Page 13 of 13

Re: theTRUTH

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:49 pm
by russelllowe
Hi Guys,

Well, the Harky solution was a success! M10 x 1.5 holes at each end ... I got 20mm in at the clutch end and about 15mm in on the output sprocket end.

Drilling it turned out to be the easy part. Had the Colchester on 30rpm (which looks like its hardly moving by the way) and used a 8.5mm cobalt bit (so .1mm oversize for the bolt), loads of lubricant and moderate pressure. I think I chipped the corner off the bit when it first grabbed. But I could get reasonable ribbons off it as it went.

Tapping it was nerve wracking though. Actually, it's fair to say I was shitting my pants the whole way; I thought the tap would snap off at every turn and I'd slice my wrist open in the process. Once I was in about 5mm it was a quarter to a half a turn at a time before backing it out, cleaning all the chips off and going back in for another go. My taps were from a set I got from Hare and Forbes and don't even cut mild steel without a fight. Lucky I had three tapers though, I really had to work into it. The most tapered one did the most work ... and looked a bit ropey at the end. A few small teeth at the tapered end lost their tips.

I didn't so much give up at the 20mm and 15mm marks, I told myself over and over not to push my luck ... a broken tap in there would have been a real fucker to get out.

Anyway, here's a picture:

Image

Looks harmless doesn't it!

Anyway, those holes and $230 of angular contact bearings and I'm pretty sure I have a solution that has a fighting chance of working.

Now, if only the guy who I paid $3600 for my ignition and fuel pump for a while ago would return my calls ... anyone live near Bendigo?

Cheers!

Re: theTRUTH

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:56 pm
by russelllowe
Oh, and ...

Image

Re: theTRUTH

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:45 pm
by harky
DRINK ,!
😍

Re: theTRUTH

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:12 am
by momec3
Well done.

Re: theTRUTH

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:32 pm
by russelllowe
Hi Guys,

Been a bit quiet but haven't totally being sitting on my hands ... finally bit the bullet and bought some RHS for the bolt together Jig parts I bought a few years ago. Wish I'd done it much earlier actually, it's brilliant how straight and square this stuff is. Also go a bit smart and had the steel supplier cut it all to length, and deliver it (all things I planned on doing myself, but to be honest ... never again, they make it so easy).

The RHS is 75 x 50 x 3mm with the Jig parts from ChopSource (I may even put one of their stickers on the Jig, very cool stuff ... I have their rotisserie parts too, but for now the bike lift seemed like the better option).

Also got the tube for the frame itself. It's 1 1/4" (31.8mm) with 2.6mm wall DOM ... 4 x 6m lengths. And one length of 1 5/8" (41.3mm) for the fork legs. That has a 3.6mm wall; so will have to turn it down a bit to get it into the triple trees. Only 0.3mm though so no drama there.

Here it is, with the first tubes bent for going around the motor:

Image

There is another one the same U shape (out of shot) that goes 300mm above this one and is connected by 16 short verticals. So that's what I'll be doing this week!

After that it's connecting the Suzuki headstock you can see in the background and job done! Hahahaha ... yeah, not quite, but it's still plan A so that has to be a good sign ...

Cheers!

(P.S. the outside of those tubes is 750mm wide which is the widest point on the bike ... wider than I'd hoped but symmetrical so hopefully it'll go straight)