Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC400 E/Pro

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Rob

Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC400 E/Pro

Post by Rob »

Time to come clean I guess, santa brought me a project after almost a year of looking for just the right car at just the right price. Everything I found had a sunroof, was too pricey, had been pranged etc. etc. this one, although suffering extreme neglect, has all it's original panels, is mostly straight and has had the air suspension swapped for the poverty pack coil overs.

Not a lot of progress to date other than fixing everything that didn't work prior to ripping it out and selling it off to finance the purchase of more stuff to put back in. :shock:

Planned class is E/Pro, current record is 165 and change according to the website so well within reach. The stock US variants will reportedly do 150mph in factory trim and would do more but are speed limited. Aussie and Jap versions are speed limited to 180km/h and 6500rpm.

The engine is an all alloy, 32 valve, quad cam 4.0L that comes factory with 6 bolt bottom end. Stock HP was around 250 to 290 depending upon model. The early versions with their beefier rods can purportedly stand up to 800 flywheel hp before you should get scared.

The only Cd info I can find is from the US Lexus owners manual. It states .32 for the bare body and .31 with the boot spoiler. Mine also has the front lip that was never released in the US but did come out both here and in Japan. It has 21.5 feet of frontal area for the technophiles.

That's about it in a nutshell, I'll get a pic or two up later.

Cheers,
Rob
Last edited by Rob on Fri May 09, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Dreamliner 200

Post by Dreamliner 200 »

Hey Rob that's nice!

Slippery too! great choice.....

You going to build your own cage?

Funny car style? or will a multi point get it sorted?

Noice wheels, are they staying, or more to sell off for build funds?

See you at the Lake!

Graham :P
DLRA Member 752
Livin' the dream!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks Graham,

Definitely will build my own built cage and most likely will be multi point. I'll be looking at a few on the lake and have done a heap of research online plus talked to a few of the Yanks with similar sized vehicles. Most likely something along these lines though.

I like the wheels but no way am I going to run on a mag, particularly when I have no history on them. The spare is steel (16") and the BA Falcon steel rims fit too. I haven't checked the offset yet of the 17" Explorer spares. Steelies and moon discs are the order of the day.

One down side is the available diff ratios. Std is 3.916:1, the six cylinder version is 4.083:1. I am told the 3.2 Supra 6 speed manual diff can be fitted using an axle change on one side and shotening the talshaft 25mm. It shouldn't be too hard to fit an independant center from something else if I need to.

Cheers,
Rob
momec

Post by momec »

Picture tells a thousand words Rob. My 20 cents add a Larry bar and join both sides of the floor for and aft so if the body disintegrates your still in the cage. Chris

PS are set up to engine dyno 1uz engines now.
Acme Racing #251
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the input Chris,

That isn't my design but one I'd seen online. There is a cross floor bar in the pic but you can only see the ends, it runs under the floor at the base of the main hoop. Mine will run over the floor between the B pillars and on top of the rear seat riser, tied into the floor at the intersection of seat riser and tunnel.

Here's another one I was looking at though nothing cross floor in this pic.

Cheers,
Rob
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Gday Rob . Crikey yo got some pretty flash designs . This is all I had to have in the red NISSAN WAGON when I ran at the salt. Pretty simple hey !
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Rob

Post by Rob »

G'day Don,

That's definitely simple mate. I don't plan on stopping once I eclipse the record and don't want to be doing anything twice.

The car will be built to forced induction and 200mph+ standards at the outset. Hopefully you can see it in person next year.

Cheers,
Rob
penny

Post by penny »

maybe that is a bring your drivers suit in 2012 don thats the way i read it. infact you both have shared cars in the past. but this is me stirring the pot once again, paul
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

penny wrote:maybe that is a bring your drivers suit in 2012 don thats the way i read it. infact you both have shared cars in the past. but this is me stirring the pot once again, paul

Thanks Paul , you wanna come along for the ride too , and bring your brother too , we be like GNOME racing with 27 drivers :lol: :lol: :lol:
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Rob

Post by Rob »

NOW you know why I need monkey bars...... it's not to keep me in, it's to keep the monkeys out :wink:

From what I can see Don, the 1UZ is a popular (and cheap) engine in NZ.

Cheers,
Rob
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

DON NOBLE wrote:, we be like GNOME racing with 27 drivers :lol: :lol: :lol:

27?...don't forget Norm and Graham...........
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Rob

Post by Rob »

Got my piggy back ECU in the post today.

I went with the Greddy Emanage Ultimate that should see me right up to about 500hp according to a couple of experienced tuners I've been talking to on other forums.

This one also allowes me to ditch the 180km/h speed limiter and to set the rpm limit to whatever I want, stock is 6500rpm or just under.

Full details here for anyone interested:
http://www.greddy.com/products/display/ ... ategory=47

If you have the need and look online they can be found quite cheap but try to get one with the latest "E" main board. I'm stuck the the "Universal" splice and dice harness as they don't do a plug and pray for the V8 Soarer.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

Does anyone have an accurate dimensional diagram of the rear of a small block Ford? I have both the 1UZ and small block Chev but cannot find the Ford online.

What I am looking to do is make an adaptor plate that will allow me to bolt up an aftermarket scatter shield rather than have to completely reinvent the wheel.

The Chev looks like it will work but I have a top loader 3 speed and a single rail 4 speed "in stock" and that would help simplify things.

Cheers,
Rob
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Rob , www.lakewoodindustries.com . part # 15060. 3 speed toploader same as 4 speed.
Cheers,Bob.