BOSS STREAMLINER S/UF 925

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

TINY
Gear box verses gear box (with chain for coupling )could easily be reason for destruction . clutch slip itself from one engine will put unwanted backload on system .there is severe throttling on & off while racing speedway sidecars on some tracks (as they have no brakes ) also major back & forward load problems. Did ride twin engine speedway sidecar triumph myself about 10 years ago running just one gearbox (no problems)
TOP & BOTTOM LOADED BELT DRIVE BETWEEN ENGINES & FIRING ORDER SHOULD ELIMINATE THIS PROBLEM (I HOPE )
During testing & qualifying will run low gearing while sorting bugs , less stress to rear drive chains & clutch ( SCTA rulings state this type of vehical must have water sprayer on chains ).

Sprockets between 25 & 35 teeth this will be the major point of gearing changes

PS you must be someone special would not give up BIRD for nobody.
Maybe VOODOO ROCKET but hope not.
Last edited by ROSS BROWN on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
David Leikvold

a meeting

Post by David Leikvold »

Ross, see my post in General Information about our next BBQ meeting on 18 April. I suspect you will be the star of the show this time around, especially if you can bring the project with you. THREE engines!!! :shock:

Cheers
Dave
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

[imgImage][/img]

HERE IS
somewhat of a curly one ! ... REAR TRIM NOZZLE ...
Have read rule books quite well ,but could have missed answer.
DRIVER CONTROLLED AERO / STREAMLINERS.
That little nozzle on the tail can move about 30mm in any direction at the rear from its front pivot ,which can be moved left & right through linkages conected to idler arm of steering .up & down controlled by a indapendant lever in riders compartment.
The question is LEGALITY ?
POSTED in the LAND RACING HISTORY part of this site is the only place I,ve found to make mention of it .
But I,ve found nothing to substain it as a rule.
What ever the out come ! thereis 2 more choices
LOCK IT STILL or REMOVE IT.
Can someone enlighten me ?
Last edited by ROSS BROWN on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Ross , you are in the league of Wheeler , Manning , Ack etc, so you are better off getting guidance from the SCTA M/C guys on queries like this, I'm a car tech inspector/steward and have NO expertise in motorcycles at all(let alone streamliners) . It seems to me you have built / building a quality ride , and have obviously had advice from the U.S guys.

As far as i know , you could be the 1st in Aust to build a bike of this calibre, see ya at the meeting in a week or three.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Not the craziest bike I've ever seen but it'd be a top five contender :)
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

[imgImage][/img]

BOB
Thanks for the compliment,but Ive still got to get it through scrutinerring.
Until yesterday virtually nobody in the GREAT WHITE racing world new this bike exsisted ... YANKS INCLUDED ....
Those pictures on the wall behind the bike are what friends have given me or have been scrounged of the net. Have studied & studied & studied again the build of the ACK bike as it shows many construction pictures on the net . Finding pictures of the WHEELER bike is like finding a needle in a haystack & finding proper tecnical information on the MANNING bike is similar
Cant say Ive ever phoned AMERICA as I dont speak fluent YANK
but it looks like Im gonna have to learn.

CARBURATORS are kehin 41 FCR roller carridge flat slide , current calculations etimate bike will use 35 to 40 litres of metanol per run.
(Two sets would work well on a V8 car engine. 8) )
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

BLOWNVN
WHY THANKYOU
TOP 5 Thats an honour. but i do believe this guy is in a class of his own.
134mph & pointing his toes for aero :shock: :lol: (have seen it on utube but cant remember where)

..Image.

YA GOTTA LOVE THOSE YANKS
Last edited by ROSS BROWN on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Dr Goggles

check this guy out.

Post by Dr Goggles »

for once, I don't know what to say :shock: :shock: :shock:

.......but without being a knob-head do you have any provision to run it with 1,2 or 3 engines?........ I'm sure Mike Akatiff would be very forthcoming if you asked him for help on any part of the build.

