Honda MG & MF 750

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Johno Senior

Re: Honda MG & MF 750

Post by Johno Senior »

This is the carby's and RC Engineering (1972) manifold combo I am planning to run, might be a bit old fashioned these days but for starting out on the salt it will be easy to tune with various venturis and reasonable mixing tubes etc they should get me to a point of matching the base carb requirements to suit the head / cam / gearing combos .

These old carbs are a dyno operators favourite, change anything. Weigh a bit compared to Mikuni or Kehin flatslide pumpers but I dont know what the optimum venturi size is yet so I'll run the bike with the old jiggers in , dial in the venturi size required and the following year get a set of the lighter modern carbs at the best size.
ciao johno
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

I was on annual leave starting this Monday, first day out down at seaside town of Victor Harbor, checked myself into the Hospital felt like crap, got hooping cough.......mega pain.........Today this forum is my stresss relief.

Got some good news from the man doing my head in the US Mike Rieks. A few years ago he done a Honda cb 750 Bonneville bike for a customer and he sent me some pics of that, and a pic of his new one for me :D :D :D at least the first stage of it. something to cheer me up anyway.
So this was his last honda salt head .......mine next thread.
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

This a pic of his first milling session, usual valve action .....bored to .9 of valve diam. the real buzz for me is how is going to raise the floor of the port,, mill the fins out of the road, put in big screws and and cast in a big chunk of poxy epoxy . Plastic fantastic :D :D :D
RGV

Post by RGV »

Looking good Johno, a bit of sea air will do the trick.

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Hi Dave,
just a long shot.
I'm a member of the VJMC and at their annual gathering of the bretheren at VH in March this year I seen a saltlake bike there on display but I cant remember what model , from memory it was something like yours ?????? any relation :D
cheers Johno
RGV

Post by RGV »

That was an RG250. Belongs to psteck727's lad. He bought it to the lake in 2010 I think and it had ignition problems and didnt get a run.

I was there as a spectator on my R1100S BM. Didnt display my RGV. Pity the weather was so average that weekend.

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Cheers Davo,
Yeh I entered my 69 H1 and my 72 K2 but the weather was crap so I didnt get them out of the van, Shame for me as it would have been the only 69 Kwaka there, dad changed the tank colour but other than that totally original, so after being a johno bike for 44 years I'm selling it next month to a guy from Port Lincoln who said he will bring it over for the next VJMC rally........putting the money into the salt bike. cant believe how much I'm spending, must be a late life crisis or something.

My honda K2 will never be sold while I'm alive......I bought it new in 72 I was anal in looking after it and it gave me the best 10 years of my life, so in 82 I parked it at my parents, sprayed it in a solution of preservative then went overseas working and Ive only started it and ridden once about four years ago when I rode it in the bay to birdwood, turned a few heads but bloody rained all day and it took me a month to clean and preserve again. as expected there was a good turnout of CB 750 at the Victor rally, I thought only maybe two were up to a good standard, but both were restored and I was keen to get my original unrestored parked alongside them for a comparison. Maybe next year if the weather is right. :D :D :D
I got a bit of a shack down that way at encounter bay to base from when it gets too hot in the Riverland.

Plus Maybe my LSR Honda and your RGV as well Davo?? a little DLRA stand ? .............not sure on the dates yet they may clash with speed week ??

Speedweek is good for me this year as my birthday is on 3rd March so on the Monday I can have some great birthday action by holding my bike flat chat for as long as I like and not get busted,,,,,,,,,awesome present , cant wait. will be bettter than this bloody bug I have now.
Johno
RGV

Post by RGV »

Hey Johno, ive got a shack at the riverland for when it gets too cold in the hills (Birdwood). LOL. One of my mates down on the flats has a Honda fetish. Must have 8 or 10 fours an original CBR1100 a V4 CBR1000? and some CBX's along with other twins n stuff. Im trying to talk him into building a salt bike but he tends to look at them rather than ride them.
I bought a GS1000 new in 78 and sold it a few years ago. Regret it now but thought I was over the bike bug. Turned 50 and decided to see have another go. Cant keep of them now. Sounds like a plan for a DLRA display at the next VJMC rally.
Look forward to having a B/Day drink with ya at the lake.

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
ben james

Post by ben james »

Johno Senior wrote:Image

This is the carby's and RC Engineering (1972) manifold combo I am planning to run, might be a bit old fashioned these days but for starting out on the salt it will be easy to tune with various venturis and reasonable mixing tubes etc they should get me to a point of matching the base carb requirements to suit the head / cam / gearing combos .

These old carbs are a dyno operators favourite, change anything. Weigh a bit compared to Mikuni or Kehin flatslide pumpers but I dont know what the optimum venturi size is yet so I'll run the bike with the old jiggers in , dial in the venturi size required and the following year get a set of the lighter modern carbs at the best size.
ciao johno
keep the Webers, that Russ Collins manifold is a work of art & a piece of history. remember you're tuning for wide open throttle & weight doesn't matter.
when I bring my Kawasaki back out to the salt, i'm going to run my Lectron carbs.
keep up the great work John. you only live once.
regards Ben
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

RGV wrote: I bought a GS1000 new in 78 and sold it a few years ago. Regret it now but thought I was over the bike bug. Turned 50 and decided to see have another go. Cant keep of them now.
Dave
Hey Dave, I know that feeling. Bought a brand new 750 Bonnie in Dec 81, sold it about 16 years ago to a mate. Bought it back off him 3 weeks ago.
Same with the age thing, 4 years ago I had 2 restoration projects in the shed. Now there are 7 bikes out there. :D :D :D :D

Great progress Johnno
I've pulled the head off mine and are slowly getting the big vavlve head ready to go on, maybe this week.

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
psteck727

Post by psteck727 »

Johno Senior wrote:Hi Dave,
just a long shot.
I'm a member of the VJMC and at their annual gathering of the bretheren at VH in March this year I seen a saltlake bike there on display but I cant remember what model , from memory it was something like yours ?????? any relation :D
cheers Johno
johno hi. we have not meet before i am not far from your place i live next door to the WANBI HOTEL and yes it is a rg 250 1983/4
Stecky #727 Z500
2009 = 124.739
Sean #836 RG250
Brad #896 Z500 ??

www.zownerssa.com
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Hi PSteck727, thanks for letting me know. I go past the pub regularly so I stop by sometime if your car is around.
Lots of nice quiet road available for some testing out your way :roll: :D :D :D

cheers johno
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

These are the frame splice kits so I can remove the two top rails and pull the head or cam etc :)
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

undercut dogs on 4th gear, hopefully wont jump out of gear at bad time, also the 4th gear is out of an early K gearbox and the 5th gear is out of a later F type gearbox so that 4th ( 1.097 : 1) and 5th (0.969:1) are really tight without spending big bucks on a Nova close ratio box.
johno
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

I lashed out and bought one of these new fangled full programmable, light sensor type ignitions, the only thing is I have sent back the coil pack as they sent me the dual coil version and I ordered 4 individual coils, just coz :roll: :D

Now Ive read the instructions all I need to do is get a degree in electronics to programme the curve, :wink: got to download some software and play with this and that...........sufferin catfish, wish I had Mossy's trumpy now :D :D :D
johno