mini me lakester.

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

boyracer

mini me lakester.

Post by boyracer »

I did a project recently with my students to create a CO2 canister powered racer to compete against each other on a 20m timed track.
Loosely based on the 'F1 in schools' challenge which annually pits 9 million students against each other to produce a CO2 car using STEM (science,technology,engineering and maths) cross curricular learning.
A team from Brighton High School in SA recently won the World Championships in Abu Dhabi.

Our quick week long challenge involved each student being given a 600 gm piece of pine and an axle/wheel combo. Certain rules for wheelbase, engine housing, etc. needed to be adhered to as these things can do 120 km/h down the (tethered) track.
I had a go at one myself along side the students. Here is my entry...

'THE SPIRIT OF SODASTREAM'.

Of course it blitzed the field. 11N in the wind tunnel. 70.1gm (before moondiscs) and 1.325seconds for the race.
The field:
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!
boyracer

Re: mini me lakester.

Post by boyracer »

The World championship car.
12 months of work for 5 SACE students, using CATIA CAD-CAM, 4 axis mill and 3D printer, smoke tunnel, wind tunnel, carbon fibre and 6mm O.D. full ceramic axle bearings.

54.7 gm, 3N in wind tunnel, 1.032 seconds.

Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

About 10 years ago my son at highschool went in competition for the fastest and / or furtherest rubber band powered vehicle, was the best part about having kids I got right into it and spent hours in the shed looking for the optimum combonations , the pic shows the basic unit my son done then version 2 &3 , didnt win the quickest but romped in the longest distance.. :D Hmmmmmm wonder if I can use that technology on the salt ?
johno
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

Yes. Yes you can.

Only does about 30mph though.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

needs a bigger windup handle :lol:
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

boyracer wrote:I did a project recently with my students to create a CO2 canister powered racer to compete against each other on a 20m timed track.
Loosely based on the 'F1 in schools' challenge which annually pits 9 million students against each other to produce a CO2 car using STEM (science,technology,engineering and maths) cross curricular learning.
A team from Brighton High School in SA recently won the World Championships in Abu Dhabi.

Our quick week long challenge involved each student being given a 600 gm piece of pine and an axle/wheel combo. Certain rules for wheelbase, engine housing, etc. needed to be adhered to as these things can do 120 km/h down the (tethered) track.
I had a go at one myself along side the students. Here is my entry...

'THE SPIRIT OF SODASTREAM'.

Of course it blitzed the field. 11N in the wind tunnel. 70.1gm (before moondiscs) and 1.325seconds for the race.
The field:
I can't help but notice the similarity to a certain dlra car, funny because I had a fascination with building fly by wire co2 rockets when I was a kid, I'd have about 25m of fishing tackle and I had a turned wooden salt shaker that fitted a sparkler bulb perfectly,man it went fast!
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

Can't believe i forgot to send the photos straight to you Doc.
Hope you like it.
I was going for So-Cal, but looked too plain with all red tail.
I remember as a kid getting cheap model planes and fitting CO2 canisters to 'em. We would fill the inside with black powder/fuel/match heads etc. and fire them down a line strung between 2 trees! The explosions were awesome.
No wonder i ended up as a shotfirer in the mines!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dr G - Copyright infringement???
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Lynchy wrote:Dr G - Copyright infringement???

Ba hah hah

G
They make it
I make it work