Greetings - 100cc M/F for 2014

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

internetscooter

Re: Greetings - 100cc M/F for 2014

Post by internetscooter »

Actually you prompted me to read my manual again...

"Sensor Heater Management
Due to the high operational temperature of the sensing element of the LSU sensor, complex application specific heater element control
strategies are used to control sensor temperature across various operating conditions. These strategies are used to avoid sensor damage
caused by thermal shock resulting in premature sensor failure. The heater supply voltage must be controlled, so that the temperature of
the sensor is kept at a nominal temperature of approximately 750C."

I knew that running the engine with it off was bad, however I did not pick up on...

"• Never switch on the sensor heating control unit before engine start."

I have always switched mine on first which I now know is bad (may cause thermal shock) - my last reading was a bit suss so I will check I haven't killed anything :(
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

Thanks Paul. I was planning to run a switch to the heating circuit on it so I could switch it on before I ran the engine.

You probably just saved me a sensor. I must owe you a beer next year. :)

In my system, the heater control unit has a data link into the Mychron computer. Presumably it does all the management of these things and I just have to fire it up and go. They're meant to be pretty idiot proof for kids in karts.
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

Ordered my V-Force reed block and a manifold to fit the TM32 carb.

I was looking at running the TMX34 but the needle jet in those isn't replaceable. Would have to drill it out which would then stuff it if I went too big.

Once I work out a baseline for jetting I'll order the carb too.

Then the rest of it is mostly fabrication.
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

I'm going to run in the open class (non-streamlined).

However, as I'm running an air cooled engine, I'd like to be able to direct airflow to the engine as much as I can within the rules.
2013 rules wrote:7.F.11 Open Class:
1. No streamlining is permitted in the open motorcycle class. Streamlining is defined as any devices
or objects forward of the rider that have the apparent effect of directing, limiting, or controlling
airflow around the motorcycle or rider.
2. Seat or tail section shall conform to partial streamlining rules.
3. Un-modified OEM air inlet scoops, OEM instruments, OEM instrument panels and/or OEM
headlights mounted with un-modified OEM mounts in the OEM location are allowed in the
Open class and meet the non-streamlining rule.
Documentation to verify OEM parts shall be made available to the inspector by the competitor.
Motorcycles using non-OEM instruments, or OEM instruments not using OEM mounts, must be
mounted within an area defined as no farther forward than 6 in. in front of the leading edge of the
upper triple clamp nor more than 4 in. above the top of the upper triple clamp nor more than 2 in.
below the top of the upper triple clamp nor wider than 1 in. outside of each fork tube.
Is it possible to deflect air onto the head and barrel within these rules? I don't believe it would assist my aero (almost certainly make it worse) but it would make the engine last longer.
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

hi Cris .......im also from the Canberra region and have been salt racing since 2000 was the chief bike scrutineer untill last year ..... maybe we can get together and go over what you plan on doing ...... if your interested let me know :)
Gary
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

Thank you, Gary.

PM sent.

Chris
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

I just received a couple of custom made sprockets from http://shop.pbisprockets.com/main.sc.

I only ordered them last Wednesday. I have them now. They're in Oregon, USA. I am not (Canberra).

Wow.

They were courteous, helpful and knew their stuff. I cannot recommend them highly enough if you're in the market for custom sprockets. $50 each plus shipping (which was only $35).
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

yup, i have delt with PBI, "very good" people to do business with, :D ,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
project100

Post by project100 »

Welcome to the 100cc club. Hope to see you out there in 2014. I've included a pic of my little beast. "Suzi" started life in 1973 as a Suzuki tc100 trail bike and has finished up as a salt shaker. She's a temperamental old tart but I like her. Good luck with your project. See you there :)

I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

Thanks for the welcome Project100. What class are you running Suzi in? Gasonline or Fuel? Have you run before or is this your first trip to the salt like me?
project100

Post by project100 »

ChrisACT wrote:Thanks for the welcome Project100. What class are you running Suzi in? Gasonline or Fuel? Have you run before or is this your first trip to the salt like me?
Suzi only drinks gasoline - shaken, not stirred :). We did the trek to Lake Gairdner in 2010 but we ran into some gearing issues so we weren't really competitive. One of drawbacks of this type of racing is the inability to test your machine under race conditions until you're actually there. Sure we did our best in an industrial estate in the back blocks of Rosebud at night but it just wasn't good enough. But we had a great time at the lake anyways. Came back, put in a five speed gearbox and did some other mods to the bike but got rained out for the next two years and this year other motorcycling commitments prevented us from going...but this year is looking ok. How is your project going?...I'm expecting to see heaps of pics of works in progress.
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

My project is not going as quickly as I'd like. Busy with other stuff and too much faffing about instead of working in the shed.

I'm planning to run methanol.

I also anticipate difficulty testing it. I will run it on a dyno before I take it to the salt just to get some idea of what I've got to work with. The HP numbers aren't really that important as every dyno reads different anyway. I'm more interested in what kind of RPM it'll pull under load and also to make sure my O2 sensor is giving similar readings to the dyno O2 sensor. At least that way I can have some kind of confidence in what I'm seeing from my data logger at the lake.

I'm building the engine to pull about 13,500RPM. Hopefully it'll hold together for the 1/4 mile at redline. The cylinder pressures I'm seeing on my engine simulations are pretty extreme.

There is still heaps of work to do.

Engine porting.
Pipe.
Lots of brackets and tabs to fabricate.
Seat pan.
Footpegs.
Electrics (lots of electrics).

Plus I need to purchase a vehicle to get me and the bike there.

I can't wait though. Actually, just getting it running will be a great day.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

mate, never underestimate the information gathered from a dyno, sure, thay all read different, but,, always use the same dyno and work with what it tells ya,, sometimes changes to your machine "feel" right, dyno readings will confirm, :wink: ,, for example, i made a new exhaust system and ran it at the drags, thought it was better by the sound and feel , ran it up on the dyno, had made horsepower where i didnt want it, and overall had lost heaps up in the rev range,, i binned that pipe, :lol: , but without the dyno readings i would have kept using it, mistakingly thinking it was better, :roll: ,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

Stayt`ie wrote:mate, never underestimate the information gathered from a dyno, sure, thay all read different, but,, always use the same dyno and work with what it tells ya,, sometimes changes to your machine "feel" right, dyno readings will confirm, :wink: ,, for example, i made a new exhaust system and ran it at the drags, thought it was better by the sound and feel , ran it up on the dyno, had made horsepower where i didnt want it, and overall had lost heaps up in the rev range,, i binned that pipe, :lol: , but without the dyno readings i would have kept using it, mistakingly thinking it was better, :roll: ,,,
You're right. The power curve from the dyno is also a key indicator of what I've got to work with.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Quick note about PBI , they have an outlet in Vic
I brought some from the US only to find out about the Aussie reseller afterward
Definitely good with there customers :D