50 T-Bird

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Mossy

Re: 50 T-Bird

Post by Mossy »

Time for a quick update.
Finally got around to some serious stuff, though progress has been slowed somewhat due to a problematic V8 taking up a lot of time lately.

Put the crank in the lathe and remachined the oil feed quill and polished out a scratch across the flywheel.

Then fitted rods and bearings

Heated the cases

and cooled the crank

Then put it all together

Dialed in the cams

and checked piston to valve clearance

Pistons have been fitted and barrels bolted onto cases.

And in between working on the V8 I'm getting the head ready to go on.
New guides have been fitted, seats re-cut, valves lapped in and chamber cleaned up with a grinding stone. Just have to polish the combustion chambers and assemble valves into the head and that will be ready to go on.

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Keep at it Mossy, not long to go now :!:
Cheers,
Trevor
penny

Post by penny »

I,m off to bed shortly and cant wait to get up in the morning and check this thread to see what mossy gets under the tree .
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

First update for 2012.
Hasn't arrived yet Paul, but I found a recon magneto with manual advance on Ebay UK that I bought myself for xmas.
The major job I got done over the xmas break was lacing in the new rim and spokes and fitting the new tyre to the rear wheel.

Completed the front end which entailed drilling and lock wiring drain plugs and axle clamp bolts, filled forks with oil, balanced front wheel and made new brake cable. The brakes are for test days but for the salt I shall remove the brake shoes and levers.
Wired up ignition kill switches. Used a dip switch for the handlebar switch and outboard motor switch for the lanyard switch.

Finally I got the carby on with up a new throttle cable. Drilled and lock wired engine, gearbox and oil tank drain plugs

Motor is almost complete. I just have to make a new timing cover bush and engine steadies. Fit the front rocker oil drain pipe when it arrives (courtesy of Spook), fit and time the magneto, fit the oil pump and oil lines and fuel lines. Then put the primary transmission together and we'll be ready for a start up :D .
Then its just a matter of finding a set of rear wheel nuts, make the chain guard and fit the number plates. :D :D

So at this stage I'm still on track to be at Tailem Bend for testing on the 4th Feb.

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

And Paul, look what arrived yesterday :D

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Ah! Lucas the prince of darkness :lol:
momec3

Post by momec3 »

And why DO Poms drink warm beer.

Chris
Chris
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Probably because their fridges also have Lucas wiring, & keep stopping!
OLDPOP

Post by OLDPOP »

If you have problems with the Lucas electrics I thought this might help
http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

Regards

Phill H
DLRA # 1102
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

OLDPOP wrote:If you have problems with the Lucas electrics I thought this might help
http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

Regards

Phill H

Phill

I think you'll find that's wiring smoke and may not work in magneto's
G
They make it
I make it work
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

It's likely that its metric smoke too, great shame the loss of the great British smoke manufacturing sector. Another common mistake is to replace the smoke but not replenish the stinky yellow grease.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

I have also seen Lucas regulators fail when the water in them leaks out :D :D :D
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Friday morning I was still waiting on 4 parcels from the UK. Friday afternoon the wife brought home 3 of them.
The first contained the ex cam tacho drive nut. This was fitted and the timing cover screwed on.
The second contained the crank seal that goes behind the engine sprocket, this was fitted and the engine sprocket bolted on.
The third contained a clutch thrust washer and set of rollers. The only thing now stopping me fitting the clutch was the lack of mainshaft nut and washer, so these were removed from my TR6 and the clutch was bolted on and primary cover fitted.
Saturday morning I made some exhaust pipe brackets and bolted them on. Then went for a drive to Auto-Pro and bought some oil and spark plugs, then the servo for some petrol, then home again.
Put some oil in the primary casesand the oil tank. Kicked it over with no plugs to pump some oil around. Fitted new plugs and pushed it outside.
Before pics

Added fuel and at 10.30 on the 3rd kick she fired up :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sounded really good though it went that well I couldn't get it to slow down. It was idling at around 2,000+ on full advance and retarding the ignition would drop it to maybe 1,800 revs. :? :? Tried the ignition switch to kill it and that worked :D

After lunch I pulled the carby off to look for an air leak or something. What I founds was I had somehow made the throttle cable too short and it was holding the throttle slide up about 2mm. :oops: A bit of surgery on the outer cable and we tried again.
This time it ran perfect and I was able to get a reasonably low idle. Stopped it this time by pulling the lanyard switch and this also worked :D
After pics, note the blue pipes

Got the clutch cable made today and started getting the trailer ready for next weekends trip to Tailem Bend.
Hopefully the 4th package will arrive this week with the proper rear wheel nuts, if not JD is going to lend me some for next weekend.
Hopefully the only jobs left after Tailem Bend will be to make and fit the number plates and fit a tacho.

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
RGV

Post by RGV »

Looks the goods. Sounds the goods too i bet with those pipes. :shock:

See ya next weekend at TBMP.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Well done Mossy,,it looks the "duck's guts"
I had a flashback when reading the reving bit,,lol,,as a hairy ass'd 14 y/o I was fiddling with a T100,) ya know the drill, pull it down to see how stuff works)
It was rear wheel less, on blocks, with no kill switch, the only way I knew to time it was to keep advancing 'till it kicked back vigorously, then retard a bit at a time, kicking to check after each adjustment,,
! kick worked too well, it started,,MAN, did it start !, carb slide stuck wide open,,the thing screamed, my head though briefly of throwing it in gear to stall it,,oops,,no chain / wheel,,and the best option didn't exist (kill switch), so the auto pilot in me grabbed the HT leads to pull 'em off, but Mr BHT had better ideas,,once I grabbed the leads, he threw me off the back of the bike,,plug leads in hand,,arms twitchin'
At least I stopped it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :oops:
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering