chassis half completed

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

gazzas landy

chassis half completed

Post by gazzas landy »

Wish i knew about salt lake racing was alive and well in oz years ago,I feel in love with this sport when Donald Campbell was here.I have half completed the chassis,the running gear is toyota beams engine ,toyota cellica box,hilux 2.75 diff.The car is a open wheeler, a cross between a1927 fiat 806 gran prix and a 1960 indy car,all components have been given to me from mates . All up the build should cost about 800dollars,the wife hasn"t got a clue , i call that mushroomed{in the dark and fed on bull----}.
David Leikvold

Re: chassis half completed

Post by David Leikvold »

Eight hundred buckaroos? For a whole car? Sounds perfect! Progress pictures please! Here's one I prepared earlier: http://www.netcarshow.com/fiat/1927-806 ... per_01.htm

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

Dearest parts will be the tyres,all machining i do myself,i have the use of all machines at work,cnc lathes,cnc mill,laser,water jet cutter,i told my boss i will stick company name on car .Will post build pics when i have finished painting goldwing[leadwing]bits. I knew someone would go looking for the FIAT806,the arse end on mine is a little fatter and longer,the nose section more streamline,ground clearance about 70mm,alloy body,fibreglass nose and tail sections. Cheers Gaz
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Gaz, don't rush out to buy the Goodyear LSR tyres at more than $3k a set, they aren't needed unless you think the car will definitely do more than 200mph at its first Speedweek. Save your money and use Z-rated road tyres. They come in lots of useful sizes and tread patterns and, by comparison, are remarkably well priced.

Cheers
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Welcome to the game ... Bro
Certainly sounds like an interesting build (at no cost) :lol: :lol: :lol:
and some nice tools to help along with the build.
Cheers
Ross
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day landy gaz, Save your money for the bloody safety gear, like something else can't live with it and ya can't live without it.
Welcome aboard Chris
Acme Racing #251
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Gaz, I forgot to ask, what is a "Toyota beams engine"?

Cheers
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

David ,toyota beams engine is a 24 valve 2lt ,toyota hands these over to yamaha and they tweek them,engine i have got is supposed to be pushing 300hp.The diff in donar vehical is shrapnel ,mate said to me take the whole car,it has 6 point race harness,motech,once i have taken what i need will be giving the rest away.The car is early cellica. Cheers Gaz. also known as F.G [Fat Gary]
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

Don`t know what class i`ll be in, don`t care,just want to haul arse and have an enjoyable time.Anybody wants to know what colour she`ll be,it will have more colours than an arabs jock strap. Cheers Gaz.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

gazzas landy wrote:Don`t know what class i`ll be in, don`t care,just want to haul arse and have an enjoyable time.Anybody wants to know what colour she`ll be,it will have more colours than an arabs jock strap. Cheers Gaz.

hmmm, you might just have to call it AJS racing :lol:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

Thanks Dr Googles that is perfect,AJS it is. Cheers Gaz.
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

FG,
Don't build a car that isn't completely legal for any class, you must build it to fit a class. This might help you with a class. Hmmm, open wheel custom body, not a replica of any production car, 2 litre engine. Sounds like G/GL to me. G is 1501cc to 2000cc, G is for Gas (pump petrol) L is for Lakester, but with 300hp it must surely be turboed (unless it has one of those nifty little Toyota superchargers) so make that G/BGL. B is for blown, i.e. forced induction. If you use nitrous oxide or methanol or nitro (!) you go into F for Fuel class. Get a copy of the 2010 SCTA rule book at the Hot Rod Show this weekend and learn it off by heart.

Build it all so that you can be justifiably proud of the quality of the finished car. It's much better to be on the receiving end of endless compliments about your building skills than having just as many people frowning, shaking their heads and walking off without saying a word to you. Make sure you involve Bob Ellis in periodic inspections of the car during the build so he can steer you in the right direction. It would be a very good idea to start a build diary with plenty of photos on this forum. People will be happy to offer advice and help to keep you on track and guide you through problems that they've already had themselves.

Don't skimp on personal safety equipment either. Don't try to use a second hand harness (it won't be legal anyway). The scrutineers are necessarily red hot on safety issues because the lake is a very long way from any emergency hospital surgical care.

I suspect the movie "World's Fastest Indian" has convinced some people that any old junk just thrown together from whatever's in the shed will be warmly welcomed and allowed to race no matter what. NOT true! If you present a car that, in the opinion of the scrutineers (and nobody else), is not fit to race, you won't race. It's a long way to drive for nothing.

Cheers
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

David just got back from checking engine, it is turbo,that will be gone.Don`t laugh,but i might throw on SU`s,4x1 1/2s i can see a few problems bugger it i give it aggo.Will be running pump fuel no nos,as of safety issue there will be no short cuts.Cheers Gaz.
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Excellent, very pleased to hear it. Ditching the turbo and fitting SU's? Hmmm, you won't be needing those Goodyears any time soon :wink: But it'll look almost period correct for the car so why not?
Inch and a half SU's take me back to a former life when I had a Mk11 Cooper S. Wish I still had it. Mind you, with all this rain around...

Cheers
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

This is what the vehicle will end up looking like.

Cheers
F.G
Attachments
Top View
Top View
Top-1.jpg (95.57 KiB) Viewed 24595 times
Front View
Front View
Top.jpg (199.26 KiB) Viewed 24595 times