Universal chassis

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

David Leikvold

front wheel

Post by David Leikvold »

Hoof, you could always do a Jack Costella and make an aluminium (note correct spelling :wink: ) front wheel in whatever diameter you like once you exceeded the speed rating of the H-rated 145 R10. By the way, what do you use on the outrigger?

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
BONES

universal chassis

Post by BONES »

Hoof there are no secrets.
After much confusion and deliberation with the degree wheel on the cam and a piece of welding wire on the tappet to make it follow the cam I came up with these numbers

IO 26 btdc
IC 60 abdc
ExO 50 bbdc
ExC 30 atdc
lift @ cam 7.8mm .307''
This is verry rough. I will make a decent fixture and get accurate numbers soon
I'm hoping to run 140 unstreamlined.The current record is 131 by a harley
If it dont go fast enough I'll tip in a bit of nitro
Ross
I helped Terry Prince with the belt primary on his Vincent. It is holding up well. Used 8mm GT belt 2x25mm.
Terry went to gates with a centre distance and a gear ratio and came hame with a pair of pulleys.
I doo think they are good--- just after some more info.
Alex will start on his while I'm away
cheers Bones
Hoofhearted

Re: front wheel

Post by Hoofhearted »

David Leikvold wrote:Hoof, you could always do a Jack Costella and make an aluminium (note correct spelling :wink: ) front wheel in whatever diameter you like once you exceeded the speed rating of the H-rated 145 R10. By the way, what do you use on the outrigger?

Cheers
Dave :D
The sidecar wheel is a 5" kart wheel. Tom Evans, motorcycle tech head, has OKed it to 130. But at Bonneville last year he did say that he would support me (if I go over 130) if I appealed to have the limit raised to 140 on my sidecar. Talk is cheap. I want to get over 130 to see if he will do it. I can see a bit of a firestorm if I'm allowed to run over 130 with H rated tires and others aren't. There was a Harley sidecar at the June El Mirage with a steel sidecar wheel. It was allowed to run which surprised me. A neat way to get the sidecar weight requirement.

Bones. Is the 131 on gas or fuel? Is the Harley a single cylinder Sporster ala Keenan Tatro?

I've never checked the inlet and exhaust opening timing. I've always timed it from the inlet valve fully open and piston BTDC. I must run my valves and see where they are. Not until after the season though. Still going to be here in Sept.?
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Sept the Aussies invade ElMirage :D made my rookie run in 08 and hope to be able to open it up some this time
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

Looking forward to seeing y'all. Sept. is a lucky month for me. 07 and 09 I managed to set records.
BONES

universal chassis

Post by BONES »

Made up a jig to bolt to the cylinder so I can check the valve timing propper[img][img]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... GP3819.jpg[/img]
Still haven't got a gearbox--- can't do the primary drive or spacers for the rear sprocket.
Hoof, what primary ratio do you use?[/img]
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

Fancy jig!!! I could put that to good use! I do the timing with the head on and a dial gauge on the inlet valve. I've been told thats the only way to do it. But there are many ways to skin a cat. I like your idea a lot better. My way is a pita!

On the Norton I'm running a 24/42 primary and a 21/42 final. Thats with a 100/90 19" rear wheel. On the sidecar I'm running 26/42 primary and 21/ 47 final with a 100/90 18" wheel. I have a 28t. sprocket for the sidecar engine on order through work. It was supposed to be here a week ago but disappeared in transit. Another is on the way but it doesn't look like it will make it before Bonneville. I have an old 19t. Weslake sprocket lined up as a donor (for the splines) but even if it arrives I don't think I'll have the time (see beach trip for the better half) to machine it. I think if I lean it out enough it can run 125+ at Bonneville. You know the old saying "Run rich. Run all season". I'm guilty of that. With Cosworth pistons $200+ I can't afford too many. 2005 El Mirage season was 5 runs, 3 pistons, a rod and a crankshaft. It was beans on toast for a good while after that season!

I wanted ask how you are going to start the wee beastie? I used to kick mine but as time went on I got to the point where I couldn't. I used a small engine to spin the back wheel and it worked pretty good. For the sidecar I made an adaptor on the engine sprocket and use a Dodge truck geared starter. That one I am in love with! So much so I did the same for the Norton.

Heres a couple of shots of the starter set up. Its dead easy to make and works a treat.

By weslake at 2009-03-09[/img]
By weslake at 2009-04-08

Heres the starter in action. May El Mirage. Making sure it starts. Nothing worse than to get to the line and find it won't start!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ9xPClCCIA
BONES

universal chassis

Post by BONES »

I know about rich and safe--when the sidecar world championship came to Australia I had a go with a borrowed 500 krauser. Here is the result of trying to go faster
[/imImage
+a crank
the engine came with a 19t engine sprocket and triumph has 43 on the clutch. I'll change to 24 engine which will give a better rear sprockt.
Had to make the jig as there is no valves,rockers or pushrods.
Hoping to start the bike speedway style--with the back wheel
On methanol jetting should not be too critical--rich unless verry rich is ok
but lean is NO good
Made a similar starter with a starter from a toyota landcruser for my mates vincent but had to back it up rear cylinder on compression otherwise it wouldn't turn over. We'll have the vincent at BUB. SC-VF 1350
cheers Bones
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

Thats a well nibbled piston! The rear wheel spin starter I used I had to back the Weslake on compression or else it wouldn't turn over. The new starter doesn't care where the piston is. It just cranks. Too bad you aren't nearer. You could have the rear wheel spin starter. I'll never go back to it. I love the crank starter too much!

[img][img]http://a.imageshack.us/img151/3225/0592cnl5.jpg[/img]
By weslake at 2007-06-27[/img]
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

Well, I've made it to the last day of having to sit on the beach and watch the shark biscuits surf. So far I've surprised myself as I haven't bitched or moaned once. But the cloc sure does slow down here. As soon as I get home tomorrow it will speed up again as the Bonneville thrash begins. I (think) the sidecar is ready t go but it will get a major once over. Any Aussies going to Bonneville?

Miss my mess.

[img][img]http://a.imageshack.us/img208/9125/img1665n.jpg[/img]
By weslake at 2010-08-01[/img]
Last edited by Hoofhearted on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Yep
I'll be there
G
They make it
I make it work
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

+ 4 (Big Gaz, Lynchy, Andy Jenkins and Bill).

Grumm - we'll keep an eye out

Lynchy
BONES

universal chassis

Post by BONES »

The Vincent is packed and ready to fly
[/img]Image

see you at BUB and El Mirage

Bones
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

Some packing!!!! Good luck!. See you at El Mirage.
ROSS BROWN

Od'e to a vincent

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Here ya go Boy,s
Just pinched this of the "yankies"
Od,e to a1952 Vincent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW-w0KgE-8s

Wish I was going

RIDE SAFE
.. RIDE FAST
..... GOOD HUNTING

.....Cheers Ross