E class streamliner

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

walkingpace

E class streamliner

Post by walkingpace »

G'day all,

I am about to kick of my lakester build and rather than work off a drawing (I'm not much of an artist) I have put together a 1/18 scale model. Now before everyone jumps on and tells me it's not a lakester because the wheels are streamlined, the wheel fairings are not actually intended for the real life build. I struck some difficulty cutting out the wheels with a hole saw and found that these little tapered characters were easier to carve out by hand than a perfect circle. The real one will have the wheels exposed in proper lakester style.....although the more I look at it........

Anyway, I am going for a WWII fighter aircraft theme, complete with nose art and a functioning 1943 air speed indicator along with some other cool guages and things poached from early warbirds (pics of these bits will follow soon).

Engine is Holden 253 bored out .040 which I intend to run on methanol. Gearbox is aussie 4 speed which will run through a chain drive quick change to a Salisbury diff. Front end is cast iron I beam off a '28 Essex super six. The one thing I will likely change from the model is to move the front axle forward slightly. This will give me a bit more room for the cabin and allow me to lay the drivers seat back a bit more. Also, I know a head fairing will assist with aerodynamics and I did try one on the model but it just didn't look right. Total length of the car should be about 4m.

PS I apologise in advance if the pictures don't work. As you might appreciate from the historically themed build, technology is not my thing.

Cheers
Last edited by walkingpace on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DLRA
Site Admin

Re: New lakester build

Post by DLRA »

Wow! Great design, great model.
Definitely has that old Timey look, but with an aero twist.
What will the body skin be made from?
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

I had planned on using aluminium for the skin however I don't have a TIG and I'd like to avoid inserting several thousand rivets so that may end up being impractical. My experience is all with steel and that better suits my tools so that looks like the route I'll take. If I do end up building the wheel fairings I will most likely make them in fibreglass from a single mold to ensure consistency.
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Yeah! Looks great. Where are you up to with it?
GAZ
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Thanks Gaz

At this stage it's a collection of parts and steel tubing. I'm moving house (and workshop) this week then work will commence putting the chassis together.
RGV

Post by RGV »

Nice bit of whittling. :D

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Yeah welcome aboard,

I hope you possess emmence patients as that is the 1 thing that this sport has tried to teach me on so many levels.

I am suffering at the moment and wondering why I persist but seeing your simple model this takes me back to why I started to do "what we do".

Each time I'm suffering like this I drag out "Burt" on the hard drive and sit down and watch it begining to end.

Good luck, don't give up. The very unique experience that we share is truly worth the pain.

Chris

btw, not many of us can spielll
Chris
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

We can weld good but!
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Speak for yourself, mine just has'nt fallen in half yet.
Can you weld Balsa?
Chris
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

I was going down the same path for a lakester, changed my mind and going to stick the motor in the back simpler build,it looks good though. Chris ,use Pinex welding rods. Cheers F.G
zork

Post by zork »

Should that be "Phoenix" welding rods?
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

No Zork ,PINEX welding rods made for wood,the kiwi boys would have heard of them. Cheers F.G
zork

Post by zork »

Lol.....funny
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

nice woodwork
Although...
with streamlined covers on the wheels, wouldn't it become a streamliner 5.A.2
G
They make it
I make it work
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Ah yes,,,the ol' Pinex Welding rods !!

Not as easy as to use as some may think , even though they are readily available at any corner store.
Only a few master tradesmen can truly master them and produce quality work.

The few "tricks of the trade",, Rods must be kept in a Chilly Bin , along with the Mutton Fat Flux (without the flux,the weld will look like Pukeko shit).We have also found that having a dozen or so cans of Lion Red stored in the chilly bin helps!

Most Important !!! The safety equipment (Using Pinex can be dangerous)
Make sure you have good woollen socks on your hands and you must wear size 10 Jandals to protect your feet.