BMS Bullet V8

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Tombullet

Re: BMS Bullet V8

Post by Tombullet »

. How right you are and I can't even comprehend the amount of time the long list of detail will take but right now I want to fit the engine complete the wiring and FIRE IT UP....That will give me the incentive and energy to get stuck into the detail, If there is anyone out there getting bored on Saturdays you're definitely welcome to attack some of those details with me..
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

The last few weeks have been busy with getting the Monster Energy drift car which was built by Bullet down to Tasmania and last week to Calder. I have put up a link worth watching as Rob Whyte puts up the highest corner entry speed for the day in thr supercharged 350Z. this is sideways motoring at its best. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzQLI76Iz4
Today has been a good push forward on the Salt Bullet with the engine now properly fitted, gearbox mount and engine mounts made painted and bolted in..
Next week we do the final mount up of the supercharger,intercooler and drive system then comes the electrical nightmare, Autronic ECU and M&W 8 channel CDI to keep up the power to the individual coils, gauges and 2 Bosch 044 fuel pumps
This should take about four weeks and Vroommmm...... hopefully.
Attachments
note the air jacks, need to find a suitable position now that the engine is in.
note the air jacks, need to find a suitable position now that the engine is in.
Engine fitted 21 june 12 LR.jpg (162.62 KiB) Viewed 23600 times
engine mounts with Nolathene bushes
engine mounts with Nolathene bushes
Engine mounts LR.jpg (136.97 KiB) Viewed 23600 times
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Fitted the air jacks today, they still need a brace but I'll wait till it's on the hoist.
Also finnished the fuel rails and fitted 1000cc injectors, trick is to use Toyota 0 rings on the bottom and machine 14mm into the fuel rail instead of the 11mm original, this allows the use of a broad range of common and less expensive injectors.
The final fit of the supercharger this week.
Attachments
Fuel rails LR.jpg
Fuel rails LR.jpg (116.86 KiB) Viewed 23526 times
air jacks fitted LR.jpg
air jacks fitted LR.jpg (95.36 KiB) Viewed 23526 times
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Had a good day today. finished the air jack tubes which can now be mounted and the air lines run in.
We are painting all steel brackets in cold gal zinc pressure pak paint, please advise if there is a better way, I am always keen to get input from anyone that has experience with salt conditions. I just steam ahead but any input is appreciated, it's along way to the lake to discover that there is a better way.
Attachments
Air jack mounting bracket and tube LR.jpg
Air jack mounting bracket and tube LR.jpg (98.01 KiB) Viewed 23438 times
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Also spent some time on the final engine assembly. Mounted the manifold and water xovers and the intercooler and the hoses going to the firewall, these will connect to three electric water pumps, two will push ice water through the intercooler and one back to a spraybar in a 70litre esky in the passanger side.
How do I ensure that I can buy plenty of Ice at the lake.
Last time I was I noticed a large ice truck, is this always there???
The manifold has three vacuum fittings, Map sensor/boost gauge, bypass valve and fuel pressure. No power brakes.
There is also a temp sensor after the intercooler.
Note the o ring for the supercharger, we machine this with a great tool from the US which cuts a grove that fully retains the o ring.
Attachments
supercharger manifold nanIC fitted LR.jpg
supercharger manifold nanIC fitted LR.jpg (144.55 KiB) Viewed 23435 times
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Also got the supercharger and drive belt fitted, took the extractors off to weld in some EGT sensor threads into each runner, this may help during dynotuning. We can then get Peter at Competition Coatings to make em pretty with a ceramic coating job prior to final fit
Attachments
supercharger and drive belt fitted LR.jpg
supercharger and drive belt fitted LR.jpg (163.61 KiB) Viewed 23435 times
penny

Post by penny »

The Ice supply has again been promised . It will now be run by Mildura ice and will be crushed bags and block ice . Dion the proprietor is an ex Mt Ive employee and so is familiar with the lake , he is very exited about comming to the lake for a "working" holiday and i would be surprised if he didn't become an entrant in the future .
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Hey thanks for that information, ice will be critical for this car and I think it will use around 8 to 10 bags per run. I'll try call Dion and make some arrangements, maybe negotiate a price so that we can still afford a cold beer at sunset.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Nice work Tom,

Once you use O Rings instead of gaskets its real hard to go back ehh. In most applications they do a brilliant job.

Use the biggest esky you can fit. :wink:

Chris
Chris
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Well its been a while and not much has happened to the Salt Bullet, but for those interested in supercharging in general we have just completed a world first installation on the new Toyota FT86/ Subaru BRZ vehicle and this photo is the first photo released. I drove the car today to the Dyno and it feels great. It does 100k at 2500RPM and the stock engine is redlined at 7600.... Interesting.
We will be at World time Attack in Sydney Eastern Creek next weekend.
Attachments
BULLET FT86.jpg
BULLET FT86.jpg (88.15 KiB) Viewed 23253 times
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

That is brilliant. Dyno results??

Keep going on the Salt Bullet, it's a wonder the 1UZ has not been used before.

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

I'm glad to be back working on the Salt Bullet today although driving the supercharged FT86 Toyota to Sydney for World Time Attack was great fun.
Got the fuel line and rear brake line in, nothing to exciting but at least we're moving forward again.
Attachments
Rear brake line mounted LR.jpg
Rear brake line mounted LR.jpg (115.81 KiB) Viewed 23137 times
Nylock nuts loose until final fit
Nylock nuts loose until final fit
fuel line mounted.jpg (101.78 KiB) Viewed 23137 times
Sunrise and 1000km to go.
Sunrise and 1000km to go.
image001.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 23137 times
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

The fuel system is now complete and installed.
It consists of 2 x Bosch 044 fuel pumps and a Turbosmart fuel pressure regulator.
The pumps are fed thru two half inch fuel filters and they pump to a pair of non return valves past the regulator to a y piece and into the half inch stainless steel feed line to the engine.
The Fuel tank was an ebay special. I couldn't make it for twice the price. I plan to feed vacume from the engine to the pressure regulator which should reduce fuel pressure at idle and increase presure under boost.
THe next step is wiring, always a challange.
Attachments
Fuel system 2LR.jpg
Fuel system 2LR.jpg (208.52 KiB) Viewed 23072 times
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Well it felt like Xmas unwrapping the exhaust back from ceramic coating. Special thanks for such a great job to Peter at Competition Coatings at Archerfield, his work is second to none and this will be the toughest test yet for heat transfer.
These pipes are hard up against thhe floor and encased with a full length floor pan. The floor is also coated both sides with black ceramic paint and I plan to use some muffler glass matt as well where I can.
All uncharted territory.
I'll try get it all fitted Monday. Just spent 2 hours finding studs and nuts. Amazing how quick things get lost or used on another project, or maybe it's "Oldtimers Disease".
Attachments
Exhaust coated LR.jpg
Exhaust coated LR.jpg (246.82 KiB) Viewed 23007 times
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Heh Tom,

You have'nt mentioned how good these engines sound.
Can't wait to hear yours, blown with open exhausts.
Nice pipes btw

Chris
Chris