theTRUTH

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

russelllowe

Re: theTRUTH

Post by russelllowe »

Hi All,

Another update ...

Got all of the new frame tubes in place and almost entirely welded up, looking strong I think ... had to avoid running that front diagonal straight into the junction with the bottom tubes because I already had the top tube welded in and there was no way I could get it into position. I may add a gusset around that intersection to help tie everything more together, but I don't think it really needs it; but maybe a flitch plate running along the bottom would be sensible ...

And here's a video taking a walk around where I was at, at the beginning of the weekend; https://youtu.be/mwxE3DXpmhQ

The star of the show is definitely my new fuel system which turned up on Friday. I'm told it'll support 1700hp in boosted applications ... so I have some room to move in the future.

In the video I ask for opinions regarding two fuel filters; one before and one after the fuel pump. Keen to get your opinions.

Plenty to do, but ... isn't there always ...

Cheers!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

my understanding is that most pumps have a prefilter installed in their inlet,, I run a filter after the pump to catch debris in the event of a pump failure,,
if your running Methanol, use a stainless filter,, I had a media filter in there this year and the Methanol stripped some media out which ended up messing with the injectors :evil:
lookin good mate 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Thanks Stayt'ie, just found this:

The top diagram is most like my setup ... It shows a filter before and after the pump ... funny how we have to protect against our system itself; belts and braces I suppose ... I wouldn't want another fueling "mishap" like 2017 ...

Cheers
RGV

Post by RGV »

Looking good Russell.

Only 430 HP. :lol: FFS this is going to be insane.

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Dave, thanks, definitely getting there!

I had a good weekend ... got the frame mods all welded up and the fuel cell done. The fuel cell was going to be behind the motor but I took another look at the one I made for the APSG1000 bike i ran in 2017, and used this year in between the frame rails of the long version of theTRUTHlite (GSXR750 motor), and thought I may as well give it a third go! A couple of little cutouts to clear the new frame rails and she went straight in.

Capacity was an obvious consideration ...

Be good to run something by all of you re fuel usage ... this website http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... cat165.htm says to estimate how big your fuel tank/pump you should be work on 2.64hp per litre per hour, so that's 163lph to supply 430hp.

In other words they say I'll be using 2.71lpm while making 430hp.

My plan is to run on the long course to 3 miles and turn off after that. This depends on accelerating, with my single gear, up to 200mph before the 2 mile mark. So at 200mph (if 430hp will make me go that fast!) I'll travel 3.33 miles in 1 minute and use 2.71 litres of fuel.

With some fussing about on the line, and budgeting conservatively by using the full power rate of fuel use, I'm guessing 2 minutes in total ... and therefore less than 6 litres of fuel will be required.

About double that for 1,000hp.

My fuel cell is just under 13 litres.

Sound about right?

and an elevation ...

The GSXR1000 fairing is just sitting on there, but it looks so at home it's probably going to stay ... which means I'l be running APSG5000+

Cheers!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Cuppla questions, what c" is the motor, at what rpm do you see peak hp " ??

Also, you plan to Turbocharge in the future ?, and do you think that you might go to Methanol ?

Mate, forget 3mile, build for 6, there is no way that when that thing is up and powering you will be backing out at half course :wink: :D
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

Fairing looks good.
How are those bench stakes attached to the wall (behind rear wheel in photo)? Bloody big nails? Forks?
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Stayt'ie, cubic inches: 376 i think, 6.2 litres. Peak power is at about 6500rpm. Yes, a really big turbo is in it's future; aiming for 1,000hp. I think it was Sam Wheeler who said it was a drag race, thats my motivation for getting up to speed quickly. He did it with gears, my approach is torque and a good riding position so I can get on it quickly. Not sure about fuel, will probably need another pump if I go to Methanol ... not sure i need exotic fuels to reach my power goal.

Hi Boyracer, thanks ... big nails.

Cheers!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Another update and another question ...

This time it's about the water tank. I've got about 32ltrs ... in comparison, Speed Demon (which makes about 2,500hp) uses a 50ltr tank, which they also put chilled water in to start with. I think someone mentioned the Terra-Plane also runs a 50ltr tank.

So I'm thinking 32ltrs may be a little light. So I'm thinking about running a supplementary radiator ... the one from the GSXR1000 is cable tied into position below. The rear of the fuel tank is sitting a bit high because I haven't made a pocket for the AN-12 fuel outlet to sit into, but will do that next:

The size of the outlets on the GSXR1000 radiator are also cause for concern ... they are within 2mm diameter of the outlets from the LS3 heads, but there are two of them ... anyone got an opinion regarding restricting the water flow like that? I'm using an electric water pump from Craig Davies; their biggest one I think.

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can buy a very small car radiator from?

Cheers
harky

Post by harky »

ebay is you friend
look @ morris mini
datsun 1000 /1200
all alloy —- not a lot of $s
the mini has 25/27 mm pipe sizes like your bike radiator

scared myself with the time we have till —- take off
( the old shaky bike not the FF ) for 2019
keep working
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
harky

Post by harky »

ps
what pressure will you run in that system ?
harky
DLRA #643
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Harky,

EBay is everyone's friend!

I did a bit more research and found that Craig Davies offer an adaptor that converts the inlet and outlets to AN-16 ... https://daviescraig.com.au/product/allo ... elbow-1024.

AN-16 has an internal diameter of 7/8th of an inch or just over 22mm; which is less than the inlets and outlets of the GSXR1000 radiator ...

This says to me that I shouldn't worry about any restriction coming from the radiator itself. So because I have it, it's in good nick and being curved fits around the front wheel and obviously inside the fairing well, I'll just go ahead with it.

Pressure? I guess it will be limited by the radiator cap on the GSXR1000 radiator ... I'll check what that is next time I'm near it (I see cars are normally about 15psi). I know the shape isn't ideal for pressure resistance, being square, ... but at what temperature does pressure become a significant factor? Is it only when approaching 100 degrees? I see waters vapor pressure is 14.7 PSI at 100 degrees Celsius (there's a sentence mixing units without remorse!) but I don't know if that's what is going on inside a radiator. Wikipedia led me to a calculation webpage which seems to confirm it: https://web.archive.org/web/20080213135 ... etails.htm

I might weld on a fitting so I can pump it up to 15PSI to see how it copes ...

Cheers!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

And P.S. I'm also shitting myself re how much time is left before take off ...
harky

Post by harky »

yep , my question was because of the tank shape , 15 psi test would be essential —- testing
stating the obvious
1 lb pressure raises the boiling point 5deg c ( i think —- it was 1st year apprentice machanics theory 1968 —- i was listening some of the time )
so we are looking for a high boing point with with 15+ psi , but your shape and size may require some rib strengthening to cope with that sort of pressure
not being tooooo funny ,but any big leak ( between you legs ) and we are dealing with super heated water when released from that pressure ———- blanched armonds come to mind
harky
DLRA #643
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hi Russell
How about a heat exchanger inside the water tank. Then the tank will not need to hold pressure.
Did you end up moving? I'll visit soon.

Bones

PS . Use the Bussa Russell. :D