Honda MG & MF 750

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

harky

Re: Honda MG & MF 750

Post by harky »

Johnno --- you think its a detonation issue ----but only on #2 ???
it would be interesting to "time " 2 on a degree wheel and see where it is compared to where its "ment "to be
I know you said you had tricky spark making gear ---- but you didnt have that the first time ????
Sad to see broken stuff ----- fascinating ----- but a bit sad ------better when I dont have to pay for it
want to buy a GPZ --------huge--------- potentional -------- just a good rider out of luck !!!!!!
You and Finny could be fighting this battle for years ------ love it !!!!!!!!!
enough --------- I m off to walk a 1000k
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Just a thought while looking at the carnage , where does the fuel feed the carbs from and does each needle and seat free flow the same when bowls are off ,
what is tap flow like and what tank breather does it have
harky

Post by harky »

Hello
Johnno
I m back ------I kmow why your doctor went back to live in Spain ------food & wine ----is good
I needed him a few times ( walking 800 k ---not 1000 as I said ) a few bits needed doctoring
enough -------- whats happening ?????????
Busa work continues ------I ll need to do strenghening exercised so I dont get blown off !!!
they tell me naked you need to hang on more !!!
johnno------ johnno where are you ??????
hello -----stop crying ----- buy more bits
its only money
cheers
sore feet harky
harky
DLRA #643
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Well hello folks, ONE MORE GO FOR THIRD TIME LUCKY and that's it, I won't bore anyone again.maybe :D

Well its been a few years now, got over my depression of losing two good engines through no fault of mine, it was my best shot and it went wrong. However time has healed me, had a break and was getting bored with this covid thing, started pottering around in the shed and now I got the need for speed again, realised Id rather bounce down the track than go out on a ventilator all on me lonesome.

The problem was 100% ignition computer, it was spraying spark around like a mad womans shite, no 1 set spot on when timing , number 2 was 15 deg over advanced , number 3 was 15 deg retarded and I didn't check number 4 as it was very difficult to check each cylinder and I realised what the problem was. The US builder / supplier refused to talk to me even though I was quite reasonable in discussion as he said he was afraid it would go to court and I would sue him, I assured him I understood the woes of racing and I just wanted him to hav e a look at the problem and tell me if it was worth pursuing. He stopped any form of communication so that was that, just like a box of chocolates.

So done what I should have done originally and bought a dynotek reprogrammable ignition total loss like lots of other people KISS.

I have finished off the extended swing arm, changed wheels, installed a smaller rear disc brake and caliber etc

I have built a stronger better primary drive cushion hub to handle the mega hp :lol:

The head has been repaired to no 2 chamber re ccd, all seats done to same height to make setting the geometry easier, new valves purchased for the burnt no 2 cylinder just in case, new pistons, still some matching to do on them yet and carry out the assembly.

Ive got pics to show but a lots changed in the last few years, photo bucket is not working for me so Ill have to investigate what's going on. But our ol mate Harky might be able to let me know how again, he is the photo king these days :D
cheers Johno
harky

Post by harky »

been a long time Johnno. mechanical depression can linger
Postimage is your new friend
Mrs harky is the I T gooroo. , without her NON of my bikes would run
progress on my dyno ( repair - rebuild ) may interest you
i know you are 60+ ks away , long drive for the “ aged” 😳😷🦠🦠🦠🥶🥶🥶
you DO need a password to get into my workshop
harky
DLRA #643
RGV

Post by RGV »

Hey Johno good to see ya still alive. Here is a link to a hot fix for photo ####. Not sure if ya still need it to view old pics. This one is for chrome.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... aedg?hl=en
Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Hey Johnno

Glad your still around and going forward

You now have Modified Classic Gas and Fuel to play in. :wink:

Pete :)
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
BONES

Post by BONES »

Johno,
If some of the frame has holes from rust, what is the rest of it like?
My experience with rust is you have to cut a a bunch to find good material.

cheers Bones
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Johnno,

I have an optical digital ignition and a car type coil for the SOHC CB750 ... I put my Dynotek in the bin after a brand new setup started to fail and then failed completely over two years at Bonneville. Happy to send it to you to try out if you like.

I also found that when one side of the standard petcock is flowing 100% the other side can stutter. I used two totally different fuel lines to get over that problem.

Cheers
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Hi Bones: yeh normally with rust its like where there is smoke there is fire, BUT with the old Honda cb 750 series after about the 72 K2 models their production line was pumping out 1,500 cb 750 bikes a month and couldn't cope well, one of the few things they got wrong was where they welded the left hand rear engine mount to the cradle tube they were supposed to leave a hole top and bottom, unfortunately after they spray painted the frame the bottom drain hole was blocked with paint ensuring any water coming in the top hole from cleaning etc stayed in the space of frame tube / bracket mount, eventually rusting. Normally stuffs the frame but I couldn't resist the challenge to repair it :D so all good Bones.

Russ, thanks for the info on the petcocks, the petcock I have is a Pingal duel outlet and while I was trying to work out why same cylinder was detonating every build I set up the tank and done some flow tests from tank through the carbs and all was well.

I did hear on the SOHC Honda forum that the dyna ignitions have had a chequered history , the early Dyna S were reliable but in about 2014 to 2017 they changed their pick ups design and had lots of failures over these few years, didn't like heat. The same forum , mostly drag racers are saying the new series pickups are fine. So will give it a go. Kinda wished I had the ol RC engineering maggy but they hang out in the wind a lot for LS. I was planning to take up a set of points base plate complete etc for just in case scenario.
Russ if you could find the time to post a pic or email me a pic of the ignition system you mentioned Id be keen to have a look.

Harky Im on my way ! :D :D :roll:
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

:) Welcome back Johno, You seem to woken the forum too ?
Well done
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
harky

Post by harky »

just 1/2 an hour up the road Johno , soon to be mellow yellow and you are ok , it measures up to about 200 hp
oh. sorry. that’s right it’s NOT a busa.
harky
DLRA #643
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Harky,
Normally in regard to Busa owners I say they get it too easy, go buy a new bike put a chip in walla 200 BUT your an exception Harky, bordering on obsessive, either that or your a workerholic .😀 Your fabrication skills are getting into the hi end now mate. Bet you wish you were that smart and good 30 years ago.
All you need now is a big ticker to hold it flat and hang on.😁
The thing about recumbent bikes Harky is u can make like a lounge, mini bar and snacks alongside for while your waiting for the crew .
On a more serious note your mobile dyno is looking great, let me know when you want to try it out, If your going to have 4 megaphones I have a neighbour that needs to realise how quiet I am.

PS looking good mate.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Like the look of that transportable Dyno Steve,,
I'm not sure if your only placing anchor points at the corners where I see holes,, suggest that you also place anchor points fore and aft at sharper angles which are less forgiving to swing movement,, also points to "pull" the tyre down onto the drum,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,