Moderator: DLRA

GeeTee

Re: BMS Bullet V8

Post by GeeTee »

awesome work. Just sensaish. :D
momec3

Post by momec3 »

To be honest Tom your build is further ahead than one of mine at this time so don't give up.
Forget the paint if you need to; I have to hear it at full noise. :D

Chris
Chris
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

I saw a Bullet Demo at Willowbank Drags a few years ago. They put on quiet a show, one was blown the other N/A. Keep at it, it is a great build.

Stay Cool
Pete
LSR#866
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
tomrabold

Post by tomrabold »

Sadly I won't make the lake this year, I was planning to get 20 hours a week on the car but lost 3 of my key workers in the business and have only replaced one so far. That means I work 5.30 am to 6.30 pm every day and a couple of hours Saturday. The rest thank God is mine...... and the salt project.
I've added a few more photos to keep up the build diary. Today I get the bellhousing plates and the clutch from NPC, I had a dual plate but sold it and went back to a single plate, the $1500 saved will help with tyres and fire gear.
Attachments
If the single plate sprung button clutch dosn't work I'll come back to this NPC unit.
If the single plate sprung button clutch dosn't work I'll come back to this NPC unit.
Dual Plate 1UZ Clutch LR.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 22827 times
Chassis and 9 inch diff prior to pull down, still needs a tail shaft hoop.
Chassis and 9 inch diff prior to pull down, still needs a tail shaft hoop.
9 inch bolt up.jpg (81.03 KiB) Viewed 22827 times
tomrabold

Post by tomrabold »

Well tomorrow we will finish welding the bellhousing and then get it surface ground.
In the neantime I've been putting the feelers out for some help, someone that can handle tools.
Sometimes it's hard ,,, to maintain focus..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Attachments
Now we may get a few things done around here!!!!
Now we may get a few things done around here!!!!
New helper LR.jpg (185.98 KiB) Viewed 22782 times
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Tommy
Its odd that with so much camber set into that suspension ,that the tyres have scrubbed on the outside....
There is something else ..........

Out the back of my workshop is three cane toads ... and none of them talk......... Thank God....
It appears you had a talking frog out the back of your workshop... and a catholic one at that...
Youv'e gone and kissed it ,havent ya...
Add one more year.. to before you get thar car to the salt......

It's all good 8)
Ross
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
tomrabold

Post by tomrabold »

hi Ross
It's the curse of the building of a salt car, I should have kept it simple, and to wait another year is like an eternity, it's OK if you're 26...
Having another year gives me the time for some proper testing, don't know where but I was thinking of a diff ratio change and going to Willowbank on the test and tune sessions they have every week could be fun and it's relitively close.
Those three cane toads ya got out the back give em a rub see if they'll grant you three wishes. mmmmm...a dry lake....cheap petrol ..and umm... a priminister with balls.
Cheers
tomrabold

Post by tomrabold »

Welded the side plates onto the bell housing, will finish that tonight and hopefully be able to bolt the engine and gearbox together on Saturday.
Attachments
Plates fitted and welded, finish weld tonight.
Plates fitted and welded, finish weld tonight.
T56 to Toyota V8 bell housing LR.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 22684 times
cutting templates to work out the plate sizes
cutting templates to work out the plate sizes
T56 to ToyotaV8 bell housing LR.jpg (50.83 KiB) Viewed 22684 times
tomrabold

Post by tomrabold »

The engine is bolted together and painted, looks great. The last of the welding is done on the bell housing and I'll pull it out of the jig tomorrow, what worries me most is the alignment, I have left enough material to machine it a second time if neccessary. I'll post some photos tomorrow. and start focussing on making the mounting plates for the supercharger, it's a Harrop /Eaton 2300 that we had polished locally for a customer's SRT8 Hemi but they screwed it up and we had to get another one done in Melbourne, I've scored this one but it has the wrong casing for the Toyota manifold so a pair of adapting plates need to be made.
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Most of the engine bolt up is now final , still need to make the adaptor plate for the supercharger but all the drive pulleys are in place and that was a nightmare to set up, probably should have used a tooth belt but part of the excercise is trying to use stuff that's available.
They assure me red goes faster so red it is.
Attachments
Bullet Salt Race Engine LR.jpg
Bullet Salt Race Engine LR.jpg (84.42 KiB) Viewed 22548 times
OLDPOP

Post by OLDPOP »

Great looking set up would look good in my Land Cruiser
Can you get your lovely helper to come to my place and fit it

Phill H
DLRA # 1102
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Sorry it's been a while since I updated the build. Unfortunately I have needed to put huge hours into the business and appart from finishing the bellhousing progress has been slow.
The bell housing is fully welded and took a bit of machining to get everything cetral and aligned.
We bolted the whole show together and discovered that because the Twin plate clutch was sold, and replaced with a large single plate ( the money saved will help with the electronics) the slave cylinder position gave insuficient travel.
Today we machined a spacer and made fittings so that the clutch line and bleeder line could exit without modifying the bell housing.
Attachments
Bell housing with clutch cylinder hooked up to bleed clutch before engine fitment.
Bell housing with clutch cylinder hooked up to bleed clutch before engine fitment.
Bell housing T56 clutch bleed LR.jpg (180.71 KiB) Viewed 22432 times
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Bleeding the clutch is a pain with the concentric slave cylinder so we did it prior to fitting the engine.
Starter motor is in the valley in these engines so the wiring is better attached prior to dropping the engine in.
We hope to do this next week but I have gotten a pair of air jacks off a V8 supercar and want to mount them into the chassis first,
this will at least make jacking the front easier, the back has a strong pushbar that will handle a trolley jack.
Motor, clutch and box are now ready to fit. Still need to work out an alternator and find a suitable over-run pulley for it, they work great.
Attachments
Bell housing T56 fitted LR.jpg
Bell housing T56 fitted LR.jpg (143.54 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Tom,

Looking good. I think the big bits are easy. Its the little details that absorb the time. Nice job on the scattersheild.

Chris
Chris