WA rookie team have a Hudson Terraplane

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

momec3

Re: WA rookie team have a Hudson Terraplane

Post by momec3 »

Gus.
Suicide doors should not be a problem. Your cage and window net needs to keep you within the confines (ie inside plane of the cage) regardless of what the body panels do.
Put some thought into window net design early in the cage build. It has to cover the entire opening. Lower section (legs area) also. Its just as easy to pop some sheetmetal on lower sections (leg/ankle area).
Make sure all above is inside the inner plane of the cage including buckles etc. This will get you through scuitineering easy.
Many window nets we see at scuit are often an afterthought.
Saying that I would still have a close look at the door latch condition.

Chris
Chris
Gus

Post by Gus »

Cheers Chris, more quality info.

Another Question for anyone whos in the know. We are starting to work out our cage now. It will be a basic 6 point cage with all the extra bits as per the rule book. My question is about the the mounts through to the chassis. Our intention is to chop the factory 1936 body mounts off the chassis and weld on some heavy duty versions. Then bolt in the cage sandwiching the floor of the body through to these heavy duty chassis mounts. This will enable us to be able to take the body off the chassis if we ever need to. And perhaps in the future build a new faster lower chassis. Does this sound like the right thing to do?
"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Sounds right. The rule book has minimum spec cage foot plate size and thickness. If cage is bolt in this spec is a minimum. Shape can vary to suit location but retain surface area. Bigger is fine.
Chris
Gus

Post by Gus »

Im away at work but the progress keeps happening. John and Darren flat out again today. They scored a SFI flywheel and nice 800hp rated clutch kit today. We have a bonus SFI bellhousing we want to sell on if anyone wants it. Were running a T56 6 speed

The Lakewood 77-150 bellhousing connects small block and big block Chevy engines to transmissions utilizing the GM standard pattern such as the Muncie, Saginaw, Borg Warner T10 and Tremec TKO transmissions.

Boys tested out the pipe bender today and are happy with the bends so cage will be under way soon.
Hudson 010.jpg
Hudson 010.jpg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 67109 times
And if you look in the pics you can see the 4 heavy duty cage mounts along side the original body mounts. havent sorted out the Kicker mounts yet.
Hudson 005.jpg
Hudson 005.jpg (97.81 KiB) Viewed 67109 times
Next job is to cut a big hole in the back part of the floor to fit the rear suspension in. Thats why the body is sitting up so high.
Hudson 007.jpg
Hudson 007.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 67109 times
And also we haven't lowered the front yet, were still on the scrounge for drop spindles (dont want to spend 900 bucks really on new ones). Front will come down around 5 inches from whats in the pic. Still quite high but as much work as we wanted to commit our selves to this year.
"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"
Gus

More progress

Post by Gus »

Well John and Darren are still at it today, while I'm at work makin money to pay for the new stroud fire extinguisher kit. First proper fit of the body today, bit more massaging to go yet, but getting there.
Hudson 011.jpg
Hudson 011.jpg (41.88 KiB) Viewed 67078 times
Hudson 009.jpg
Hudson 009.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 67078 times
Good to see Darren using his PPE, gloves ,overalls...........boots?
Hudson 007.jpg
Hudson 007.jpg (61.15 KiB) Viewed 67078 times
Gus

History Lesson

Post by Gus »

I knew nothing about the Hudson Terraplane's until I chanced upon one online (We found our one on stalkbook) so I thought i would post a link about it if your interested.
405431JS-17.jpg
405431JS-17.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 67043 times
This is what we a trying to improve on
Hudson Terraplane (1936) Specifications:
Top speed: 80 mph (128 km/h)
0-60 mph (0-96 km/h): 23.2 sec
Engine type: In-line six
Displacement: 212 ci (3,474 cc)
Transmission: 3-speed manual
Max power: 88 bhp (65 kW) @ 3,800 rpm
Weight: 2,740 lb (1,245 kg)
Economy: 16 mpg (5.66 km/I)

These things were quite the rage once, Amelia Earhart, Orville Wright, Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, and others used to roll around in these, there's even a blues song about them. Apparently there was a bunch of racing records as well pikes peak back to back at one stage.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/terraplane.cfm

More pics of that nice one
http://www.schmitt.com/inventory/ds-193 ... uxe-sedan/

Enjoy
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

So have you committed to a class yet?
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Gus

Post by Gus »

I think, but not 100%

B/CGALT for John and Darren

And depending on how I set up the donk I might run B/CFALT with nitrous

Opinions?
Gus

Post by Gus »

downloadfile-4.jpeg
downloadfile-4.jpeg (48.95 KiB) Viewed 66986 times
downloadfile-2.jpeg
downloadfile-2.jpeg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 66986 times
Filling in the floor and the start of the fuel cell mounting
Gus

More progress

Post by Gus »

John sent me a couple more pics of today's efforts.
Hudson 013.jpg
Hudson 013.jpg (40.52 KiB) Viewed 66950 times
Hudson 011-1.jpg
Hudson 011-1.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 66950 times
Hudson 012.jpg
Hudson 012.jpg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 66950 times
You'll notice the beer bottle frequently in John's pictures. That's just to rub it in that I'm away at work where it's 100% dry. Johns like that. :|

Today I ordered some electrical bits for the isolators and what not. Also trying to work out what tires to put on the front. I've worked out there isn't much around that has a speed rating high enough for 14" rims. So we will be looking for some HQ pattern 15" or 16" rims. We wanted to keep the front wheels as small as we can to help keep the front down but you can only do what you can do if you don't want to spend too much. The treads on the back are W rated (270kph) so we will aim for the same on the front. Not having any clue how fast we will be on the salt makes this hard. Be nice to crack 150mph on our first attempt..... but honestly I think we will be doing great just to show up and make a pass.
Cheers
momec3

Post by momec3 »

15" or 16" with a 45 profile are still very low.
Love that Black Terraplane.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Go with 15" rather than 16" if you can, the more air volume you have the higher the load rating will be.

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Gus wrote:I think, but not 100%

Opinions?
With both these classes currently open, you're well on the way to setting some records!
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Gus

Post by Gus »

DLRA wrote:
Gus wrote:I think, but not 100%

Opinions?
With both these classes currently open, you're well on the way to setting some records!

Awesome thats what I wanted to know, I Didn't think there was any record yet. Now we just have to see if we will have any other new rookies turn up to give us a race.

I need to speak to someone regarding our modifications too ensure we meet the class. Our intention is to block off the front grill as we don't have the original anyway and remove the headlights. I haven't mentioned it yet but if time permits we plan to chop it as well 3".
Gus

Front treads

Post by Gus »

Chris, Dave

Thanks for the pointers.

Ive only managed to find these but in my opinion a bit too wide for the front, I would be looking at a 7 inch wide rim probably, would rather a max of 6". 195/50R15 w rated @270kph167mph Potenza Adrenalin RE003 bridgestone or Nitto NT555.

Anyone else know of some good speed rated 15"s,not to fat? what about drag racing front runners? how fast and how heavy can we be on those? I cant find manufacturer ratings?
Hudson 008.jpg
Hudson 008.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 66880 times