WA rookie team have a Hudson Terraplane

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Gus

Re: WA rookie team have a Hudson Terraplane

Post by Gus »

That's actually 100 mph tape. I've been informed buy one of our technical experts that if we put 2 or more wraps around anything, it increases its rating exponentially and will be good for 200 mph+. With advice like that on hand, were confident well have what we need to hit some goals next year.
"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

If two wraps of 100mph tape increases the rating to 200mph then it is not exponential. It is linear.
Just saying...sorry, couldn't help myself.
:)
harky

Post by harky »

ahhhh
you learn SO much on this forum
just sayin
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Harky,

"so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000"

now that is an example of logarithmic growth!
...just sayin'

GAZ
harky

Post by harky »

i should upgrade that
the $20,000 has long gone and i've gone 40 mph faster ------- could say that was an ABJECT failure
( some people thought my tag was a serious statement)
i don't do serious too often
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

that would be the law of diminishing returns then?

Just sayin!
Gus

Post by Gus »

BIG GAZ wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:24 pm If two wraps of 100mph tape increases the rating to 200mph then it is not exponential. It is linear.
Just saying...sorry, couldn't help myself.
:)
Gaz, a man like your self, I thought you would have been paying attention to the details. There is a plus " +" after the 200. Just saying....
"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Lynchy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 am that would be the law of diminishing returns then?

Just sayin!
Now aint that the truth :mrgreen:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well, been a while since ive put up an update. Managed to break my leg at one of our recent Terraplane work/drinking meetings so thats not helping us get the car ready. The good news it should be good as new in time for speed week.

Finally managed to land 2 MT Bonneville back tires, the bill for those was a bit to swallow.

Cam is away at Marshall Custom Cams getting a re grind to improve valve train stability, so the motor is splattered all over my shed at the moment.

So we've been working on installing the new drive-line. we have basically had to start from scratch again. Changing from conventional motor mounts to motor plates takes a bit. We've also had to add some extra clearance to the chassis for the dry sump setup but all under control now. The new bell housing needed shortening a little to match out input shaft on the lenco. As this motor is around twice the RPM of our last motor the tail shaft has had to be thrown in the bin and were yet to set up the new one which will also incorporate a center support bearing. So still plenty to do there.

Most of you would be familiar with our beer keg cooling water tank up the front. Thats now had a volume increase with around 100l re-purposed LPG tank installed in the rear passenger foot well and linked together. Partly for increased cooling capacity and also for increased ballast.

We've also added roof rails, that was quite a job with such a curvy roof but were happy with the end result. A laser came in handy running the lines down the roof and getting it all to point in the right direction.

Construction of a rear wing is under way, This adds more work as we wont be able to open the boot in the conventional way to access the fuel tank,pump and batteries. So more work to go there.

The dash is getting a bit of a re-work, installing a race pack data logging dash and MSD power grid. This will give us the ability to automatically cut the ignition if our air fuel ratio goes out of spec or oil pressure and hopefully save the engine. So a full re-wire of the car to come yet. Also we need to install the air shift buttons next to the steering wheel for the lenco gearbox. One of the benefits of the Lenco is it has a sprag bearing so there is no engine breaking through the drive line if we were to cut the ignition. That could be a bit exciting.

We've also got a one piece fiberglass hood in progress, this to allow us to stick a scoop out the bonnet. The floppy old hinged bonnet was a bit painful.

Oh yea and the suicide doors have had bear claw latches fitted on the front and the rear doors permanently shut. So that should get us past tech inspection to go a bit faster than 150mph next year.

Thats about it for now, ill put some pictures up when i work out how. Having a bit of trouble.
Cheers
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Gus, I got your message, but I thought I'd post the answer here so that others can see as well.
Can't help you wiith any more space on the forum to host images.

You can still link to Photobucket thumbnails and they will show up here.
Example

Code: Select all

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/dlra2/2017/th_speedweek2017white.jpg

But you cannot link to the full size image, the way around this is to use the IMAGE link to the right of the image in Photobucket
and just paste into your post, which looks like this

Code: Select all

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/dlra2/media/tailem-bend201105/tailem-bend201105-069.jpg.html][IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/dlra2/tailem-bend201105/tailem-bend201105-069.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Gus

Post by Gus »

Thanks mate, Ill have a crack.

If ive done it right you should see thumbnails and then click on them for the bigger image.

last years cam on the right new one on the left. Both small block chev. Only 0.450" more lift on the new cam :shock:

The rear motor plate in the early stages

The motor plate and new clutch can test fit, steering clears!

The first stage of pulling a mold of the bonnet, gel coat . You can also see the blue tape lines where we ran the roof rails.

And the rear tail feathers, really just trying to bring the CP back a bit. Still more work to go.

Gus

Post by Gus »

Ive been posting updates on Facebook these days. Its just a bit more convenient. Weve just got our motor dynoed 905hp so if anyone is interested heres the link or search for " Terraplane Land Speed Racing Team "

https://www.facebook.com/terraplanelandspeed/