56 Oval

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't think you'll regret it in the long run.

Maybe sit down and try to work out a flow chart of all the things you know you need to do, that will help make best use of the time you have.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
T-34

Post by T-34 »

I prefer a list stuck to the windshield.

Only problem is - I don't have one to stick it to at the moment - lol
#809Image
Rob

Post by Rob »

Write on the body in Texta and use it as a feature lol
T-34

Post by T-34 »

Rob wrote:Write on the body in Texta and use it as a feature lol

LOL then I'll get pulled in scrutineering for bad handwriting.

I actually commandeered the blackboard in the kitchen, but there's not enough room on it - lol.

Went to see the car again tonight, and drop some readies off for he work done so far, the front part of the cage is underway. Also dropped off the steering column and wheel so that the front cross bar can be made to miss it.

Had an idea regarding the cooling setup - last time I was in Upullit, there was a dented and knackered early style boot lid lying about. Tonight, I decided to go get it so that I can cut it up and add in a scoop. Only problem was I went to the wrong upullit.

Guess I need to go out and visit the other one now :(

No pics tonight.
#809Image
T-34

Post by T-34 »

I picked up the oval this week as the cage has now been finished off. We lifted the body off today, and I stripped the front beam off and trial fited the new narrowed beam up. I had to keep the car rolling as i am going to the scrutineers meeting tomorrow and need to be able to get the car on and off of a trailer, so I temporarily fitted the new drums up too, but all of this will need to come off to be able to finish the pan.

Next stage is to finish the welding off on the pan - mostly the rear of the new pan halves and the IRS brackets, and run the fuel and oil lines through the tunnel, before giving the pan a quick paint. Then I need to figure out the gearbox / engine mountings and fix up the gearbox selector shaft. I have got a repro hurst shifter from the states, but I need to modify the gate to allow selection of 5th gear. There's also a scatter shield to fabricate too.

My shipment of goodies finally arrived from CB performance, so I now have the plenums for the turbo induction, as well as lots of other stuff. I also received my el cheapo tacho and guages from ebay too. I just need to fabricate up a tee piece to join the throttle body to the plenums and the induction is sorted. For the present I will run without an intercooler, and see what happens.

I've been deliving in to the EFI system and figuring out what i need to get it all running. All I'm missing are some injectors and a MAP sensor, which i will sort out next week. I confirmed that the two lambda sensors I have are both good to use, and that the water temp sender will work fine as an oil temp sender instead. I have drafted up teh wiring diagram and just need to go buy the wire and switches to make up the loom. not a big job, but one that needs to be done right.

Also sourced a better steering wheel as the one I had was cracked around the centre boss, and another boot (engine) lid so that I can cut a hole in it to allow the Porsche 911 fan setup to be used. I decided that this was the simplest, cheapest and quickest solution. It might not look quite right but at this stage I need to save every little bit of time that I can. I'm aiming at cuting a hole in it so that the fan doesn't foul it, and then adding an air scoop for additional cooling and induction to cover the hole. Fortunately the class that I am running in allows bonnect scoops.

This week i aim at getting the pan completely finished off, including all running gear - suspension, brakes, steering, gearbox mounted and engine installed. This only really amounts to assembly as i have purchased all new components. I would like to be in a position where I can start fabricating the headers at the end of the week. If I can achieve this, then I should be on track to firing up the engine the following week. My big job for Monday is to get the drive shafts underway, as these are probably the last item to have outsourced.

As Stevie Miller said... "Time keeps on ticking"

Here's a couple of pics with the body on I took at Donegal Engineering. you can see where the rear luggage area has been removed to allow the body to be lifted off of the pan. I will box this area in. It's also going to be where the turbo will sit.

#809Image
Rob

Post by Rob »

Great progress,

That's sure tightened up the drivers leg room. Are you padding the dash bar above your legs?

Cheers,
Rob
Dr Goggles

shinboner

Post by Dr Goggles »

Rob wrote:Great progress,

That's sure tightened up the drivers leg room. Are you padding the dash bar above your legs?Cheers,
Rob

...either that or make a template out of cardboard and cut a panel (out of steel)to go from that bar to the front wall, so that the bar isn't proud.

Man , you're an inspiration work wise....the only thing that concerns me is that in the background of your photo's I've now seen Jags AND a series one Landy.........like um, are they maybe looking for you somewhere, like um somewhere you might have , er, escaped from? :lol: :lol: :lol:

All trash-talk aside , you really have done some nice work and published it beautifully here, this build diary will be the "go-to" for anyone taking a bug to the salt.

Here's hoping you stay on the same trajectory and we get to meet on the lake.

Cheers :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
T-34

Post by T-34 »

Cheers for the kind words, will deffo be at the lake, hopefully with a running bug - lol.

The legroom is a lot better than it looks as the drivers position is relatively 'legs straight', might be an issue if you are 6 foot plus, but I'm only a shortass so not an issue for me. I will probably just add foam to the cross bar to save on having to fabricate more stuff than necessary.

I need to add some RHS braces between the main and front hoop at floor level, this is to give the frame some extra support and prevent it from piercing the pan in the event of a mishap - this was one of the recommendations from the scrutineers meeting. This is not too much of an issue as I had to fab up some seat mounts, so this can double as somewhere to mount the seat and also a potential location for ballast. Ideally I need to build it up to the same height as the tunnel as the seat sits on top of it so this may end up something like 150 x 40. Then I will just need to find a nice bit of lead to fill it with.

:D
#809Image
T-34

Post by T-34 »

OK, fresh back from the scrutineering meeting yesterday, decided to get cracking. Went out and sourced some steel for the scatter-shield, and the RHS braces that were discussed, and also some sheet metal for fabricating up the new bulkheads and patching a few bits of tin worm here and there.

Also bought all of the stuff to build my wiring loom with - nice aircraft kill switches and pushbuttons. Even got some stuff to make up a DIY dyno controller box for the DTA EFI unit I am running.

Here's the competed RHS braces. Still need to add flatbar underneath to tie it to the pan.

Also welded up the IRS pivots

And started on the scattershield.

Day off tomorrow - got to go drink beer :)
#809Image
Rob

Post by Rob »

As has been said before, you sure don't frig about.

Enjoy the day off, you don't have time for another one ;)

Cheers,
Rob
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Great work Mick. :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
T-34

Post by T-34 »

Rob wrote:
Enjoy the day off, you don't have time for another one ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Hehehee aint that the truth.
#809Image
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day Mick
I'll be brief cause you don't have time to read.
Don't under estimate your helmet to cage padding clearance when you mount the seat. Its easy to stuff up and hard to reverse if you get it wrong.
Go for it, you'll make it.

Chris
Acme Racing #251
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Chris

I thought the solution to your problem was to lower your seat by at least 6 inches to allow for the tall amongst us?

Lynchy
Rob

Post by Rob »

Paul,

No, no..it was to flog the engine, no seat mods required ;)

Back to regular programming...

Rob