Another belly tanker, QLD

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

sammj

Post by sammj »

Just had a look at the slide show thingy on the main page (inbetween jobs at work)
Just out of interest is there any build diaries or info around for the John Lynch or Broughan brother's bely tankers?? Did a quick search and couldn't find any although the slide show was from 2004.

Marked out the belly tank on the garage floor last night and rolled out an engine gearbox etc to see how it would all fit. I was actually surprised how large it was :shock: but a vw motor/box is pretty small. I even rolled out an old 12a rotary to have a look, it's a better shape again but then there's all the plumbing...... mmmmm i'll have to think about this now... greater HP, greater RPM,smaller, damm it's getting caried away already!

Just sending my application away to the DLRA today so i'll get the rule book soon hopefully and i can put pen to paper.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Hi Sammj,

As far as the rules go it is strongly recommended that you invest in a copy of the SCTA rule book if you intend building a new car.

Our technical officers are commencing to upgrade the DLRA rule book in order to bring it into line with current safety and construction standards.

Bob Ellis is one of our tech's and will be spending time on behalf of the club working with the SCTA tech inspectors at Bonneville this year.

He is the guy to talk to if you have any queries.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

sammj wrote:Just had a look at the slide show thingy on the main page (inbetween jobs at work)
Just out of interest is there any build diaries or info around for the John Lynch or Broughan brother's bely tankers?? Did a quick search and couldn't find any although the slide show was from 2004.
I did the slide show with a mate from the Age newspaper.Lynchies tank is a blown Keith Black methanol motor, it has a lot of sprint car in it with torsion bars etc. The body was custom made from Al.It has a massive custom built nine inch based quick change rear, have you planted an orchard of money trees????.

The Broughan's build diary was here....

http://www.users.bigpond.com/jbrough/lakes/lakes.html

but appears to be down at the moment.
sammj wrote:Marked out the belly tank on the garage floor last night and rolled out an engine gearbox etc to see how it would all fit. I was actually surprised how large it was :shock: but a vw motor/box is pretty small. I even rolled out an old 12a rotary to have a look, it's a better shape again but then there's all the plumbing...... mmmmm i'll have to think about this now... greater HP, greater RPM,smaller, damm it's getting caried away already!.
Remember , air cooling makes drag...

Have you thought about a bike motor?....or one of the DOHC Jap fours?....or what about a V6....don't laugh....it's been done :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Rob

Post by Rob »

No matter which way you go, do your research, come up with a basic plan of what you want to do, what you want to run and (short of compromising safety) stick with it.

If you start changing your mind half way through a build it'll get expensive, take longer and you may wind up discouraged.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Rob wrote:If you start changing your mind half way through a build it'll get expensive, take longer and you may wind up discouraged.
You will end up discouraged, unless you are a robot. You will learn things on the way that you didn't even know you didn't know ( "unknown unknowns") you will dispel firmly held ideas you had when you started, and you will have fresh ideas, or see things you weren't aware of....

It will take longer than you thought, unless of course you are expecting it to take forever, then you might be pleasantly suprised.

and.....sorry to say but whatever happens it will be expensive, the only other alternative is very expensive. Anyone who says this can be done on the cheap hasn't done it.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

sorry, forgot to add...............................................................................

But, when you finish you'll relish every minute of it....
sammj

Post by sammj »

I have the basic concept in my head but am waiting on the rule book before i get to carried away with exact design. Right now i,m collecting parts and INFO
I should reinterate we want to do it a "cheaply as possible" not "done on the cheap" which would equal crap.
Thats one reason why i posted before the first cut as I knew there would be lots of unknown unknowns (I loved that speach by Rumsfield, he said so little yet spoke so much!) and if i can avoid stuff ups it will save time and money.
I am glad i did cause the feed back is all usefull.

Cheers
T-34

Post by T-34 »

You might want to consider getting hold of a copy if the SCTA rule book too. IIRC there is a possibility that the SCTA rules will be adopted in their entirety.

The DLRA rules are taken in part from the SCTA rules, but from what I gather, maintaining the rules would be simpler for the DLRA if the SCTA rules were adopted in full.

I borrowed a copy when I did my cage so that I could make it comply with both sets of rules. I found that there were some minor differences, and that there was some additional info in the SCTA rule book that proved to be handy - there was definitely value in having a copy.

Plus they list all of the Bonneville / mirage records - worth it for this alone.

Mick.
#809Image
sammj

Post by sammj »

Thanks guys, I have now ordered the SCTA rules. Cost was $10 for the book and $34 for postage and handling, i wonder how much of that is "handling" :wink:
$55 Aust all up.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Are the SCTA rules going to be adopted at some point in the near future?

I'd like to know before I start laying any money down.
T-34

Post by T-34 »

blownvn wrote:Are the SCTA rules going to be adopted at some point in the near future?

I'd like to know before I start laying any money down.
Would probably need to get this answered direct by the DLRA committee, I gleaned this info from Bob Ellis when speaking with him about my cage. The conversation was that it could be adopted as early as the 2011 event.

One of the big cost differences IIRC is the adoption of HANS restraints - not a cheap exercise - even more so, if you've already bought a lid that does not cater for it.

Mick.
#809Image
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Bob Ellis will no doubt confirm this but the word is that for anyone contemplating or building a new car then they should work in accordance with the current SCTA rule book.

Cars already running will be given some time to upgrade their vehicles to meet the new regulations.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Okay guys, sounds like I need to buy another book. :)

My wife is already making eyes about my reading choices of late, (ie: Bluebird and the Dead Lake, and World's Fastest Diesel), but we've come to an agreement. i clear out some of the spare cars in the shed and then I'm allowed to build a salt car.

I won't hijack this thread any further, I'll start my own at an appropriate time.
T-34

Post by T-34 »

blownvn wrote:we've come to an agreement. i clear out some of the spare cars in the shed and then I'm allowed to build a salt car.
Ha - I had same agreement - I can recommend getting the salt car first and then conveniently 'forgetting' about getting rid of the others - lol.
#809Image
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

T-34 wrote:
blownvn wrote:we've come to an agreement. i clear out some of the spare cars in the shed and then I'm allowed to build a salt car.
Ha - I had same agreement - I can recommend getting the salt car first and then conveniently 'forgetting' about getting rid of the others - lol.
The missus has fallen for that trick once or twice before, I don't think it'll work this time. :)