Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC400 E/Pro

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Black Bull

Re: Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC400

Post by Black Bull »

Rob, RE: the jacking issue, is there a solid pad on the sills where the scissor jack goes ?

I could probably fab something up using a hydraulic jack and a cantilever setup to lift it.
As to the air bag jack, I've got one and it's about 90mm high, so that won't work either.
[img]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s285/nookymonsta/ForumBBAvicopy.gif[/img]
Rob

Post by Rob »

G'day Dave,

No jacking plates but I have it sussed thanks.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
neonasty

Post by neonasty »

Any news on this? How did you go with the cage?

Were thinking of entering a Soarer, maybe in 2012. However it'll be a twin turbo 6.

Did you end up using the Camry rims?
Rob

Post by Rob »

G'day Neonasty,

The Soarer is on hold until the inlaws house is sold which will hopefully happen just before speedweek. In the mean time I have been collecting engine parts as I decide which direction I am ging to go. I know what I'm going to do with the cage but have not bouth the tube yet, no point in having sit here rusting away.

Yes the 15" Camry rims fitted fine, same offset as stockers. I've welded the centers but not had the rims balanced until I add the tabs for the Dzus fastners for the Moon discs. I'm unsure if I will use 15" on the rear or a larger diameter at this stage.

I have a decent spoiler for the front now (thanks to Paul Penny for bringing it up from Adelaide last month). My VVTi heads and inlet are still in Los Angeles (since October 18th) and I wouldn't use or recommend John Cain again for that reason.

Where abouts are you located and yell if I can help you out. Are you coming to the salt this year?

Thanks for the interest,
Rob
neonasty

Post by neonasty »

Yeah Im coming, but just as a spectator.

I already own a JZZ30, and figure it would be great as a salt/street car. I've only driven it a few thousand Kms over the past 3 years, so thought it'd be a bit of fun in PS class.

Ive taken it to 240Kms before on a track, and it wanted to keep going but my pants stopped that. I figure with a big flat salt flat, me and a mate can see what it'll really do.

The Camry rims wont fit my soarer as I've done the Supra brake upgrade. Acutuslly the only model it will fit is the V8s, as the brakes are smaller. If your keep to upgrade get yourself a set of the turbo ones, they are a little larger. Actually I have a set here you can have for a song.

Im in Melbourne, but I'll see you in March. I'll be with the blue i30 with a mate,

Good luck
Rob

Post by Rob »

No worries and thanks,

Lack of brakes on the salt isn't really an issue, you have more than ample distance to stop along with at least one parachute as your speed climbs. Sell yours to someone else, put on V8s and use the Camry wheels, you should wind up with change in your pocket to boot.

Look me up on the salt, I will likely be either on the GPS start line or at the ice truck.

Cheers,
Rob
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

He'll be at the GPS Start line!!!!
Rob

Post by Rob »

You'll have to double last years salary though Paul :wink:
neonasty

Post by neonasty »

No worries, I'll keep an eye out.

Im in two minds about the Supra brakes. While they are awesome, they are also pretty restrictive with a minimum of 17' wheels and they have to be certain shape at that to clear the calipers.

I still have the Original TT brakes around and If were making all these modifications, we'd prob want to use the car at track days and other events just to get some more use out of it, so I wouldnt want to downgrade to the V8s.

See you in 6 weeks or so..
Rob

Post by Rob »

After a long sabbatical I've started spending on Soarer again this week. Namely a set of throttle bodies from a Nissan RB26. I still need a 4th pair so if anyone knows of one or a cheap set of three please do let me know.

Now that I have these I can buy a lump of aluminium plate and start to whittle the adaptor to the VVTi lower inlet.

Last edited by Rob on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGV

Post by RGV »

Where's the LIKE button?

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Thanks Rob,
There is a sad lack of car builds on this site, it will be good to see some shed action 8)
Chris
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks RGV and Chris.

The best 1UZ site I've found has recently gone from the internet and along with it much excellent information. The webmaster used to also sell CAD files for this adaptor plate and much more that would have simplified the whole operation. My adaptor will be marked out by hand, drilled then hand blended from the manifold "D" ports to the RB26 throttle bodies. Happily the centers of both items are equal making for a relatively simple deal. (Yes I know I will live to regret that remark!!!)

I am in two minds as to whether to run a plenum or leave them open. My original thought was to run them in a cold air box but that may require a scoop in the bonnet and that's not going to happen.

Cheers,
Rob
momec3

Post by momec3 »

An air box well sealed will allow positive pressure as the speed builds. (approx. .5psi at about 250kph for a basic design) ...HP advantages here. Also tidies up airflow around ram tubes.
Chris
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

doesn't n-e-c-e-ss-a-r-i-l-y have to be on the bonnet. Plenty of high pressure areas on a car......

Jeez, I thought this car must have been preserved in amber by now. :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..