new to belllytank

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

gazzas landy

Re: new to belllytank

Post by gazzas landy »

Ean,go have a squis at this msa`s lakester[bockscar #1000]on the dyno. Cheers F.G.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

gazzas landy wrote:Ean,go have a squis at this msa`s lakester[bockscar #1000]on the dyno. Cheers F.G.
Ya might want to stick a link in Gaz....

That is Bob "Stainless" Steele's Lakester , Stainless spends a fair bit of time on landracing.com/forum , he's a smart guy and funny too. They've got the Bockscar( named after one of the B29's from Wendover) a bunch of bikes and Bob is also a half owner in an E Streamliner( yes with a Buick V6) with Jon Amo the former owner of landracing.com. Bob also seems to spend a bit of time helping Max Lambky with his twin Vincent engined bike liner....Graham spent a bit of time with them last year and I'm planning on doing the same this year...in the pot gut picture below you may notice we're all wearing "Speed Limit 100" shirts from Bob.....
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

Try this one Doc,google MSA`S LAKESTER(Bockscar #1000)on the dyno.Thanks also Ross,i`m back into it again. Cheers F.G.
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

Doc, loved reading the build of the spirit,pissed myself laughing,should make a movie of it. Cheers F.G.
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Hey Gazz
To post a " link" click on the address at the top of the page. with the right button' click on copy
and then hit the paste button to put it into your post.
http://www.streetfire.net/video/msas-la ... 204605.htm
Interesting dyno that .. wonder why they didn't go up into the taller gears.
All Good
Ross..

Ean , Welcome to show and tell .. 8)
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

Doc whats with the pot guts ,compared to mine you all have zits . Cheers F.G.(fat gary).
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Ross
I owned a Dyno Dynamics Dyno a few years back and they were pegged at 200kph with an option to up the speed to 250kph. They did,nt like to spin them faster cause shit starts to happen to the dyno.
I also had a workshop dog like that, deaf as a post but felt the vibes when the dyno ran and was attracted to it, strange dog. Did'nt realise the explosive force of motors under stress when the let go.
Neither did some of the guys in the video.
Example that shocked me when i worked at Cragsted. We were doing spintron testing for the control cam for V8SC and were changing rockers. Now the Spintron is a machine that spins a dummy motor without a real crank or pistons; just a plain shaft that runs a cam, lifters, pushrods, valves etc.
We were pushed for time and I had 2 guys helping me change rockers and set lash.
Take off all the rockers then fit 2 at a time etc till finished.
To gain time I sat all the pushrods in and one guy turned the crank with a breaker bar. Simple valve spring pressure. I'd fitted 4 rockers and luckily we were all standing in front of the motor; ( spritrons have no ring drag to increase friction) old mate turns the crank a little for the next rocker to go on and whomp, the motor spins from spring pressure only and all the pushrods exit the engine in a heartbeat. There were imprints in the ceiling. This was at zero revs. Imagine a pushrod at 8000rpms. Now imagine something heavier.
THINK OF THIS NEXT TIME YOU GRAB A THROTTLE ARM AND GIVE IT A REV. ARE YOU STANDING IN THE PLANE OF WHERE THE EXPLOSION WILL HAPPEN.
Sorry I'll hop back off the soapbox, but its something we don't all think about and Newton was right.
Chris
Chris
harky

Post by harky »

interesting chris
a looooong time ago i worked on F5000 , we were @ phillip Island and one of our cars had a major engine failure , (nothing left of any use ) (the genuine repco 5000 (308 holden)) .After the meeting a flag marshal came and asked if we wanted the conrod back that had hit his leg , he was we recon over a hundred meters away from where the thing went bang . didnt know a corillo could be rearranged like that -----work of art really . the marshal had a small cut in his leg .
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

You can stay on the soap box for this one Chris :wink: , its very easy to underestimate the forces that happen as rpm increase ,
2 i have seen that impressed me most were a piston landing in the pits at Calder , and a flywheel landing in the back pit shed at Heathcote :shock:
Yet i have forgotton i had my top gearing on my bike and run it to redline on my inertia dyno with just shy of 1/2 tonne roller , i was extremely nervous as i realised and waiting for it to slow down :oops:

And back on the subject , I think a 600cc bike engine could run 200mph fairly easy, best NA 750cc bike with good fairing design has done 211mph .
All going to depend on your understanding of requirements to go fast before you begin
momec3

Post by momec3 »

I think the guys with the biggest balls on bikes must be the Nitro Harley dudes. One bomb aimed at their head and one at their nut sack.
Sorry bit of the Bellly tank thread. :D
Chris
Chris