Street/Salt BSTR

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Huge

Re: Street/Salt BSTR

Post by Huge »

Well the week nearly ended up unproductive. When I got home I was all excited and keen to get balls deep into the box swap. And then-
Dr Goggles wrote:If we listened to all the helpful naysayers we wouldn't have finished.
Yep, some constructive critisim/oposing ideas were put to me. I then spent the next 3 days in a state on confusement :shock: The shifter wont fit... Linkages will be a nightmare... What to do? Am I doing the right thing? Maybe the Tremec will fit easier? But I don't want overdrive... Then a Corona 4 speed was dropped in my shed, with the owner saying I just knock you up an adapter... Man, time for a beer.
Then the wrong clutch turned up and the already faded buzz exited stage left. :cry:
A good thing came out of all this procrastination. I went full circle and arrived back at the Muncie. Had another look at the set-up. I had the pedals mounted on the first day off, but they were too close together even for my skinny feet. So with the clutch delay I remodelled the floor bracing to make more room for the pedals and also for the shifter. So I am again looking forward to getting home next week and getting stuck into it.
And yup, I've spent some time here, real nice car. Lot of thought gone into it.
Huge

Post by Huge »

Oh, and thanks to Carol. I recieved my membership stuff in the mail yesty! :mrgreen:
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Huge wrote:Well the week nearly ended up unproductive. When I got home I was all excited and keen to get balls deep into the box swap. And then-
Dr Goggles wrote:If we listened to all the helpful naysayers we wouldn't have finished.
Yep, some constructive critisim/oposing ideas were put to me. I then spent the next 3 days in a state on confusement :shock: The shifter wont fit... Linkages will be a nightmare... What to do? Am I doing the right thing? Maybe the Tremec will fit easier? But I don't want overdrive... Then a Corona 4 speed was dropped in my shed, with the owner saying I just knock you up an adapter... Man, time for a beer.
Then the wrong clutch turned up and the already faded buzz exited stage left. :cry:
A good thing came out of all this procrastination. I went full circle and arrived back at the Muncie. Had another look at the set-up. I had the pedals mounted on the first day off, but they were too close together even for my skinny feet. So with the clutch delay I remodelled the floor bracing to make more room for the pedals and also for the shifter. So I am again looking forward to getting home next week and getting stuck into it.
And yup, I've spent some time here, real nice car. Lot of thought gone into it.
hahahahahaha, THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!.......
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Huge

Post by Huge »

Back at work after a 2 week roady to Valla. Another great run, congrats to the Drag-ens who make it all possible. Bit of wind and rain but I think most paople had a ball. Image
4 days till we leave on big trip. Fark it, lets do it. Out with the engine and auto.(dunno why my pictures all end up huge)
Ye-olde Muncie. Hooked up to the Quicktime SFI rated bell. Inside is a billet flywheel, stage 3 organic clutch and pressure plate from Mal Wood with a Quater Master hydraulic throw-out bearing. A real neat setup I reckon. This box is the one I want to run, but it has an old crack repair that I had to re-weld. Very dirty and I'm glad the picture quality is poor and you can't see my welding! I have another good case which I will probably use with this ones internals. The other problem with this box is the extension housing has the speedo drive out the right hand side, right where the exhaust snakes through the chassis... Shifter is an old Mr Gasket that proved troublesome on the trip. No reverse the whole way down to Valla! Only forgot about it twice and had to ask people for a push :oops: I need to find a shifter with reverse lock-out. Think Hurts makes one.
So, I have 5 nights at work and then 7 days to get into the build. Plans are to strip the interior and juke box. Steering column probably needs changing as well. Then start on the tube bender that needs building so I can get into the cage. :D
Not nuch time to get it all happening. If this car makes it out there next march I'll be as surprised as everyone else :shock:
RGV

Post by RGV »

Speedo is an easy fix.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_products- ... er_GPS.htm

Great build BTW.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
Huge

Post by Huge »

Hey thanks Dave :!: Never even knew this stuff existed!
Huge

Post by Huge »

Minor 'Whoops..." moment. Broke the pinion support clean out of the carrier. Gearset has teeth missing now and is junk. Not that old either, oh well. So now I'm looking for an open centre. Just another thing to add to the list I spose :roll:

Other than that, I had a good day on the project. I stripped the whole shebang and borrowed a Kirkey seat from a speedway dude to check for fit. Chriso (engineer) came round and we started measureing up the roadster so we can get into dimensions for the roll cage. Once we get something drawn up I'll post for comments.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

What happened to the diff?

Open 2.5 nine inch here but the freight would be kind of rich.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Huge

Post by Huge »

Um... If it was Dads and I was 17, I would say, 'I dunno Dad! It just went bang, I didn't do anything, honest!" Lets just say I was being a bit silly on a private road :roll:
2.5 ay... The fella with the white one reckons I'll be lucky to pull the 3.25 with the power I got. I'll need to rob a few banks before I can run a 2.5! So I'm on the lookout for an open 3.25 or maybe 3oh's. But thanks anyway Dr.
Cookey

Non Starter for 2012

Post by Cookey »

I have decided to pull the pin on my quest to run my rod in 2012 due to the work load of my Project Management business severely curtailing the available time to prepare for running some serious speeds in D/STR. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I suppose that the one redeeming thought is that the Bellytank project will come to the pointy end of the bucket list. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Look forward to following your build progress Huge and catching up with you at the Lake. :) :)
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Huge

Post by Huge »

I have decided to pull the pin on my quest to run my rod in 2012 due to the work load of my Project Management business severely curtailing the available time to prepare for running some serious speeds in D/STR.
Tough decision to make... I've had the same thoughts, been busy lately and not getting as much done on the car as I would have hoped, but not ready to give in yet :evil:

Anyway, my new stuff turned up last week. I now have the option of open or torsen style. I'll set this one up with the torsen for the street as I'm familiar with it. I have the open hemisphere to give me the option on the salt. I get home Wednesday and my mate Gav is going to help me put it all together.

So with that in mind, I knocked up a fixture to aid in assembly.(Thanks Rhys :D )
Oh, and one for Gav as thanks for helping.

With a bit luck I'll be cruising next weekend. Just have to build a centre, check diff housing as I suspect it's bent, swap out gearboxes and have the tailshaft checked. Bet ya it's still on stands at christmas time :?
Over and out.
Huge

Post by Huge »

Been slack on the updates but not much has happened anyway. As a result of that I'll be at the lake with an observers hat on. Plan to fly down to NSW then travel out with a mate for the week. Both of us are really looking forward to the trip, and meeting people out at the lake! Just need to set up a uhf so we don't miss any action.

Last post I mentioned my diff housing was a bit suspect, and it was... Both sides were a good quarter inch out. No wonder I've been replacing bearings now and then. Haven't got much to say for the dude who welded the 4 bar brackets on... Anyway, not having an oxy, I ran three hot tig welds on the opposite side of the bracket welds and quenched them. Worked pretty well and the dummy bearings slid in sweetly after this.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Any updates Fella?
Huge

Post by Huge »

Mentally masturbating and getting nowhere, fast!