E class streamliner

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

BIG GAZ

Re: E class streamliner

Post by BIG GAZ »

Mate! its only money... you only live once... do it once, do it right. How many cliche's do you need to make it feel better. Believe me, I have a million of them.
GAZ
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Been a while and fortunately there has been progress. The design however seems to have gone around in a bit of a circle......

The front engine dragster chassis layout has been abandoned due to a whole range of issues. It would lead to a much faster car but ultimately that fast car would also be horribly expensive and require some work to be outsourced which would go close to blowing the budget. Plus any body design that is within my skills would look rubbish...

Soooooooo we've gone full circle... Back to the original model, engine in front with driver above tail shaft.

The RHS chassis rails have now been pie cut and bent in front and back, cross members cut and put in place and patterns have been made for all the suspension parts. I'm about to mount the chassis up at correct ride height (with slight forward rake) and start drawing up the lines for the body. The nose cone will likely be the most complex bit so I intend to start hammering on that very soon.

I know I should probably leave the bodywork until there is an entire car ready to be covered but I don't have all the bits to make an entire car yet and I don't want the project to stagnate. That and style is more important to me than a record (don't think I'm likely to get near 200 anyway) so I'm trying to make a good looking old school car and then stuff everything inside it... still trying to stop the roll cage from looking ugly though.....not sure it can be done... On that note there has been some suggestion (mostly from the missus) that the rule book be abandoned and the car simply built for displays and hot rod show dirt track events with no safety equipment and no compromises on style and never be fired in anger on a lake. Whilst I greatly enjoy creative freedom I'm not sure I want to take this drastic step.

As a side issue... has anyone seen the latest street machine mag with the write up on a race event at Cooma airstrip in NSW. That bastard is 2200m long! Might be an option...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Cooma is available for hire but requires insurance, the cost of which has been the stumbling block for a few possible sites including the Queensland one.

Cudal is 1600m and only required a solid disclaimer from anyone on the site but when it came down to the wire there was only one taker making it non-viable for the hire cost at the time.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.