theTRUTH

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Assen

Re: theTRUTH

Post by Assen »

Thanks Ronnie, that would be great. We're planning to arrive Sat arvo - hopefully not too late in the day and will make space for Russel as well
Looking forward to catching up again with everyone :D :D :D
AA licenced
1st open bike in the world over 260mph - both ways
Red hats = DLRA, SCTA, BUB
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Good stuff guys! I'm aiming to be there by Sunday avo ... driving the whole way by myself this year, so might have to take a few more breaks than usual.

Gonna be a great year!

Cheers
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Guys!

Big day today! ... first start up ... short video on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/ROPC84lk3UA

Still have plenty to do: finish the new adjustable jack-shaft plates, get the hydraulic clutch working, and wire the kill switch up properly! But this is a pretty big milestone.

Had to happen, glad it did ...

Cheers!
harky

Post by harky »

👍👍👍👍👍😱😱😱😱😱🥳🥳🥳🥳🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
seeyasoon
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Good stuff.
Chris
RGV

Post by RGV »

:D :D Great Russell. Nearly there.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Thanks Guys! Not long now!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

There is nothing that compares to a successful "first startup", nothing, nothing at all, not even sex :D :D
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

I would have combined the two, but not sure it would have been so pleasant to watch ...
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Have you switched it off yet?
Chris
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Ha! Funny you should say that Chris, I can kill it no worries now ... I had a 50/50 chance of getting my two red kill switch wires around the right way and you can guess which way I had it in the video ...

(I was rushing and soldered the feed after the kill switch rather than before it ... same coloured wires didn't help!)

But now I've got you ... my starter button is intermittent ... i thought maybe it had some salt corrosion in it from last year, but i pulled it apart last night and, according to my multi meter, it functions perfectly; reliable every time. But when its connected in the circuit it can work the first time you press it and not after that ... I exposed some wire in the circuit after the handlebar mounted switch and if i touch that straight to positive the starter motor goes every time ... i havent yet tested the voltage to see if the switch drops it significantly, but that was my next idea ... before tossing the switch in the bin ... buying some contact cleaner is my only idea for a fix. Any ideas?

I should finish the jack shaft setup today, be nice to get that motor connected to the rear wheel!

Cheers!
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Switches and relays hate the salt. I coat all my electrical connections with bulk dielectric grease for that reason and have a spare everything. It helps keep it out.
Chris
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi All,

I thought a nice little post match debrief would be in order ...

It was good to get answers to all of the unanswered questions I had before I left.

Q1. Would I get it finished?
A1. Yes! Monday afternoon in the back of the truck ... Scrutineering went smoothly, it went through on the first go. I think this build thread probably helped, no surprises ... except actually getting there. Chief motorcycle inspector Graham said, "I hoped you wouldn't make it" which I took to mean, "congratulations you made it!" I'm pretty sure there was a smile there.

At the startline:

Q2. Would it start?
A2. Yes! The starter motor had enough grunt to overcome any drag the clutch put on it so I could start it with both wheels on the salt. handy, because taking off would have been pretty scary otherwise.

Q3. Taking off? How many people would have to push it to get it going?
A3. None! A few more revs than at idle and away she went with #### all fuss. I'm not sure if anyone was more surprised than I was. The gearing was good for 210ish ... it's an incredible motor that can pull one gear from zero to that ...

Here's a video ... it's really not exciting ... which is why its so good! https://youtu.be/SM7sjv7FjB0

Q4. Could I ride it back to the pits after a run? Loading it into the truck every time was gonna be a real pain ...
A4. Yes! See this video: https://youtu.be/cHAN4IK180E I'm idling along doing about 60kph, maybe a bit more. It got to 97 degrees by the time I got back to the pits ... so the GSF650 radiator in 32 litres of water was enough to keep it cool.

Q5. Could I ride it to the startline?
A5. Yes! It was surprisingly easy to start and ride. I rode it to the start line for my second and third runs.

Q6. Was it fast?
A6. Faster than me. I ran in the APS class but the streamlining was the unused instrument panel behind the top triple tree. It was really tough to hang on to above 140mph ... I set the new unlimited record at a little over 142mph ... but think I was going a bit faster because I was backing off after the 2 1/4 and cruising through the 3. On Friday morning, after Greg Watters suggested I tech screw my clipons to the fork legs (they had come loose one run cos I was pulling on them so hard) I held on for all I was worth right to the 3 ... and went a bit faster.

Yup, 180 #### 1 miles per hour! Now that was unexpected ... Half throttle, trying to hold it open just enough so I wouldn't be blown off the thing.

She has plenty more.

Q7. Best week ever?
A7. YES! And not because of the speed either, but because of all the people who helped me get there and got me running. Steve "The Bearded Biker" and Paulie "Posh Irish git who flew in this year" were fantastic. Richard, Shane, Steve, Steve 3, Bones, Rodney, Greg, Kim, Ronny, Harkey, Graham are all top shelf individuals and all helped at critical times ... and when they weren't helping directly it was incredibly calming to know they were there and keeping an eye on things. A HUGE thanks to them and everyone else that wished me well throughout the week.

Q8. Errors, cockups, damage?
A8. Yes. But surprisingly few ... the whole thing could have been a disaster, I really couldn't tell beforehand. The left clipon rotating about 15 degrees at 140mph was probably the worst. The tank needs holding down at the front (we spooged in some silicon which wasn't a bad idea, Steve 3, but it stayed soft in the middle and oozed out on the next run ... so I used a motorcycle tiedown and that sorted it). I pulled the clutch and jackshaft apart today, expecting some rust ... and found this:

It's all soaking in white vinegar at the moment, another land speed racing mate suggested that last year. Works well. Will have to, every exposed steel surface looks very second hand.

Q9. Whats next?
A9. This is the list I made on my phone after driving 1,700km ... so its a little delirious ... but roughly right:

[ ]Nosecone (Greg Watters style)
[ ]Padock stand (lift off rear of frame)
[ ]Outrigger bearing support (off front sprocket) and front sprocket shaft re design so it takes the load off the main bearing
[x]Results post on build thread
[ ]Tidy wiring
[ ]Mount gsxr1000 radiator and fan
[ ]Bead all water tubes
[ ]Seat with bum stop
[ ]Electronic clutch (linear actuator, the Harky solution)
[ ]Fairing for front bottom of rear tire (to stop salt from flicking up from the front tire)
[ ]Mounting brackets for front mudguard (to cover in the sides, keep carbon top, gift from Richard)
[ ]Convince Walter to try one of his electric hub motors on my front wheel (2 wheel drive, hybrid)

Got one ticked off already! Good start.

Thanks again everyone, I sincerely appreciate every big or little thing you've done to help.

Cheers!
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Cheers!