theTRUTH

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Stayt`ie

Re: theTRUTH

Post by Stayt`ie »

Width may be a problem with a belt,, wouldn't worry to much about low speed handleing, make it adjustable (fast/slow), you will soon develop a feel for it :)

Its going to need a fair bit of ballest to get 500+ horses to the salt :wink:

Interesting build 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

This thread has woken my wow gene,,,I like weird creations :oops:
But,,,,isn't there a rule governing the use of non bike engines, in bikes ? (excluding T/O. and Grandfather clauses ?)
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Russell,
SFI is an American standards approval mob, much loved by SCTA and DLRA. DLRA cars are supposed to run an SFI-approved scatter shield between engine and gearbox to contain exploding clutches and flywheels to protect the driver's legs. You could have one over the engine's flywheel (with ring gear for the starter) to protect your left shoulder and arm and another one around the second flywheel and the clutch to protect everything else.

I think there is a rule about bikes having to run a bike engine. If that stops the project dead, you could always build a trike like Dion from Mildura Ice Works and still run the feet forward riding position. It uses a V8 with an automatic transmission and a normal diff, so it would be an easier build.

Speaking of trikes I was talking to Dion this year and he expressed the wish that a class be created for trikes, normal like his or reverse, i.e. two front wheels like the Can Am Spyder. I can't see why we shouldn't. Does anyone have any valid objections?

Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Stayt'ie,

Yeah, true, but depending on how much stuff I can loose from the front of the engine the power side might be my narrow side; so, in other words, plenty of room for a belt.

Belts don't rust too ... Ha!

Yeah, the ballast will help traction and the center of gravity.

Cheers
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

gennyshovel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:00 am This thread has woken my wow gene,,,I like weird creations :oops:
But,,,,isn't there a rule governing the use of non bike engines, in bikes ? (excluding T/O. and Grandfather clauses ?)
Tiny
I know it hard to believe but I like weird stuff as well Tiny ......

Very interesting build Russell

As far as M/C Engines all the Engine Classes except this one ..... Page 216

7.J.12 Class 3001cc +:

Any reciprocating engine which uses the Otto cycle may run in Streamliner category only. Supercharged engines do not advance class size.

Pete :D
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Tiny, hi Pete

Cool, same.

Yes, there WAS a rule ... I was recently successful in changing rule 7.J.12 Class 3001cc +

Now we can run any reciprocating engine that uses the Otto cycle in A and A PS classes as well as Streamliner.

Pretty happy about that.

Cheers
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Thanks David, just checked out the scattershield stuff.

Was "Strong Clutch" a turn of phrase or a brand name? The reason I ask is you can get a "Strange" diff ...

Googling Strong Clutch doesn't throw any useful links.

Cheers
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Nicks Performance Clutches (NPC) in Brisbane will build whatever style of clutch you need. Just a good street clutch should handle the bike weight. Won't need to spend a motsa on anything to special.
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Russell,
Strong clutch was just a turn of phrase, not a brand name. Chris is right, any standard clutch would work on such a light vehicle. Well done getting that rule changed, it frees us up to do unusual things. Should be more of it.

Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
BONES

Post by BONES »

Russell
"Bones, can't run a Hayabusa, then I'd be in your class and we couldn't be friends."

Its ok I am going to 1650 class after Bonneville this year. So we can still be friends.

What ever you use for a clutch/flywheel or torque converter will need to be able to carry huge side loads.
An outrigger support bearing will be necessary on at least the primary drive. A torque converter which will lock up
sounds good but they are not designed to take side loads.

Why not make some sort of mock up with some old engine sitting on a basic set of chassis rails. Engine in the correct place and you
sitting in your racing position and see how it is?

Remember Russell --- use a bussa and it WILL go fast :D

cheers Bones
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:15 pm
Remember Russell --- use a bussa and it WILL go fast :D

effing Bussa's, :lol: :roll: :wink:
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Dave, cool, things are getting a little clearer ... I should have been talking about the clutch, flywheel and jackshaft all at the same time. The more I think about it the more I tend towards a simple manual clutch in the middle of all that. Thanks re the rule change, I totally agree ... just comparing a turbo LS1 vs the twin Rocket 3's of the Triumph Rocket Streamliner you get about the same overall horsepower for I guess a 10th of the price; which means it's accessible for people like me ... with ideas like mine (stolen liberally from history!).

Bones, Yeah, I'll try and get a quick sketch model done of the drive system later today. It should demonstrate the principles you are talking about above.

Stayt'ie, hahahahah, you'd think he had some to sell aye ... 1650? Maybe he does?

Bones, you're not going harley are you?

Cheers
harky

Post by harky »

when is your birthday ronnie
if want to be green. , i ll get you an H2 -----R ,
that will get the heart rate up
the H2 - r was next to us this year , it really is a thing up close .

russell a trick cyclinder head and cams for a busa is nearly your crate engine .
bones is right IT WILL GO FAST .

remember it's ONLY money
just that we'll all need more to feed our habit
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

"Bugger" Steve, I've had me b'day this year, but you can give me one next year, lol,,

Bones on a Harley, "I'd like to see that", lol,,

Russell don't listen to them mate, a set of shortie headers on the LS will sound "Horn" at WOT, much better than one of them Bussa thingo's, LOL,,
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Guys,

Harky, "a trick cylinder head and cams for a busa is nearly your crate engine." ... that does stretch the term "nearly" quite a bit. I'd guess around 100hp less and twice the price ...

Bones, is that close?

This is the LS:https://www.holmart.com.au/genuine-hold ... m-v8-crate

with 360hp at the crank for $6995.

An H2R would set me back 60k if I could get one ... Ha! (Would rip it apart in a heartbeat!)

Stay'ie, yes, the sound will be brilliant.

Totally agree a busa is fast, even really fast https://youtu.be/UTFTDbc3F6Q ... or really really really fast http://top1ackattack.com/ ... but I need a "gutsy v8" https://youtu.be/r3ykeRFsDnk

Cheers