Gas Turbine streamliner

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

grumm441

Re: Gas Turbine streamliner

Post by grumm441 »

OK
It's just, looking at where the exhaust comes out in the video, I can see small a problem.
When you're at the start line you may have some issues
I would've thought the exhaust coming out the top would've made more sense with the added downforce
and it not pointing at the spectators, crews, and starters.

G
They make it
I make it work
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Hi Grumm, this is a turbo shaft engine, not a jet engine. There is hot air coming out the exhaust, but not enough to create any down force. Standing about 20 feet away you wont notice it. This engine makes about 1000 hp..... Vesco's Turbinator at Bonneville makes about 5000 hp with a similar exhaust set up and they don't seem to have any problems. Long story short I would not poke my head in the exhaust while it's running and would keep the same distance away on the start line as you would any other 1000hp Race car.
Cheers Ian...
momec3

Post by momec3 »

That is all looking good. From a scrutineering standpoint please read the rulebook thoroughly regards cage tube material and basic structure. At this stage of the build it is easy to fix any minor issues. Any questions or queries contact one of the scruitineering crew. We will all be happy to help.
Chris
penny

Post by penny »

From the turbinator website , exhaust pressure 60 psi.
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Hi Chris, thanks for that, yep gone through the rule book (for many years) and have recently sent some emails to the scrutineers about some steering changes.
The cage and chassis are the "large" size tube 42mm (1 5/8")MS, I have changed one major thing in that instead all the cage vertical forces on the top rail, they are spread between the top & bottom rail. If I need to change it back to all on the top rail, so be it, but I feel it is safer this way, will wait for the reply about steering and go from there.
I have all the drawings ready to go if they want them...

Cheers Ian...
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Ok then
I thought it might be coming out of there hot and fast, but that adresses my concerns
I'll get back to my Lakesters :D
G
They make it
I make it work
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Cheers Grumm, I know this is a bit different to other engines run at Lake Gairdner so always happy to answer any questions.

The main thing people will notice is the noise.

None of those pesky pistons going up and down.... just a beautiful turbine scream .... :)

Cheers Ian...
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Can see its early days but my question came from seeing your front hoop not going through to the bottom rail. I think this is a requirement.
Chris
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Theres a great picture from Bonneville of Turbinator getting ready to leave the line
And Bones is standing in the background, with his fingers in his ears
G
They make it
I make it work
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Hi Chris, yep the front hoop does not go directly to the bottom rail, according to the rules ALL the tubes don't go directly to the bottom rail. They have a tube to fill in the gap between top and bottom and that is still to go in. The centre and rear tubes go to the lower rail and will be tied into the top later. The centre and rear tubes are set in to give more side protection, after looking at a lot of crashes, seems like the sides takes big hits and this way there will be double the side protection. By having the front wider on the top rail gives more access for getting out in a hurry. I have sent drawings of the cage to Rob a few years ago and he made some suggestions. Since then I had an Aero guy go over the final shape and make some changes to the body shape that has changed the chassis so as soon an I hear back from the scrutineers about the steering I will pass this on. Cheers

Yep Grumm, turbines make a bit of noise somewhere between 120dB and 155dB according to Google.

I guess salt lake racing is all about turning dollars into noise so hope people like it.... :)

Cheers
Ian...
harky

Post by harky »

it’s very interesting to watch your s and everyone else’s projects
thanks for the regular updates
if we have to put up with the beeeee buzzzing noises ( 2 smokes ) your noise will be different ——need ear muffs
just like an airport worker
in time there will be some seriously fast stuff to watch and listen to , Ross B s 3 engines ( come to mind ) will echo off the mountain range , must take a tape recorder .
yours will wake us all , and on cold nights ( sometimes happens ) we can use it as a camp heater
keep the story coming
must be an easier way to post photos !
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Yep Harky, would be good to be able to put pics up.
Like a lot of other people I am caught up in the Photo-bucket ransom scam.
10 years free hosting of pics, now they $520 per year for it and can't get my pics back unless I pay them.....
Sucks, but this is the digital world we live in ...... I can buy a lot of beer with $520 per year, so will have to put up YouTube and FB posts until they do the same thing...
Cheers Ian...
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Ian look up tinypic, they do similar to what photobucket once did ,
gidge348

Post by gidge348 »

Hi Greg, thanks for that, I believe TinyPic is owned by Photobucket so not sure how long it will remain free, but might give it a try... Cheers Ian...
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Hey Ian

I use this site https://postimages.org/

It seems to work fine for Third Party Posting of Pics .....

Here is my latest Build Diary Page using postimage ...... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1753&start=210

hope it helps

Cheers

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866