BMS Bullet V8

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Tombullet

Re: BMS Bullet V8

Post by Tombullet »

We put stronger springs in today in rediness for the lead tomorrow. 750 lb front 650 rear.
also finished the sills and hope to complete the front tubs soon, would love to take a quiet drive around the block tomorrow.
Put "BIG CAL" onto the scales for an initial look just to give us something to sleep on. Nearly 50/50 to start. Only 1165 KG I expected 1250 with the amout of steel we used.
We have 400KG of lead to add and most will add to the rear.
Attachments
great starting point with nearly 25% per corner.
great starting point with nearly 25% per corner.
weight half fuel only.LR 1.jpg (157.05 KiB) Viewed 29976 times
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

It's 8am friday and we are now 26 hours past departure time.
We will be late but we will be there.
Attachments
final assebly and wrap nearly done.jpg
final assebly and wrap nearly done.jpg (171.52 KiB) Viewed 29929 times
Rob

Post by Rob »

You're not on your own Tom though I think we may just be a little in front with the Jag... see you there.

Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Fantastic adventure....leaving with an unfinished race car, a borrowed tow car and a sleeping bag at 2pm Friday. Only got 120k and the Patrol overheated, we pulled up at the BP in Aratula to let it cool down and contemplate our situation.
The rest is a dinky di miracle and a story worth telling.
Thanks to Arthur, Bruce and Steve a bunch of angels on leave to have some fun. These strangers approached us when all seemed impossible and the rest is history.
We are back now and have a huge workload to catch up on plus cleaning the Bullet which ran smooth and flawlessly.180.6 mph a record run and with a chute pull. Now we are ready to see what she'll do.
We'll be back in 2014.
Huge thanks and appreciation to all who made this dream a reality.
Attachments
Our first look at the complete car, TRUBLUTINT wrapped it on Thursday and we fitted the final stickers just before taking the photo.
Our first look at the complete car, TRUBLUTINT wrapped it on Thursday and we fitted the final stickers just before taking the photo.
858764_10200788548342683_439903952_o.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 29861 times
Rob

Post by Rob »

Glad you made it Tom,

The car sure sounded strong! Here's a pic from Thursday in the staging lanes.

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Well done Tom! I heard that you pitted with Chris Hanlon and Big Gaz but I didn't hear how you got on with regard to racing. I hear there is a meeting at your workshop soon and I will be able to make it. I'll look forward to seeing the Bullet.

Lynchy
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Onya Tom. Sorry I didn't come good with the brake flaring kit, it was the first time in about eight years I haven't had it with me, the thing is you get better at leaving stuff at home the longer you go.

However it was great to see the car there and it sounded absolutely bloody awesome.

Good effort, see ya next year.

James
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Well I can't wait till next year. first thing on the agenda is to sort out a tow car.
selling my Landcruiser 4 days before leaving for the lake was not a good short term move but it did pay for the last big spend on the salt car and put an end to the lease payments and paid in full for our new tow van a Mercedes Sprinter ex ambulance that goes very well and will use less than half the fuel of the supercharged V8 Cruiser, that alone will save over $1500 on next years trip.
There's heaps of room for tools and spares and sleeping.
The Salt bullet will be on display at a huge swap meet and show at Willowbank Raceway this Sunday 14-April.
Come and say hello and check out the new tow-mobile.
I'll post a photo next week.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Hi Norm here from Gnome Racing. At the lake we lent you our window net and was wanting to get it back as we need it to do works on the Gnome. I have made a number of calls to Robbie at WOLF but no reply as yet :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Can you contact me please

Norm
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Hi Norm. Got the address today and it's sent.
Thanks for the lend of the net, Tom
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

This time last year we had an insane amount of work ahead of us and xmas/new year was a great opportunity to work on the car and leave the phone unattended.
I looked at the car yesteday and it has been sitting in the showroom since being washed after last years event.
Switched on the power and pumps. hit the starter and it just banged into life, what a sound, That's enough incentive to hook in and build a trailer as that's the only thing missing this year,
look forward to the journey an catching up with everyone at the lake.
PAULWOLF350

Post by PAULWOLF350 »

Tom, just wondering if you still have the jigs and drawings for your bellhousing /scattershield? I am looking to do a similar driveline mating a T56 trans to a 1UZ. Would save me a heap of heartache :-)

Paul
Tombullet

Post by Tombullet »

Paid the entry fees last night so we better start doing some work.
Main change is a shift to E85 Fuel, and thinking about NO2 as well as I have a kit gathering dust.
Apart from that looking forward to a great week at the lake.
Any comments on E85 at the salt would be appreciated, we are hoping the existing 1000cc injectors and Bosch 044 fuel pumps will do the job.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

how much injector duty cycle were you using on gasoline ?
and what is your tank return hose flowing at a simulated max intake psi

couple of 044s should get you around 7.5 lit/min and i would rough guestimate 8-8.5 cc/min/hp for your needs
so i think the pumps will let you down just before the injectors but that also depends on just what duty cycle your willing to run to
Trilby

Post by Trilby »

How's it looking? you guys gonna make it?