BMS Bullet V8

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Tombullet

Re: BMS Bullet V8

Post by Tombullet »

Got the car to the dyno on Saturday, but discoved that we were running on 6 cylinders only. the CDI unit seemed the problem as only 3 chanels were working and the 4th was not firing the coils.
Eventually found two crook coils so we replaced the lot, had Monday night off and ran it in and tuned it Tuesday night. Switched to C16 as Chris says its good insurance.
Sounds real nice and makes 539HP at thr wheels. runs 140 KMH at 3400 in 4th gear. We plan to run to 7500 and have 5th and 6th available although I believe that 4th is the go.
Now lots more detail to sort.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Well done, all sounds well so far Tom.
Thats about 716HP at the crank,
add more ballast then add more ballast.

Give me a call thru the day.

Chris
Chris
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Tom what a great thing the 1UZ is 8) 8)

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

The 1UZ engine I believe is the best value technology for money ever.
I have a mate that pulls high 7 quarter mile passes with a 1UZ in a Hilux. Terminal speed over 180MPH on what they call street tyres.
1200HP on 45psi. That's potential realised.
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Tom I agree 100% I am a big fan.

This one put's out 534hp N/A and it's still 4ltrs :D

While it is modified it uses stock crank, rods, and valves and the Rev Limiter is set at 9200rpm!!

Pete

DLRA #866
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

If that's the engine I think it is it was built for an open wheeler owned by Bob Muir.
Nice engine, certainly more expensive than mine. Havn't heard much about it in the last couple of years.
Certainly brave to use stock rods, I thought they were special, slightly longer and forged units.
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Tom It's sounds like the one,oh yeah it's a Hot Rod.

:oops: My mistake, It was advertised for sale http://www.race-cars.com/engsales/other ... 8700ss.htm I misread the ad it's written like this

"Toyota Lexus 1UZ Race Engines A viable and cost effective alternative to Cosworth and Judd engines in Euro-Boss, Oz-Boss and US-boss Series as well as sports cars and sports sedan. --------

Capacity ? 3969 cc Bore ? 87.5 mm Stroke ? 82.5 mm Crank ? Toyota 1UZ Rods ? Saenz ? increased length with ARP L19 bolts Pistons

bummer looks like you have to rev limit to 8500rpm with stock rods :wink:

Pete

DLRA #866
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

The build is on track. Just.
We have removed the original Bullet front spoiler and air intake and are making a new one with a much smaller opening and two three inch air inlets which will feed the air cleaners located in the windsrean plenum.
Did a wheel alignment friday, zreo toe in, zero camber and 9 degrees castor. Any comments appreciated, never done a salty before.
We are taking the lead serious, will pour 180KG of lead shot into the sills.
We have a mold to make 1 inch thick lead slabs, they will weigh around 22KG and I am making 10, so that's another 220 kg.
There is a frame to hold them just in front of the diff.
All rear panels and chute are on, also the doors, Sunday we finish the body, Tuesday the roof.
Attachments
new front and 14 days to go.jpg
new front and 14 days to go.jpg (150.7 KiB) Viewed 26980 times
rear frame with lead carrier.jpg
rear frame with lead carrier.jpg (181.86 KiB) Viewed 26980 times
Lead carrier and mould.jpg
Lead carrier and mould.jpg (122.31 KiB) Viewed 26980 times
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Bodywork is always slow and we have some issues with the bonnet, Its put us a day behind, not good with 11 to go.
Did finish the fire system and fitting the insulstion to the driverside floor,
For those interested the temp difference without insulation was 118 and with was only 44 ont the floor when we did the dyno.
Attachments
rear wing comming together.jpg
rear wing comming together.jpg (146.17 KiB) Viewed 26942 times
Lengthening bonnet.jpg
Lengthening bonnet.jpg (105.16 KiB) Viewed 26942 times
checking fit and it's too short,.jpg
checking fit and it's too short,.jpg (126.25 KiB) Viewed 26942 times
GeeTee

Post by GeeTee »

hey good luck from a fellow newbie, I am also a day behind but with committments elswhere Fri-Sun, I have just five to get my car (and my tow car and trailer) sorted and serviced
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Yeah... Thank God there are 24 hours in a day. We are starting to prep the trailer today, and still working late each night on the car. It needs about 50 hours of work before we can load it next Wednesday night.
Unfortunately we still have a business to run, but hey it's all happening.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Deadlines are a great way to get stuff done! Keep at it Tom.

See you there,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Tom,
Re Toe in, my belief is you allow approx 1mm toe in to allow for flex in bushes etc at speed that will drag the wheels back.
The more rubber joints and/or more speed the bit more toe you add.
If you have heims etc instead of rubber you can use less.

Saying that so much of what we do is suck it and see.

If it is a it vauge in the steering, too shapen it up be prepared to add a bit of toe.
We will be bringing alignment gear with us to fine tune on the lake if required.

Alvin the AU has 8 1/2 deg caster because thats all I could get without adding camber or doing a major rework.
Mal the Effie has around 13 deg caster and you need a 10 acre paddock to do a U turn because I've layed it back so much.

Keep at it buddy.
Remember, sheer guts and determination, the will to win at all times. We will make it.

Chris
Chris
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

The body work is the most time consuming, I am lucky to have Mick who is coming with me and Ken helping and committed to finishing the car no matter what.
Finished the helmet restraint and it works a treat, made is 316 stainless tube that slides perfectly like a trombone giving instant access to get in and out of the car.
We decided to do front wheel tubs to keep salt out of the engine bay...
Attachments
A quick yank on the bar and it drops down. it has locaters to ensure the padding is towards the helmet.
A quick yank on the bar and it drops down. it has locaters to ensure the padding is towards the helmet.
helmet restraint bar.jpg (122.09 KiB) Viewed 26725 times
The tubes bolt to the taxi bar and are joined togeter by a 4mm stainless strap which also is the rear seat mount.
The tubes bolt to the taxi bar and are joined togeter by a 4mm stainless strap which also is the rear seat mount.
Helmet restraints.jpg (127.59 KiB) Viewed 26725 times
It's a heap of work but I think worthwhile, Mick is a legend at this type of fabrication.
It's a heap of work but I think worthwhile, Mick is a legend at this type of fabrication.
front wheel tubs.jpg (167.68 KiB) Viewed 26725 times
big chook

Post by big chook »

Tom , your project is looking good , very well engineered . Hope it goes as well on the salt . cheers Mick