M/G CBR1000F *now MPS/F*

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

DaveB

M/G CBR1000F *now MPS/F*

Post by DaveB »

I’ve been on here for a little while and though i should start a build thread.

My dad’s building a streamliner so for shits and giggles we've decided to use his left over parts (and a fair few that weren’t left over :-P) to build a bike to race for myself.

The highest part of the bike is the top triple clamp at just under 900mm (using standard vfr400 forks we had lying around, same DIA but around 125mm shorter) my whole body is pretty much level with the top triple clamp and my head is just high enough to see over it.

it doesn’t run a radiator, under my seat is a coolant tank and its setup to only draw water as it needs it (i expect it to get reasonably hot under my arse). we decided to get rid of the radiators because we want this engine to run as close to how it will be running in this bike as it will in the streamliner. The fuel tank is the small tank you see in front of the tank I will be sitting on. it hold enough fuel for us to do our run but will probably need to be refilled between runs. behind my arse you see all the electrical stuff, the battery is the one out of my road bike, there’s a data logger with a wide band o2 sensor to help us set the bike up, an Ignitech ignition with a custom ignition map in it, and a tip over sensor that cuts the fuel and spark if the bike leans over more than 45 degree's, that’s only on there to make sure that the vibrations of running on the salt doesn’t piss it off too much (more testing for the streamliner) other than that it’s a pretty stock standard 1987 cbr1000f, it’s been a bit of a spur of the moment job we only decided about 4 weeks ago that we were going to run it, before that it was just a frame. we robbed the engine back out of the streamliner, assembled the bike and started cutting things off it.

This is what we are testing all the bits and pieces for, once i get some more photo's of dads bike I’ll see if he will let me start a build thread.

Last edited by DaveB on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat"
JonB

Re: M-G CBR1000F

Post by JonB »

Hmmm... Pretty busy @ work? :)

Leftovers?????
They will be when you replace them :p

jon
Last edited by JonB on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

As far as i know my supervisor isnt on this forum and i have paper spread all over the desk everywhere so yes im very busy :D
"His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat"
BONES

Post by BONES »

More photos of the liner please!!
But how are you going to see out of it? :lol:
cheers Bones
JonB

Post by JonB »

I'll show you mine if you show me yours Bones :wink:

Thats the plug, I'm going to tidy up the finish then throw a mold off it to make the body.

Jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Not too much to add, swing arm has been extended, headstock angle has been changed.

I will be running in march next year.
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Interesting amount of ground clearance your going to end up with Dave !
I take it the pipes wont be going underneath..
Looks good but ..! 8)
Ross..
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
zork

Post by zork »

Just a tip, put your leathers and boots etc on and see if you can still sit in that position. Its surprising how bunched up you get, past experience having to remount footrests.
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for the tip Zork, i have been on the bike in my leather, it is tight but i do fit :D

The ground clearance isnt too bad Ross, its a pain in the arse getting it in and out of my ute tho!
The pipes head out and around the "drivers" side, for this year anyways... Thats why i had to change the rake, i had no room in behind my front wheel for later on.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

[quote="DaveB"] it is tight but i do fit :D

what feels tight in the shed is really uncomfortable out there on course, :( ,, you never ride the bike in a shed as you will on the salt,, set up so you are comfortable and have plenty of room for "body english", :) ,, i bettcha that if you dont the first year, you will the second time out, :lol: ,,
Last edited by Stayt`ie on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Found that out the 1st year, body movement and the "Tuck" get's those extra few MPH

And you can't get that in the Shed. :wink:

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Im building the bike hoping that i wont be on it all that long :wink:
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Not a whole lot new to add.

The frame, swing arm, subframe, and tanks are all at the sandblasters at the moment so I have been doing little odd jobs until I get them back.

I have a few pics of the exhaust getting wire brushed, painted then wrapped, I will attach them tomorrow my phone is being a pain.

The bike will be running in a different class now after I found some Charlie Toy bodywork cheap (thanks Stay' ie) and decided to set it up from the start using methanol to help keep it cool.

I'll throw some photos on here tomorrow.
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

The exhaust after wire brushing and changing the collector

After painting

After Wrapping

The triple clamp before

After

DaveB

Re: M/G CBR1000F *now MPS/F*

Post by DaveB »

Slowly coming together after sand blasting and painting :D