theTRUTH

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

russelllowe

Re: theTRUTH

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Everyone,

I actually intended this video to be a short walk around but it blew out like the directors cut of dances with the wolves! Anyway, grab some popcorn and settle in: https://youtu.be/ZFyArpL4G-8 ... all opinions and comments warmly received.

And thanks again Harky for the advice!

Here is the angular contact ball bearing I think I'll use for a thrust bearing ... https://medias.schaeffler.com/medias/en ... zTvESVaOu4 ... it's the next size up from the two I have that will be supporting the clutch (and allowing it to rotate freely) when it's disengaged. The spline is 29.5mm in diameter, so this one will sit around that nicely. Its also sealed, so might last the whole week out there on the salt!

Cheers, and happy new year!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Happy New Year everyone!

Not long now, we can safely say we're going racing this year!

I'm hoping to get some recommendations regarding a machinist (I'm not looking for a free ride, just someone who is prepared to do small jobs). Located in the Newcastle area would be ideal, but Sydney is fine too; I'll need to drop around some of the components so they can measure them up properly ...

This is what I need done: the sprocket and clutch carrier and maybe the spacers too (although I'm confident I can do those if the machinist doesnt have time). The carrier is the L shaped element to the left that's riding on the two angular contact ball bearings. For interest only: the third angular contact bearing from the left is the one that I think completes the force loop to contain all the axial forces from clutch disengagement within the shaft itself. Let me know if you think thats right.

And a spacer to go from the LS3 crank to the front drive sprocket:

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi All,

I'm still hunting for a machinist to turn up the parts i need to complete the bike ... any suggestions/recommendations are still greatly appreciated!

Here are the parts, drawn up a little neater ...

Front sprocket carrier:

and the clutch carrier:

And now for some updates ... the Alternator is mounted, I could have run a total loss system I guess, but I think this will be worth the effort.

Here is some progress on the scattershield ... 6mm steel, will encase the flexplate and ring gear at the front and go right to the back of the frame to cover the Clutch and its mini flywheel. Keep in mind the flexplate is just carrying the ring gear so isn't under any load. Both act as chain guards as well.

And ... an overall one from that side showing the re-purposed chain guard from last year and you can kind of see the electronic throttle pulled by a regular motorcycle throttle at the front left. I pulled the drive by wire throttle apart to remove the stiff springs but ended up only removing one of the two that were in there. Could have not bothered, because the throttle is quite light now ... it snaps closed well, but you can twist it with two fingers. Kind of funny really, how delicate the throttle is for such a monster.

I just picked up some aluminium tube and silicon elbows to make up the heat exchanger and a tonne more parts from Rocket Industries for the fuel system, intake and the heat exchanger (radiator in a bucket) ... so apart from the two critical bits needing to be made above, I feel like I've got a fighting chance.

We'll see!

(I should also say I straightened the lower triple tree, was bent last year! And have ditched the idea of running a fairing ... I just cant afford the day or so it will take to make the brackets for it, especially with everything else to do ... so I'm back to the less glamorous sounding AG-5000+ class)

Cheers!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi All,

Turns out the alternator (GM still calls the generators) wiring is a little perplexing ... the GM stand alone engine harness only has one wire, in a 4 pin plug, and I have a standard commodore alternator with a two pin plug ... so, any guesses as to which pin to connect the wire to, if any?

My best guess is the "L" wire and leave the FR pin disconnected ... the pinout table on the GM stand alone ECU says the Generator wire is on circuit 225, position 7 and is called "Generator Pos B".

I've gone all over the internet and still can't figure it out.

The same setup in the states is on the Pontiac G8, which is the Monaro I guess ...

Anyone know their electricals?

Cheers
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi All,

Some really good news, I found an engineer/machinist yesterday and took my parts and drawings out to him to go over it and he agreed to make them for me ... he said I should call him in a week or so ... definitely done in two.

At 11am today I received an email from him saying it was done and ready to pick up. #### brilliant!

