Honda MG & MF 750

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Greg Watters

Re: Honda MG & MF 750

Post by Greg Watters »

bottom of the cyls cut just below the bottom ring so under piston air from 1 coming down easily passes to 2 going up
same with 4 and 3
one of my earlier ones, do it much easier now with an anglegrinder making a v then rounding it and recutting

Your a few mm smaller than the later 750, expected so but never hurts to ask
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Some serious work there Greg.
So reducing the pumping loss mod, is that a hypothetical or have you seen some numbers for the bike ?
I remember reading about a concerted effort by an old Chevy man David Vizzard who had a US university do lots of testing different ways to come up with some numbers, its in a couple of his performance books.
Speaking of old chevy men I tried the ol Grumpy Jenkins mod of exhaust vacuming the crankcase on a drag bike once, bought the bits from the local speed shop, exh nozzle , oneway valve and tubing etc but on my bike set up it made no difference to the ET on or off, figured the weight wasnt worth it. I didnt pursue it as the engine was not at the elite level of output and me taking a dump before the run made more difference. :D

I find the pumping redution interesting, I guess your looking at something for nothing , a bit of labour. Is this a common mod on the US bikes ?

cheers johno
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Results will vary with the bottom end design, the busa and gsxr 750 have a similar shape in the cases where the cyls drop on, looks like they planned it but never finished
later bikes like gen 2 busa have it standard, and i have seen other brands with holes in the bottom of the cyls, even with the one piece case/cyls that is just about universal now , they vaugely resemble a 2 stroke with the exhaust where the transfers should be
i have no before and after , as after i pull them apart they all look like that, just one of those costs nothing , no negative, maybe positive things
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

just setting up to checka few clearances and deck height etc
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

.008 thou deck height, .048 head to piston clearance, hell I like my play doh....makes me feel young
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

weather was too hot, 45 in shed still 39 at 10 pm tonight
drove to adelaide to buy the fuel, sunneco supreme, $355. for two 20 lire drums,
then new bridgestone tyres, skinny suckers all mounted balanced rarin too go, HMMM just need a bike now. getting a bit ahead of myself.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Hey Johno, you should do a candle smoke job on your YELLOW paint job mate.
I'm not sure if I will notice it on the salt without something BRIGHT
Good job with the build btw.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

While I was waiting for the new set of rings I done the clearance checks,
The larger inlet valve was just nicking the edge of the valve cutaway, depending on the rock of the piston at TDC, I had the head off 4 times before I realised what was going on. I just ground the lip back about 1.5mm for valve clearance , but in doing so I ground through the ceramic coating. Time for poor mans ceramic coating, VHT exhaust paint. Before the ceramic thing came on the market I used to do all my piston tops in this paint as an insulator....worked well.
so just like the old days
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

The rear sprockets arrived today, 43 and 41 teeth, 520 alloy. From Titmans racing , two gold o ring chains and 20 joiners should do the rest.
I was going to run none o ring chain for more ponies at rear wheel but after reading a few yarns on this forum about chains wearing dramatic II thought O ring and lots of lube :D
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

this is why I am running webers ! here is another set of carbies for approx $200, these are a 32mm combo venturis and jets , the set up I have in my carbs to start is 31mm venturies, I'll try both on the dyno and see which size gets the nod
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Bought this italiano fork brace off ebay cheap, the guy bought the wrong model, my good luck 8) 8) 8)
harky

Post by harky »

keep @ it Johno
like a man I worked for years ago said ---------- at 5'0 clock just think you have started a NEW shift , ------ I did it for a few days and then got REALLY tired
the thing about race cars / bikes time disappears ---- I known not where it goes
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Hi Harky , thanks for the encouraging words.......you read my mind....tired

Are you heading up this year ? if I know you your totally organised.

I suppose this heat wave will end late Feb....fingers crossed and beautifull autumn weather to greet us on the salt, if I'm not suffering heat exhaustion by then
cheers johno
harky

Post by harky »

pm sent
the real pain is in the past I m the one who needed the "pickup " trailer
made one so I don't need to use it ---------- might work
seeyasoon@thelake
harky
ps dyno s are evil things ---------- or is it just me !!!???
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

harky wrote:ps dyno s are evil things ---------- or is it just me !!!???
ive been going in and out of dyno rooms for years now, its always a relief to walk out of 'em, even when your motors broken, :)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,