WA rookie team have a Hudson Terraplane

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Gus

Re: WA rookie team have a Hudson Terraplane

Post by Gus »

Might be a bit hard to see, I've been working on the wiring for the terraplane. A bit more goes into it than you realize when you start putting a couple of gauges in and the safety shutdown stuff. Not much else i can do while i'm stuck at work so this will give us something to start with when we all get back into it in a couple of days. The layouts not the best, it really needs redrawing but we figured we'll do an "as built" once we've actually done it, as well probably change a few things here and there.

"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"
big chook

Post by big chook »

Don't you just hate auto wiring jobs , Just a matter of writing down what you require to power and a little forward thinking , It's not too hard to make corrections as you go , Good luck with your cool project .. cheers Mick
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Remember the external E/Stop needs to be located at the rear of the vehicle. Somewhere a bit protected but easy to see for crash crew. An inside one for driver is good also but not mandatory. Looks like you have covered all the safety side well.
Chris
Gus

Post by Gus »

Yup we have both and the rear battery isolator switch has a second contact that will ensure the ignition and fuel pumps are all shut down even if the Alternator is still making current.
"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"
momec3

Post by momec3 »

You got that covered. Tick. Next item.
Chris
Gus

Post by Gus »

John found this interesting FREE website that you can upload a 2D profile and it makes a video of air/fluid flowing over it to help work out your aerodynamics.
All you have to do is have a picture of your car and edit the background out completely white and it does the rest its self. Not sure how useful it is, but it's good if you want to waste some time before fly out day. And it is a bit mesmerizing. Ive drawn a front splitter on our work in progress and the chute and rear wing. I also have the car going uphill a bit which i need to fix.

http://www.flowillustrator.com

couldn't work out how to upload the video so i put it on youtube

https://youtu.be/MBDRYgP6uf0

Tip: make the background area behind your car a bit bigger than me so you can see a bit more of the flow behind it.
flow3.JPG
flow3.JPG (116.32 KiB) Viewed 44828 times
flow 1.JPG
flow 1.JPG (115.22 KiB) Viewed 44828 times
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Thats interesting, thanks for shareing 8) ,,

Like you, I'm waiting to go to work and haven't yet read up everything about how this works,, one quick question, can you adjust the speed of the air flow ?,, if not, do you know what its set at ?
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
momec3

Post by momec3 »

That's a great link. I'll try and do the F Truck tonight.
The turbulence in the wake of the vehicle is the key area so your right about the smaller car with more background.
Another area I'm currently working on is air scoop. This might mean a redesign there also.
Thanks Gus.
Chris
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Thanks Gus,
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Chris,
I was once a passenger in an F truck in light rain so I had the opportunity to see what the air was doing over the bonnet at 100km/h. The short answer was Absolutely Nothing. The water droplets did not move. I suspect the blunt nose was just smashing its way through the air and the bonnet was a dead zone. There was no boundary layer and certainly no laminar flow. I would suspect any hood scoop would have trouble finding any positive pressure so I think as close to the nose as possible might work best or maybe even through the grille.

Maybe use the old tufts of wool and a Go Pro when you are there.

Or you could do this:
http://spacenews.com/xcors-trunnel-is-b ... es-to-ula/

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
momec3

Post by momec3 »

I had the same thoughts David. I have shifted it to almost the furthest forward point. Midway last time did not work. Rules preclude us using the grille.
Chris
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Wondering thoughts,,,could the air that comes thru the grille be channeled up thru the bonnet from the engine compartment (louvers ?), would this fill the low pressure area in front of the windscreen to help airflow ?
The Effie could probably try something similar Chris ?
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Short answer no in our case. Would not be space believe it or not.
Chris
Gus

Dyno Day

Post by Gus »

Well we had a day on the dyno the other day and it was mostly good and we learnt some things. We got a solid 500+hp for over a couple thousand rpm of the rev range, which should see us pulling through the gears ok. I think with the 6 speed tremec gearbox we have, we should be able to hit 150 MPH in 4th gear. Whether the car can do that is another question of traction, drag and a million other things.

So the not so good stuff we learnt, we experienced oil starvation after 30 seconds of an extended constant 5000rpm 500hp load run (pipes started to get hot). So All our oil was trapped elsewhere in the motor and not getting back to the sump in time. Something you would never see on a typical dyno pull.

So we left the dyno with a nicely tuned motor that wouldn't be able to run hard enough for long enough with out killing its self. So after a bit of head scratching we came up with a few low budget band aids. We made the sump bigger and we now almost twice the volume of oil in the pan, we installed some external oil drain lines into the heads. We also decided to install an exhaust crankcase evacuation system to try and get the blowby air inside the engine under a bit more control. We currently have .060" oil restrictors installed in the lifter feeds and we may possibly go down to .040" if we are still having trouble.

Anyway still a million things to do and not much time left so the team is still pushing on hard. Work is about to get in the way again for 2 of the team members dropping us back to one guy (me) on the build for the next 2 weeks and whatever mates I can find to help.
20170113_124301.jpg
20170113_124301.jpg (136.63 KiB) Viewed 44482 times
20170116_101302.jpg
20170116_101302.jpg (188.85 KiB) Viewed 44482 times
20170116_101310.jpg
20170116_101310.jpg (185.63 KiB) Viewed 44482 times
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Still running the breathers from the rocker covers or from the valley ?
Any windage control ?