The soonest I can get there is on Friday morning so all I can say is its going to be hard to sleep between now and then. Absolutely fizzing ... this thing might actually get done!

And to top it off my OBD2 bluetooth adapter thing showed up today too.

Here's a pic:

The bit on the left plugs into the OBD2 port and the screenshot on the right is from my Android phone showing a set of dials I configured to have coolant temp in Celsius, Speed in MPH and the RPM.

I've tried it on my daily driver and it worked exactly as advertised. There are a few more things I can set up ... but this is the free version of the app so I'll splash out the $5 to get the "pro" version which hopefully has oil pressure and some other useful things.

This'll be my dashboard. A bit cheaper and way easier to set up than some of the other options I was considering ...

I should also say that the tech support guy at JEGs, who I bought the stand alone wiring harness from, said he thought I should connect the generator wire to the L pin too; but gave me the phone number of GM parts support to confirm with them. I'll give that a go in the next few days.

Cheers!
RGV

Post by RGV »

Hey Russell, good news on the machining and the speedo might need to read a bit higher?

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hey Dave, yeah thanks! And yeah, hopefully the pro version lets you set that as you wish ... and even more hopefully, the bike decides to play ball!

Cheers!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hey again Dave,

The pro version of the Torque app lets me configure all the minimum and maximum values for each dial ...

Shouldn't run over this one!

I haven't explored the graphs yet (rather than dials), but that info might be useful at the salt, so I will next time.

Cheers
Assen

Post by Assen »

All quiet Russ.... I am assuming you are buried under as the clock ticks closer to launch date.
It will be good to see the bike in whatever state its in.
AA licenced
1st open bike in the world over 260mph - both ways
Red hats = DLRA, SCTA, BUB
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hey Richard! I know, thanks for the push!

Been more hectic than usual ... but it's happening, really happening.

I think I've finished the frame. Stripped everything down for painting, never thought that would get done, but had some time before i could get the rest of the fuel components, so I thought I may as well.

Things still left to do? Electronics and Fuel ... kind of important ... but I think I have everything I need now. My goal is to have it running next week.

This is roughly where I'm up to, starting with the intake side ... (I've got "trays" for the electronics finished on both sides of the surge tank since this pic)

and the drive side ...

My 100mm x M11 (yes that's right, M11) bolts have arrived, been cut down and are holding the front sprocket and spacer in place.

Just remembered, still need to sort the hydraulic clutch too; 14mm Suzuki master cylinder to the QuarterMaster throwout which expects a 19mm car master cylinder. From what I can tell the 14mm master cylinder I have should make it easier to pull (hand because my hand isn't as strong as my foot) but it might not move enough fluid to disengage the clutch completely ... which isn't ideal.

That's a 2001 GSXR750 exhaust muffler I repurposed for the surge tank if anyone was wondering.

Got some DM's helping with the alternator wiring issue too, thanks for those!

Cheers!
Assen

Post by Assen »

Wow, great progress and looks definitely within reach to hit the salt March 3rd
Firing it up for the first time will be nerve wracking I'm sure.
Im in the same boat with wiring on my beast - new loom to be completed, full motec system set up then dyno etc etc.
Let me know if you want to share pit area - we may have some spare shade this year
AA licenced
1st open bike in the world over 260mph - both ways
Red hats = DLRA, SCTA, BUB
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hey Richard,

Thanks! I'm determined to get it done ... first start up will have my heart in my throat I'm sure!

My one advantage re the wiring is that it's all standard stuff, so no reason to misbehave, but the proof will definitely be in the pudding.

Sharing pit area would be brilliant, I'll come find you when I get there to see if it'll fit!

Cheers!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Hey Richard, im planning on being on the salt Thursday lunchtime/arvo, Kim and I have spoken about reserveing a "long" front row seat for "the family" :D
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
harky

Post by harky »

you can call it the
Russell & Richard. long bike pit area
if you wait long enough i might join 😂
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Stayt`ie