E/PRO build - Project Bluebird

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

blownvn

E/PRO build - Project Bluebird

Post by blownvn »

So I've been kicking the tyres for a while trying to work out what I'm going to do. After coming to the Salt in '09 I've wanted to come back with a car. I've got a VN Sedan here that I've had for a while that I used to drag race with a turbocharged V6. It used to make around 450hp and run 11.9 on the quarter.

The car was quite a sleeper back in the day.

The trumpets were used to see how fast we could get the car over the quarter naturally aspirated. It ran 13.8 at 99mph with only 9.6:1 comp and a 3.45 diff ratio.
It was a very good manifold. Looked top,s and once we got things sorted it helped us down the track. I started with three 45mm throttle bodies and then stepped up to three 50mm throttle bodies, and eventually to some 10-12in long trumpets. Certainly got a few looks at the track with three trumpets sticking out of the bonnet.
The welding was done by Gary Carter in Sydney (02 9755 1264 - All Aluminium & Cast Iron Welding Services, Unit 4, 10 Childs Rd Chipping Norton NSW 2170).
The guy is simply awesome. I took the manifold to him with the top sliced off and the plate for the throttle bodies and he did the rest.

With the turbo is was much faster.

This was the first turbo set-up. Even without the intercooler (7psi) it ran 12.9 at 107mph on pure street tyres. With the 'cooler (10.5psi) it ran 11.99 at 114.76mph on slicks.

I tried to sell the whole thing once I'd ran an 11sec timeslip, but at the time no one was interested, although I did sell quite a few parts off it. Now I've got a rolling shell with some stuff still in it, but generally it needs a bit to be running again. On the plus side I still have a few performance parts left over like a brand new block and some Buick turbo rods and pistons and other bits. But the reality is that it's still some time off before the VN is ready to run E/BGC.
The main problem was when you were overtaking a semi-trailer and it'd come on boost and you'd be sideways smoking the tyres up beside the truck trying the get past.

On the highway it was near impossible to cruise at 110 because the the slightest hill would start to load the engine and then it'd start boosting and you'd be doing 160kph up hill with a light throttle. Lots of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17WyeMQzZ7c

The short block from the VN is now in the Spirit of Sunshine Lakester. I have a brand new block to fill so I sold the boy the old engine. It's a pretty tough little donk, I was real happy to see it run 193mph.
I don't want to run a turbo on the salt though, I've seen the problem Norm Bradshaw is having with the turbo taxi. I reckon a screw type supercharger is the way to go to control the engine output more precisely.

Which brings me forward to this weekend. I got a message from Craig Parker at Street Machine that his sister was looking to get rid of her EL Falcon. The towies offered her $100 for it and if I'd match that, the car was mine. Well seeing we already own an EF and an EL Falcon it was silly not to buy the car purely for parts. But then the story gets sweeter. The car still drives and is registered (until Wed, 1st Sept).

Now they reckon the car has done a head gasket or something. Well that's what their mechanic tells them, but they've been driving the car around anyway until they bought a newer car at auction. My main worry was getting the car here to home down near Albury. Paying $100 for the car and then $500+ for towing wasn't the perferred option. So I jumped on the XPT yesterday and trundled up to Sydney to check it out. I told Craig we'd take it anyway and he thoughtly delivered the car to my in-laws who are 5mins away from his place (but across the other side of Sydney from his Sister's place).

I rang the in-laws to check the car was there before I jumped on the train, and yep it was there all right. They reckoned it looked better than our EF or other EL. That was encouraging news seeing I was about to sit in the cattle cart for 7hrs.

When i got up there it was dark, but the car looked okay under the torch (don't they all) and so I decided to take it for a drive to fill it up before the trip back home.
Now we've owned six-cylinder Falcons since 1998 as family hacks, but I've got to say this one kills both our current drivers in terms of performance. They reckon they've put BARS leak in the coolant to fix the "head", but I can tell there a problem at all. The engine runs smooth and barely registers any heat at all on the temp gauge, and fried the tyres easy if you get too heavy footed.

So this morning I woke up at the in-laws, gave the car a quick check over. Tyres good, oil good, plenty of coolant and then started driving. And besides needing a pair of rear shocks (a bit floaty) it runs like a dream. Best $100 I ever spent.

It's not perfect though.

The hoodlining has sunk and grazes the top of my head (bloody annoying when you drive) and there's a rust spot hidden under the boot lid where it has obviously sat for too long with leaves trapped or something. There's also a few knobs missing and dash lights not working but over all, it's not bad.

So, on my trip back I've been thinking, as I do when I stuck in the car by myself for 5.5hrs.

Even though I can get a pink slip tomorrow, there's no point putting the car back on the road. It's not worth anything! Even if it was totally awesome in every aspect the car is only worth $4000 tops. With 13 years of shopping dings and scrapes this car isn't totally awesome. Add the hoodlining, rust hole and other bits into the mix and it's not worth fixing it and putting 12 months rego on to get maybe $1500-$2000.

But it would make a great salt car. Smile

The lean swoopy shape of the EL lends itself to high speed work as proven by several others on the salt. And the engine has got less than 200,000ks so it's pretty much good to go, (obviously I'm going to have a tinker with it anyway). The only real issue is that the car is an auto, but it'll do for shits and giggles.

So while I collect bits for my E/BGC Commodore set-up I figure I might as well have a play with the Falcon in E/PRO (or something similar depending on how much time and money I can put together). I don't see myself cracking Max's 179mph record any time soon, but at least it'll give me a chance to get some experience before I jump in the Commodore, which will hopefully make 3x the horsepower of the Falcon.

