APS/G 250

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

ChrisACT

Re: APS/G 250

Post by ChrisACT »

Stayt`ie wrote:hay Pete, i look at that photo and see cams, valves, springs, shims and buckets all condensed into one piston, :lol: ,, might have to start lookin for a Mach 111 or 1V motor, :wink: ,,,
Jet ski's are your friend. Yamaha GP1300R.

1300cc, two stroke, water cooled goodness.

170HP stock and that's without proper expansion chambers.

Lots of potential.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

But it's not a motorcycle engine,,,,,,,,,
What a pity eh !
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
bstard

Post by bstard »

"THE AREA STEWARD'S DECISION IS FINAL IN ALL CASES"
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Stayt`ie wrote:mate, their not so funny with two more barrells to match up after the first, :roll: ,,

anyone out there have, or know of any Mach 111 engines lookin for a good flogging, :?: :lol: ,, no seriously, me thinks that this is the way i'll go when retired in a cuppla years time, much cheaper than four strokes, 8) ,,,,
That was the reason I put forward the "Classic Engine" category Proposal at the General Meeting at the Lake this year so those Bikes can compete for Records like Vintage and Pushrod powered Bikes ....

More broadly the thing that limits using lager capacity Two Strokes is there are simply very few larger 2 Stroke Motorcycle Engines available ....
The Yamaha RZ/Banshee Engines with CP Big Bore are a popular "upgrade" to more modern 250 bikes like Aprilia RS250 .... however they are based on older two stroke design so have limitations ... They make about 50hp per 250cc ... Bikes like my RGV can make 75hp tops and the last of the 250 Production Road Race Bikes like Yamaha TZ 5ke 250 and Honda RS NXA 250s made about 90hp .....

The Factory Aprilia 125cc engines made 54hp! ...

The Sleeper is the Rotax 256 Based Superkart inline 250 engines that are now making 100hp ...

The Rotax 250 was available in a few Motorcycles in the 80's and they have recently been redesigned and sold again ...

The Late Model 2 Stroke options cost Big Money ..... I recently saw a NXA Honda RS for sale $35,000 ...

I think the 2 strokes lend themselves to the Classes up to 500cc above that the field levels a bit ...

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

gennyshovel wrote:But it's not a motorcycle engine,,,,,,,,,
What a pity eh !
Modified Production rules states:
The engine shall be from the same manufacturer as the frame.
I can't find anywhere in the rules where it says that it must be a motorcycle engine.

Yamaha engine. Yamaha frame. No problem. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ChrisACT on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Pete[/quote]

Can you put a heel guard on that to cover the chain , so your foot can't get caught in it
gennyshovel wrote:But it's not a motorcycle engine,,,,,,,,,
What a pity eh !
but it could be a sidecar engine

G
They make it
I make it work
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

grumm441 wrote:Image

Pete
Can you put a heel guard on that to cover the chain , so your foot can't get caught in it

No worries, I'll sort that out Graham ....

Engine Class Rules say:

7.J.5 Class F:
Shall be comprised of major parts and components designed primarily for use in motorcycle engines. No restrictions on fuel. Superchargers or turbochargers are not permitted. Fuel injection is permitted.
7.J.6 Class G:
Same as Class F, except it is limited to event gasoline....... etc

Pete :D

DLRA #866
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Here is a mate's Aprilia RS250/RZ485 conversion

Image Image

DLRA #866
bstard

Post by bstard »

"The Yamaha RZ/Banshee Engines with CP Big Bore are a popular "upgrade" to more modern 250 bikes like Aprilia RS250 .... however they are based on older two stroke design so have limitations"

Hi
I think you will find that Calvin's CPI cylinders have some of the most up to date geometry and design that was available until he recently passed away.
I know that he was constantly reviewing his design with some of the top Two-stroke tuners in the world.
Thanks
Richard
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

AuotonomousRX wrote:Engine Class Rules say:

7.J.5 Class F:
Shall be comprised of major parts and components designed primarily for use in motorcycle engines. No restrictions on fuel. Superchargers or turbochargers are not permitted. Fuel injection is permitted.
7.J.6 Class G:
Same as Class F, except it is limited to event gasoline....... etc

Right you are. Bummer. Seems you have to be in the 3001cc+ class and running a streamliner to be able to use non-motorcycle engines.

7.J.12 Class 3001cc +:
Any reciprocating engine which uses the Otto cycle may run in Streamliner category only. Supercharged
engines do not advance class size.
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

It is a bummer Chris .... I was looking at the Arctic Cat ZRT600 triple ... Case Induction Reed Valve .... back to the RGV and the shed ....

Pete

DLRA #866
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

bstard wrote:"The Yamaha RZ/Banshee Engines with CP Big Bore are a popular "upgrade" to more modern 250 bikes like Aprilia RS250 .... however they are based on older two stroke design so have limitations"

Hi
I think you will find that Calvin's CPI cylinders have some of the most up to date geometry and design that was available until he recently passed away.
I know that he was constantly reviewing his design with some of the top Two-stroke tuners in the world.
Thanks
Richard
Hi Richard ..... I agree, the CPI Cylinders are very very good .... and give substantial Power gains on those RZ/Banshee Engines .....
what I meant was, that they are still based on the inherent limitations of a 1980s Piston Port/Reed Valve narrow Parallel Twin .... and newer designs simply make more HP per cc ... the same way most other Engines have evolved ...

The later design 2 Strokes are Case Inducted, Reed or Rotary Valve, with near square Bore x Stroke Ratios ... that gives you extra Intake Ports and much larger potential Port /Time Areas per cc and an ability to reach higher peak RPM ... That is what happened to the TZ Yamaha and is how Aprilia ended up with 54hp from it's final 125cc GP Engine .... These same Aprilia designs are now the basis of the Porting in the current Superkart Engines ...

Pete

DLRA #866
bstard

Post by bstard »

Hi
Some of your points are valid.

But if we go back to what I believe we were looking for...how big cc wise can you go on a motorcycle based two-stroke engine.
Then I think Calvin's cylinders are where we would need to go.
Are there any other "big cc" two stroke engines around that are motor cycle based?

Thanks
Richard
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

I can't think of any production two stroke motorcycles bigger than the Suzuki GT750 waterbottle and Kawasaki H2.
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

As far as Big Smokers I can't think of any others either .....

I wonder what sort of power Brett's Bike puts out?

I am not looking past a 350cc Class myself ....

Pete

DLRA #866