theTRUTH

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Hoofhearted

Re: theTRUTH

Post by Hoofhearted »

I'm no expert either. I built my LSR sidecar mostly out of bits I had laying around. I cut down forks from a 650 Kawi. Head angle is 45deg. It isn't anywhere near as fast as you are planning to go No suspension. I found it unnecessary. Image
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Very cool!

The steering stem is certainly low enough there Hoofhearted! Would love to see some more closeup pics of the lower parts on the forks; looks like you are just using the fork tube itself (not the slider) and have fabbed up some lugs for the bottom to mount the axle, is tgat right?

Would love to see more detail on the steering linkage setup too. My plan was to do my steering under my legs like that ... how does it feel? Did you get used to it pretty quickly?

Cheers
Last edited by russelllowe on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Also just noticed that pic is at Bonneville. Are you going this year?

And I agree re suspension ... I ran a rigid rear for the first time this year and while I was a bit nervous about it before racing it turned out to be totally fine, no drama at all. I figured it would be worth trying no suspension on the front too ... so, good to hear your experience.

Cheers
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

Yeah. I just used the fork tubes (shortened). I took a piece of 1/2" flat stock and cut two lugs for the axle mount. I simply cut a couple of slots in the fork tube and welded them in. I also cut 4" out of the stem. I originally had the bars as a T coming up between my legs but the guys in tech said if I went upside down my legs would be trapped. So under the legs it went. It takes a bit of getting used to. At first it feels very strange. But the sidecar goes so straight I don't even think about it now. It went better than I dreamed it would. It currently holds two 500 records at El Mirage and four 500 and one 650 record at Bonneville. If I can get it all back together I'll be at Bonneville again this year. Here's a shot of the steering linkage. Image
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hi Russell
The bussa IS the force that should propel a fast land speed bike :-)
I think you are right about the rod end. The load is vertical and there will be enough steering lock.
Not too much rake. Mine is 30* These bikes with 45* I recon are wrong. They are probable stable but you still may need to steer it.
There is a picture in the Foale book with him riding a BMW with NO rake but 100mm? trail with NO hands. Trail is what makes stability.
cheers Bones
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

Mine'a at 45*. Goes straight as an arrow. So straight you have to make an effort to get it to turn. If you let go of the bars when turning it will straighten itself.
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Guys!

Big day today, my LS3 arrived!

They recon it has 425hp; only one way to find out!

Cheers
harky

Post by harky »

you need traction control -------- and BIG STABILITY WHEELS
be rude to call them trainer wheels
mine will have retracting wheels ------ that's a better term

Ps --------- hold on tight
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Harky,

Yes, probably right for both. I'll start with the latter though.

Bones, I wondered how zero rake and some trail could happen ... and then there was this ... from Tony Foale:

Brilliant!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

And one like the BuddFab design: also from Tony Foale

Interesting comment about the increase in camber angle as the wheel turns, aiding quick turn in ... doesn't sound ideal.

Cheers
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Cam change and headers, an easy 460hp. Buy far the best bang for your HP buck. Still a big lump for a bike. Timing chain upgrade if you do the cam otherwise don't touch it.
Chris
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hoofhearted, thanks for the pics ... I may end up going in the same direction; still working my way through Tony Foale's book.

Chris, yes these things love making power ... will be good to get it a bit smaller ... shifting the clutch behind the motor will help; and makes it look like more of a bike engine too!

More awkward will be shifting the water pump and alternator out of the way ... but where there is a will there is a way aye.

I didn't weigh the flywheel/clutch assembly, but will tonight. Seemed pretty heavy though; so will be good to get closer to the center-line of the bike. And out of the breeze.

Cheers!
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

No sure what parts availability is like for the LS but for my Holden I'm using a remote electric water pump to save width. A plate with a hose fitting fits where the old pump used to go and shortens things up quite a bit. The parts are all Davies Craig and I'd be shocked if they didn't do a kit for LS motors.
As for the alternator I've though about running it off the primary chain, effectively serving as the tensioner although I'm not entirely sure of this idea yet.
It may also be possible to run it off the jackshaft before the clutch.
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Walkingpace ... just took a look, very cool; and yes, they do a kit for the LS:

and the pump itself (this is a 150, which one did you go with ... price and size wise they seem pretty similar to me):

Like your ideas re the alternator too.

Cheers
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Hoofhearted wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:38 am I'm no expert either. I built my LSR sidecar mostly out of bits I had laying around. I cut down forks from a 650 Kawi. Head angle is 45deg. It isn't anywhere near as fast as you are planning to go No suspension. I found it unnecessary. Image
Nice pic
Looks like Douglas Robinson , in impound asking you why you have a rounded tyre on a spoked wheel on the back, and a square edged car wheel and tyre on the front. And wheels on the starter motor, that's a nice touch

Anyhow. I did like Richard Assens' front end, where he could adjust the caster with two allen screws
Be insteresting to see how it goes with the fairing on
G
They make it
I make it work