Honda MG & MF 750

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Greg Watters

Re: Honda MG & MF 750

Post by Greg Watters »

Yes it depends how far you want to go , if you machine the head an off the shelf piston will fit if you need a replacement , if you machine the piston, do you have 5
how much scope is there to lower (or raise)the cylinders, are you running a gasket ?
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Your Honda is trying to mimic a ladies wristwatch Johno , "watch" out mate, Ross collects 'em :wink:
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
harky

Post by harky »

hello --------hello ----------is any one out ther ???????????????/ hello ------------testing
Its all gone quiet ---------No body is talking !!!!!!!!!!!!!1
update johno ------------have you been alseep -------------come on its warming up ---------frozen riverland is warming up
come on
up date
I tell you what I have been doing but it tooooooooo secret ----------sound barrier stuff !!!!!!!!!!!

harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Agreed, be Speedweek before we know it.
Chris
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Sorry Harky I havent been around, I had to square up with my wife for my over indulgance in motorcycling last Feb, took a lap around the globe, got back two days ago & cost me a mutza. While in Paris I tried to find that barstard who robbed you Harky but he must have seen my flick knife under the jacket.

On a more race note I called into the BMW museum in Munich, they had an impressive museum, some land speed action.....next pic.
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

BMW had the land speed record , dont worry folks I measured up the fairing ?

I checked my texts today and my arch rival Finny ar la captain suzuki has got his bike going and taunting me. Dont worry finny I am holding back until the last minute, dont want my valve springs to soften, rings get rusty. I want mellow yellow to be pumpin baby. :D :D
cheers johno
harky

Post by harky »

Johnno
thought you had Hibinated , or is that hybinated -------old mechanics dont do spelin
good to travel ---( except for getting robbed ) ----great to get home
ok nuff niseeties -----back to the shed johnno ----------your wife will understand
just back from a volunteer thing I do in remote communities ----was @ Alice on the way to Finke
met J bowe ( I grew up with him and helped with his first cars ---a long time ago )
he and D.J were in Alice to run the last GT falcon ( off the production line) up the road ( no speed limit in NT )
it ran 297K ---( they were trying for 300 ) John said the high inlet temps killed the top speed
they had a chopper checking and clearing the road --( lots of camels and other wandering stuff up there )
so that was my week

nice shape BM ., Germans knew about slippery , along time ago
back to both sheds
harky
harky
DLRA #643
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Funny Harky,
Old Mechanics don't do spellin, also don't hear, can't stand up straight, fingers don't work to good, hate workin on modern shit with a passion, backs are usually crook. Come with a short fuse.
Chris
harky

Post by harky »

yep got ALL that ---------but you have some motec background that I trying to catch up on
still cant believe what we can do ( if i knew how )
Data logging , osilloscope snapshots of my crank and cam sensors , --------stuff of farts like me never drempt of
and I am only @ the entry level of ecu s ( m84) --------still havint finished wiring it but having fun playing with a loom full of different colours
even if it never goes i m in wiring heaven----------- then there is the other dont do well thing ----------READ INSTRUCTIONs-------- how to wire your M84 page 1
page 4405 ---- how to programme your M84
im 62 --------- could be 72 before I get to break the sound barrier on this thing !!!!!!!!
back to the shed
harky
harky
DLRA #643
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Chris, did you say stuffed back, stuffed fingers, eyes getting shaged, short fuse, hate working on modern shit. :shock: Struth I thought it was just me.
cheers johno
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I hear ya, technology, it's a love / hate relationship
!st thing I'll buy when the lotto retires me, is a fountain 'o' youth,,followed by another Mk1 leMans Guzzi, Norton Mercury SS 650, & a 750 Commando "S"
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Well Finny, a la captain suzuki, its time for the rebirth of my honda, its time for me to shake a leg,2 months to go, I reckon Ive judged it just nice so my valve springs wont sag and my rings wont rust :D

I finshed machining the pistons, got the clearances I was after, both valve to piston and piston to head, both the inlet and exhaust cutaways that I milled go into the edge of the piston but there are a few guys on this forum that run em that close. so I'll give it a go, all balanced ,

None of the fancy shit with these babies ie ceramic coated , moly up walls etc, just good ol fashioned pistons , big fat juicy rings that wont fold on assembly, cant wait.
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

The new old pistons a bit different higher domes etc but work out the same comp ratio at 12.1 to 1 , due to more clearancing machining.
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Took about four dry assemblies before I got the pistons right, I am using the old barrels for the piston dummy up, now to get a new set of barrels bored to suit the new pistons , still 1mm oversize same as the others but I decided to run slightly less clearence than the 2 ringed JE pistons (.003) the new 3 ring JE pistons I have had bored , last thou honed 500 to 600 grit and clearance at 2.3 thou
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

The new old pistons came without wrist pins, I was going to use stock pins at 53mm long and 15mm diam but they cost over $100 for a set of stockys,
I tried JE pistons on two seperate occaisions to make some for me and they just said they werent interested, I looked at some wiseco sets but they didnt have 53mm long only 56mm from their big bore range. Anyway I had a new Venolia 900 big bore kit in the cupboard from the old days so I machined the end of from 56mm back to 53mm , all good, burnt up two tips but thats life, squealed louder than a missus under duress.