50 T-Bird

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Mossy

50 T-Bird

Post by Mossy »

Just to get the ball rolling, here's a pic of basically what was laying around the shed last year when I decided to build a racer.
Not much but it was a start.Image

Cheers Mossy
PS Don't expect a rapid build, I'm aiming for 2012[/img]
DLRA # 959
ROSS BROWN

In the begining

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Yea Yea Mossy :D
And once wev'e finished this weeeeee project kiddies,
Well be taking this pigs ear & transforming it into a silk purse. :shock:

going to be interesting restoration / rebuild

Cheers Ross
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Ross, Do ya reckon this looks a bit more promising? :D

I now consider there's enough bits there to make a proper start on the build. You may also notice I have replaced the set of 10" over fork tubes with a set of new std tubes, that should cut down on windage quite a bit. :lol:
One question I have, how important is it to reduce weight on a salt lake racer?
Cheers Mossy[/img]
DLRA # 959
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Weight reduction is not as important as reducing frontal area Mossy, remember how SMALL those pre-unit rigid frames are , think of where your ass has to be to get your head and shoulders from turning into a wind sock.
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Dr Goggles

huh?

Post by Dr Goggles »

Kme, there's a picture of a motorbike with books in the background.....is that at someone else's house Mossy? :shock: It might be photoshop though :wink: ........

Being realistic , I haven't looked into what sort of speeds you're gonna be running Mossy but as Tiny said the frontal area issue is at the top of the list for those sort of classes, you don't need ballast with the amount of power you'd be putting down.... the more you weigh the slower you will accelerate...when you start getting into the 70mph bracket the wind resistance will start to rise rapidly slowing your acceleration more....If the bike can reach it's top speed in 2 miles then the weight isn't an issue...but if it can't you need to reduce losses by reducing weight and or frontal area.... Tiny is the man with the wis in this area, I wouldn't know if....hang on MY ARSE IS ON FIRE!!!!
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

G'day Doc
Same bits, different shed.
First goal is purely to get it going, get to the salt and do a couple of runs without anything breaking. If I do 80mph the first year I'll be happy.
Then its just a matter of making it go a bit faster each year after, sounds easy :lol: :lol: :lol:
So frontal area is the first thing to concentrate on, power/weight ratio second.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
ROSS BROWN

life is good

Post by ROSS BROWN »

WOW
This is impressive , only 2 posts and youv'e got it the house :D
But I do feel it should be moved to the lounge room and built on the coffee table. ( lets see ya pull that one off ) :P

Did read somewhere that when it comes to landracing two rules apply
1: when it comes to engine parts, throw them in the air and if they come back down they are to heavy.
2: and as for chassis parts , if you can pick them up they are to light.

As for the T bird concentrate on rule 1, unless you yourself weigh less than 40 kilos ringing wet.

Keep it coming
Ross.
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
penny

Post by penny »

ross brown " As for the T bird concentrate on rule 1, unless you yourself weigh less than 40 kilos ringing wet. "
talking to a prostock motorcycle racer once about his opponent when he said,"what chance have i got he weighs about the same as a carton of beer"
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

penny wrote:talking to a prostock motorcycle racer once about his opponent when he said,"what chance have i got he weighs about the same as a carton of beer"
Ahh, but would that beer be light,,,or heavy beer ?
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
SPOOK

50 T bird

Post by SPOOK »

Great start for a vintage racer Mossy. The pre 55 Thunderbird is a good solid motor to start with and the cast iron head can be ported to late model specs. There are two models of heads, one being a high compression one and that is the one to get. It has one more fin than the low comp. one that has four fins if my memory serves me correctly. I see you have a lightweight crank, imo the heavy one is better. Anyway if you need porting and valve specs. I can supply them....Cheers, Russell.
Mossy

Re: 50 T-Bird

Post by Mossy »

Morning All
First progress update.
Frame has been blasted and painted. New headstock bearings and yokes fitted. Rear guard set up, welded and primered. Finally found the bits to complete the gearbox. Waiting for a couple of packages from the UK and one from the US to enable the forks to be finished off.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Morning folks
Second update. Forks are now in place with new stanchions, bushes, seals and gaiters. Forks are mostly 57-58 but with the 1" shorter duplex type springs. Started making some rear set footpeg brackets, they could be further back but I'll try the original Triumph position as used on the Grand Prix and T100's with the reversed gear lever and see how it feels first.

Frontal area looks quite small, it will probably triple in size with me on it

The head is a 5 fin T110 type I found on e-bay in the US a few weeks ago. Also have a selection of sprockets on their way
from the UK.

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
SPOOK

Post by SPOOK »

Hi Mossy. The other day I was going through my heap of old stuff and found a correctly ported 5 fin head with "Race Kit" alloy manifold affixed. Are you interested? I will try and take some fotos. and send them to you. I am not good with computer stuff, so it may take a bit of time. Cheers Russell.
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

G'day Russell
Most definitely interested. I'll give you a ring over the weekend when I find your number.
Been finding a bit of info on the net about the old Class C and Class A salt lake racers at Bonneville in the 50's and early 60's.
These things go quicker than I thought was possible.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Time for another update. Found a Bates style seat, folding footpegs and complete steering damper assembly on e-bay lately.
After fitting the seat and footpegs, I found the first set of footpeg mounts were too low and too far forward, so made another set up which seem OK. Bought a new set of fuel tank mounting rubbers and bolts and made a new front bracket and also bought a new g/box sprocket.
Next items on the shopping list are a set of primary drive cases and a good set of 8 stud barrels.
Cheers Mossy

DLRA # 959