It's a bloody huge effort Ross, you should be proud, I'll be looking forward to seeing it run, there's some big asses to kick in that class, it'd be great to see an Aussie in the running. I wish I'd been there at Don's when you told 'em that...."mumble , mumble yeah mate in ya dreams bahahahahah"......tick tock , three years later WTF!
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dr G

I was at Don's and no one laughed. We all tend to be sceptical until something is built. Amazing effort though and there is a line forming of people who are dying to see it (let alone hear how it works?). Trevor Slaughter also attended one of these early meetings and announced his streamliner which is also now almost finished. There seems to be some amazing engineering coming out of Qld???

Ross - can you explain how the engines operate again??? Have you changed the firing order of the three to minimise impact on the gearbox? Are you also coming along to the next BBQ? Bring more photo's if you do.

Lynchy
Rob

Post by Rob »

G'day Ross,

You don't need to phone to talk to the Yanks, a good portion of the US land speed community is on here and always willing to help, offer advice etc :

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

THE ADVENTURES of
DOCTOR GOGGLES
REVERENT HEADGASH &
THE TANK

Truly entertaining reading. Its a credit to ya,s

......... TIMING OF ENGINES .......
Have a look at the clock on the wall (not the digtal one) :wink:
Draw the numbers onto a piece of paper in a circle like the clock
no need for the hands .
Draw a circle around the # 12 this is the front engine firing on # 1 cyl above the circle put the #1
Then draw a circle around the # 4 this is the second engine firing on its #1 cylinder next to that put the number 5
Next the circle around the # 8 this is the third engine firing on its # 1 cylinder next to that put the number 9
Keep in mind that the firing order of each engine is 1 2 4 3 now just keep going around the circle until all the numbers have circles around them & numbers next to then & BINGO you have the firing order

........... VERNIER DRIVE .......
Splines on the crankshaft & its coupling so engines can be degree,d against each other .same as JAGUAR camshafts (do some homework).

YES GOGGLES
Flick front belt of pull ignition feed of front engine, time rear 2 engines
as 8 cylinder &so on.

BAD NEWS BOYS (AM HALF BREED ) Spent first half of life in NUZ & second half in AUS have alliance to both countries & the QUEEN

WHOM WATCHES OVER THIS BUILD WITH SOME SCORN :wink:
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Ross , that picture or Mrs Queen , She does not look impressed!

Was that portrait done after the Bastion Point marches , or when she found out you were using Jappa motors instead of Royal Enfield motors??

Have another Lion Red & keep on building bro!! Yep i'm one too.From the Waikato.

Was surprised to learn you have not been in contact with the "guns" in US , sure looks like you have a B'ville quality ride , am only about 1/2 hour south of you at Loganholme , as a streamliner , your safety gear will be the same as a 200+ car , suits , fire system , belts , etc , am happy to do a 'pre tech' if you require.

Cheers , Bob.
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

This picture is a bit earlier in the build . ( sorry for the jumble up )

[img][img]http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab115/SOLTOP10/streamliner%20925/TIGDAYS.jpg[/img][/img]

Shows begining of steering box being built. Gears have been pulled from the gearbox of a ZZR1100 engine, plenty lying around as speedway sidecars only use 2 gears, fast & faster , the rest of the gears get donated to other projects. such as VOODOO ROCKET . Some sort of ratio was worked out ,cant remember what, so dont ask!
(if it doesnt feel right it will get adjustments at the idler arm ) The gears were eventually recesed into that block & then its oposite housing got the same treatment & 2 of the jig holes X mounting bolts became also the primary steering stops! more of that later.
Last edited by ROSS BROWN on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

g`day Ross, about eighteen months ago Robbie O, was telling me about this `liner ya buildin :wink: ,, Mark B, checked it out last year, an told me next time i go to the big smoke to have a look :) ,,, great to see photos, ya doin well 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

STAYT,IE
No problems ROBBIE O has phone number.

Here is the basic technical information page 1 , page 2 has gone & hidden itself inside this infernal machine.

HEY BOB BRO
Do need pre tech inspection soon , Give me a couple of weeks to clean up some of my untidy work , organize the "PLAYSHEEP" magazines & put a smile on the QUEEN. ...... will be in contact....

ROSS
Last edited by ROSS BROWN on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925