Nissan Comp Coupe

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

lag waggon

Nissan Comp Coupe

Post by lag waggon »

As the title says im building a Nissan comp coupe, based on a 93 S13 Silvia. The shell is all but stripped out, just a side window to go. Next cut the front end off and cut out the floor and fire wall. The roof will be chopped 4 inches but that will be done later on.

I have started the new chassis its being layed out on the shed floor, the motor and box are in place but nothing is welded yet. roll cage is next and four link but im still waiting on a diff housing for that.

The cars wheel base is stretched 20 inches, could have gone more but i still have to get it in a 6 meter shed :). A more aero friendly nose will be made and a wing for good measure.

Nathan.
Attachments
As it started
As it started
Picture 691resize.jpg (73.22 KiB) Viewed 26298 times
Last edited by lag waggon on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*
Live Life In The Fast Lane.
2010 MPS/G 650 144.057 mph
momec3

Re: Nissan Comp Coupe

Post by momec3 »

Good stuff Nathan.
I presume it will be blown?
What engine class/es are you looking at?
What diff?

Chris
Chris
lag waggon

Post by lag waggon »

Yes chris it will be blown.
G blown gas at this stage maybe fuel later. If i cant get to where i want with G i'll step up to F but thats way down the track.
The engine is a 2 litre nissan 6.
As for the diff i was just going to put a 9 inch in it, as i can get the ratios i want, but i have been thinking about a winters quick change, but not sure if its worth spending that sort of money.

Nathan.
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*
momec3

Post by momec3 »

OK yeah the 9" is the only easy way to get the ratios.
The chew the power is the downside.
You sometimes see Winters for about $2500 but bit much for me too. Would make it a lot easier to fine tune the right ratio at the Lake but.

Chris
Chris
lag waggon

Post by lag waggon »

Did a little chopping this afternoon so the cars a bit shorter now.
Attachments
frontchopped.jpg
frontchopped.jpg (48.03 KiB) Viewed 26276 times
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*
lag waggon

Post by lag waggon »

frame rails layed out
Attachments
framedummy.jpg
framedummy.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 26274 times
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

Nathan if you need any brackets, gussets,or anything laser cut give me a yell,no probs,draw them up and i`ll have them cut and bent.(mates rates) cheers f.g
lag waggon

Post by lag waggon »

Thanks FG ill keep you in mind.

Well things are coming along slowly i've chopped half the floor out, still got the rear floor, tubs and strut mounts. I think by this stage i've gone to far to turn back :)
The chassis hasnt progressed any further as im still working out all the measurements and where everything will be located and how its all got to fit together.
Have made the decision to go left hand drive and to off set the drive line a bit.
One thing im not to sure about yet is narrow i can, or should go in the front wheel track?

nathan.
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

G`day Nathan and dad, all the best with ya build mate, probably wont be saying anything (as i have never built a car) but will be watching it progress on here 8) , :D ,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
lag waggon

Post by lag waggon »

Hi ron, enjoy the build.

Ok not really much been going on in the shed this week other than some more planning and i finally finished cutting out the floor, what a job that was. Next step is to start building the chassis inside the body. This way i'll know it will fit when the body goes on for good. I think i have finalised my roll cage desing and have someone to bend it up for me.

nathan.
Attachments
nofloor.jpg
nofloor.jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 26096 times
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Nathan.
Good progress, well done. Looks easy from the outside to cut out the floor, but a shit load of double panels and cutting discs and black snot.

We are both building comp coupes but my Daihatsu is in a far corner of the shed at the moment. I'm kind of ahead of you in that I have cut the roof.
Before you cut your roof please give us a call and come and look at the Daihatsu. I think it will help you to plan your chop better if you see the disaster that happens when you cut them.
We have the rule problem that says we can't lay back the pillars. Every pillar is angled so the new roof needs to be wider and much longer. This could end up looking like a flat top f#*k up.
This means you nearly need to make your new roof out of 2 roofs but you need to see my disaster before we both work out the best way to deal with it.

You asked a question about front track.
My thoughts were this will be dictated by your front nose design. (Form Follows Function F. Porsche) Function being the sleekest shape nose.
Remember in Comp Coupe you don't need front wheel archs and can run a full belly pan.
Turn the car upside down; all that should stick out will be the tyres/wheels.
Your call on nose design but the option is to Vee it to a degree from cowl sides to front as well as the other more obvious plane.
Study pictures off known stable designs in our speed range, we don't have the budget to reinvent the wheel. (sorry if you do I need a sponsor)
And don't be afraid to copy a bit.
It will always end up your individual build in the end anyway.
I have half drawn my projected design so we need to get together and compare notes.
Matthews coming over Sunday so give us a call.
BTW. We will always run in a different class, I'll be the one with the correct amout of cylinders. :P
Chris
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Chris,
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the SCTA rules that we will be using from now on aren't as restrictive about roof chops as the old DLRA rule. The only rules I could find when I got my 2010 SCTA rule book was the chop had to be even/parallel, i.e. no slanting of the roof. It's my understanding that the roof panel can be left alone and the pillars adjusted to suit. Bob Ellis built his car to SCTA rules.

Nathan,
That floor chop is amazing, good luck with the project. We'll have to have the next QTA BBQ at your place again so we can check it out properly. One question, is that the same Nissan you were doing a few years back?

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Thanks Dave
To be honest I don't understand the rule and would love it if you were right. Would mean my windscreen will be nearly flat and a lot less work.
I second that motion and a meeting is due. :P
Chris
Chris
lag waggon

Post by lag waggon »

Yes dave, it is the same car i built a gas coupe out of, Dad wants a go and i just wont to go real fast and with safety in mind and just wanting to be different i thought i'd go in this direction.

I'm not really sure if i know what im getting myself into here but i'll give it a really good go anyway, I do have a lot to learn along the way as this is a first for me. I've been studying the builds of many cars in the US and then trying to make things work in my application, it seems to be working so far. Thanks for the offer Chris and i will take you up on it ( not sure if the number i have for you is current ) because I've sat here many a night trying to figure out how to do the chop let alone fit it all back together :? I'm not to sure about your "correct number of cylinders" theory though :P

The rule about the roof chop in the SCTA rule book just say the chop must be even and no slanting the front screen pillars and minnium vertical winscreen height must be 5", but the rule book in the comp coupe section stats that the width or contour of the car must not change. :?
#680 *TEAM KRAZY*
RGV

Post by RGV »

From what i know about roof chops (not a great deal) the easiest way as far as pillars go is to quarter the roof, center line front to back and left to right. Cut the pillars, drop the

roof and fill in the gaps.

There is a fair bit on youtube showing how some ppl have done it, mainly Hot Rodders in the States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiX6HuCv ... re=related

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF