Post by Mossy »

G'day Bones
Yes, the baffles are taking up room on a shelf in the shed
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
Mossy

Re: 50 T-Bird

Post by Mossy »

Well, after 3 years we finally got to the Salt. I was hoping for a speed in the high 90's so was very happy with my first ever run on the salt at 103 mph. :D
And I was even happier next day with a 108 mph run. :D :D :D
Was a pity about the head wind Thursday afternoon but we still cracked the ton on the main track.
And as an added bonus I didn't fall off and the bike is still running (sorry Tiny) :D
Heres a couple of pics in its natural habitat.

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
big chook

Post by big chook »

Good lookin Trumpy Mossy , looks right at home on the salt , congrats on the 108 . cheers Mick
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Well done Mossy, It was good to meet you in person mate.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Rob

Post by Rob »

Well done guys, well dressed crew too.

Thanks for the help on the GPS track, without guys like you it wouldn't have happened.
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Well, after having a bit of a rest from Speedweek I've started on stage 2 for next year.
I have another head which takes T140 valves so once they arrive from the UK we'll pull the standard head off and fit the big valve head. I'm also going to twin 30mm Amals from the single carb I ran this year.
One of the things that amazed me was how little salt damage (rust) there was on the bike. That was until I looked under the bottom triple clamp this week and noticed the steering damper plate :shock:

This will be getting a coat of paint in the next week.

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Yeah Mossy, if you want the rat rod look it don't take long after you get home. :lol:
Amazing how fast it works.

Chris
Chris
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Hi Mossy,
I have been building a bike to run in MG750 since the test day last year at Tailem Bend, I havent posted a pic on this forum yet but I took a pic at the test day cos I loved your colour scheme and have been planning on something similiar for my Honda, hope you dont mind. Hopefully the photo attached works out.
I was impressed with your speed , thought you done well ( you must have got the blueprint side of things spot on eg valve timing)
I am glad your continuing with your project with Bonny type specs. There was a really nice trident there that run 115 to 118 so that would a great bench mark to aim for.
I'm an old jap crap man with a 1970 Honda cb 750 ( MG750) born and bred in Iron Knob and Whyalla. In early 70's I used to enjoy an annual trip up to the Morgan mile speedway and on the way used to meet the Adelaide bikie boys at Eudunda ( they all road trumpies and commando's then as the harlys couldnt get out of town without breaking down) and we had some great racing from dunny to Morgan. ( no open road speed limit then )
From those great road runs the mph numbers the trumpies are running at the lake are as I remember them, There wasnt a big speed difference between them and my stock honda 750 the main difference was who got to Morgan first :D :D :D :D :D :D everytime :D :D :D
My Honda was 110 two up 120 solo..... the trumpies were single carb just over 105mph the stock bonnies about 110 , hotted up bonnies about 115 solo. Tridents I remember as giving me a run at approx 115 to 120 solo. The modified bonnies went hard like the Honda The only problem they had as we all know was they couldnt sit on that speed from Dunny to Morgan and I won some good bets, :D :D :D Sorry Mossy my humour sucks, but genuinely confirming your right on track with your speeds from my experience.

I was inspired when I seen the bikes at the tailem bend test and started to build my Honda, life got in the way and I couldnt make the Feb meet but I went to the lake on Sunday , Monday and Tuesday to have a look , seen your bike their as well, bloody hot and the flies drove me nuts but I got the fever baby.
I'm enjoying your build Mossy I like the way your pumping out the pics and makes me feel like getting out the shed and keep up with you.

The lake has changed a bit since I was there as a kid . Used to ride out from the knob on our trail bikes, fang all over the lake rounding up roos, now its like a adelaide suburb. cant poo here or there.... ah well thats progress..........hell I miss the old days.
regards Mossy ... Johno
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

G'day Johno
Glad you like it. The more yellow vehicles the better, dunno why, but I just find anything painted bright yellow looks good.
Looking forward to seeing your build progress. I've got the new valves and have fitted the new guides to the head. We've got a bike show in Pt Augusta in couple weeks time then after that I'll swap the heads over and work on getting the twin carbs set up. Then I have to work on a small problem that has appeared between the lh carb and magneto.
Though I must say work has been a bit slow lately due to the bloody cold weather.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Hi Mossy,
I tried a yellow paint yesterday on my components, it looks shit, washed out pale yellow , not the golden sunrise I was expecting.
I will start again and am looking for a nice classy yellow, Honda , Ford and Holden have nice looking yellows but I am curious what is your yellow,
I kinda really really like it.

We might have to share a pit together if were colour coordinated...........need good sunnies though :D :D :D
johno
LeeReader

Post by LeeReader »

hey mossy,
been following this thread for a while for inspiration mate. iv just started the build thread on my trump, go check it out. hope to meet you on the lake one day. cheers
Readers Auto & Cycle
3/31 Westchester Rd Malaga, Perth
www.readersautoandcycle.com.au
www.facebook.com/readersautoandcycle
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Johnno
The colour on mine is Rover Golden Yellow, used by Rover I believe in the late 60's.
Just fitted another head to the bike with bigger inlet valves (up from 1.440" to 1.600") along with twin carbs. Just got to sort out cables and things to get it going again.

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Thanks Mossy,
I 'll check the coulours out , I was planning to go to local painter and ask the question , I'm sure they will have a colour code for a modern car like Rover :D :D :D
The valve change should make a big impact, will be interesting to see what changes you have to make to get the benefit., got any ideas Mossy ? carbs, exhaust , valve timing, gearing ,
I'll post a pic on my thread of my ports progress in the US
Cheers Johno
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

The last bits I've been waiting for finally arrived this week.

Guess what I'll be doing this weekend :D

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959