But yeah, I'm happy with the EL for $100. You won't believe it when I post the pics tomorrow. It's not the lowest I've ever paid for a going car, but definitely the lowest for a registered and roadworthy one.

Of course if anyone wants to chip in with some tips I won't say no. Smile
Last edited by blownvn on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blownvn

Re: E/PRO build - Project Bluebird

Post by blownvn »

Okay, so here's the pics as promised. The aim is to push the VN over 200mph with the V6, but the Falcon is here just to have fun. And to use as a learning tool.

I've also decided to give the Falcon a name (some I like to do with my major projects, the VN was named V6 Vengeance). Given that it's a Blue Falcon then naming it Project Bluebird isn't too big of a stretch, plus there's the previous name association with landspeed racing. :mrgreen:

The car has a couple bumps and scrapes, but nothing to stop it from hitting the salt next year.

Stock standard 195,000km 4-litre at the moment. Had a play with the G-tech this morning, it reckons 16.27 at 90.5mph over the quarter. not bad for a stocker.

Rust hole just below the rear windscreen, you can't see it when the boot is shut. I'll hit it with the wire brush and rust converter, then maybe some bog.

Interior is quite neat, almost a shame to rip it out.

The "chrome" hubcaps are pretty gay. Unfortunately the tyres are only H-rated so I'll need new ones if I want to go over 150mph. And I do want!
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

The Falcon ran out of rego yesterday so it's been moved in the shed to commence the build. Unfortunately we've got a bit on this weekend so it won't start this week but I'll be able to get into it shortly.

There's a couple non-essential parts that will be going on to the wife EL to fix some issues there. I've been boning up on the Ford forums to get some tips on cheap upgrade parts. there's some good info out there, but there's also some crap as well. For every person that says part XYZ works well, there's another person who says it doesn't do anything.

I was looking at my photos from 2009 at the couple of E/PRO Falcons already on the salt. I noticed they both run AU heads which is interesting seeing they seem to be the worst flowing out-of-the-box. One of my main concerns is the move to the SCTA rulebook (I'm sourcing one through Gary) which seems to be a fair bit more involved than the DLRA rules, especially in terms of rollcages, etc.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Any information on the two following cars (in regards to specs) would be great. I know no one is going to hand me their speed secrets on the platter, but any info would be helpful.

Rob Murdoch ran 155.709mph in this E/PRO EL Falcon in '09

Rod ran 117.662mph and John Burley ran a record of 128.442mph in E/GC in this EA. Can anyone tell me why this car was in E/GC and not E/PRO? Just curious.

blownvn

Post by blownvn »

So it looks like a I might have a diff for my salt lake Falcon. I stuck my head under the XE Falcon that's been languishing in my shed and it turns out it has a 2.77 rear end, and there's a good chance it's an LSD.

While it's a not a straight bolt in, apparently it's just a matter of different bushes and possibly a uni-joint change.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't know but possibly E/GC was an open record while E/Pro was 160.xxx in '09 and upped to 165.xxx at that meet.

Moe Boys did Doc's engine, the for sale section may reveal more info on it. http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1241

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Rob wrote:I don't know but possibly E/GC was an open record while E/Pro was 160.xxx in '09 and upped to 165.xxx at that meet.

Sure the record is softer but 2.2 of the rule book says, "All vehicles will run only in the lowest primary class/category for which they are legal".

I'm not looking to start a shitfight or anything, but the rules for Gas Coupe state, "must have an engine swap, quick change rear end, or a non-stock supercharger, any one of which makes the car ineligible for competition in Production class."

The car doesn't have an engine swap that would make it ineligible for production (OHC six with standard port and valve config), it doesn't appear to have a supercharger (unless there's a hidden nitrous kit), so I guess I'm wondering if it has a quick change rear end shoved under it. :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nitrous will switch it to fuel rather than supercharged I believe. No idea on the rest sorry.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Rob wrote:Nitrous will switch it to fuel rather than supercharged I believe. No idea on the rest sorry.

Cheers,
Rob
True, forgot about that.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Until such time that we have more experienced people involved with the technical side of rule interpretation and overseeing that the vehicle is entered in the appropriate class, the onus is upon the entrant to nominate the class that they wish to run in.
Naturally if you want to get your name in the record books you should pick a class that is soft or has open record status. :wink: :wink:
For example in 2009 an unnamed red and white belly tank with a Crummidore V6 set a club record for E/GL and the other team member in the same car set a record for E/FL.
My money is on the fact that the fuel in the tank was the same for both passes. :roll: :roll:
Nudge Nudge ... :P :P
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Maybe a dash of metho?
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Cookey wrote:Until such time that we have more experienced people involved with the technical side of rule interpretation and overseeing that the vehicle is entered in the appropriate class, the onus is upon the entrant to nominate the class that they wish to run in.
Naturally if you want to get your name in the record books you should pick a class that is soft or has open record status. :wink: :wink:
For example in 2009 an unnamed red and white belly tank with a Crummidore V6 set a club record for E/GL and the other team member in the same car set a record for E/FL.
My money is on the fact that the fuel in the tank was the same for both passes. :roll: :roll:
Nudge Nudge ... :P :P
Ay
It was obviously running a poor choice of fuel when a certain man of the cloth was driving
How else could you explain why it was so much slower :mrgreen:
They make it
I make it work
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Got my SCTA rulebook yesterday (thanks Gaz) so lots of reading to do.

Parting out my XE at the moment, so that'll delay things, but it also gives me the opportunity to rip the 2.77 diff out.