Rookie 500mg build

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Deni dave

Rookie 500mg build

Post by Deni dave »

So my plans are to build my dirt bike into a salt machine, so be prepared for some obvious to some questions... my aim is to run it a couple of years in dirt bike form then drop the motor into something purpose built to see what happens. I have been using search tool to answer some things but still need a few answers such as is there a preferred tyre that "works" better than others . Will add pics when at a computer and not on the ph in a tractor... bike is a 1984 yz490L
redyammy

Re: Rookie 500mg build

Post by redyammy »

when you decide what class you are in you will need to check record for that class and must have tyres speed rated for the class record,500 probably around 125 MPH
Knobblies won't make the grade.
most people run appropriate road tyres or racing tyres
Deni dave

Post by Deni dave »

Yeah I was wondering if a certain tread road tyre works better or what have people found through experience. Thanks
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Hello there Deni dave .......Welcome to the House of Fun ..........

What model/year is your Dirt Bike?

Download the Rule Book and read it several times .....

After you've done that any things that you need to clarify about the Rules contact our Chief Motorcycle Inspector (details here) http://www.dlra.org.au/contacts.htm

Have fun

Pete :)
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hi Denni dave
Do what Pete says--- read the rule book and again
Tread pattern on the tires doesn't matter.
What you will need is the correct speed rated tire for the class.
A 'V' rated tire would be acceptable. The tire must be rated for the record not how fast you will go, if you are slower than the record

Look up 'Sodium Distortion' This is what is possible with a CR500

cheers Bones
Deni dave

Post by Deni dave »

Thanks guys, bike is a 1984 yz490L. I have been pestering graham a bit already. Thanks for the tyre comments, I just thought a certain might work better than others. Basically the long term plan is to attend as a spectator one year which I did this year, compete this year and get the hang of how it all works next year and then start some real development of the bike the following year. I want to see just how far a fat guy can go on a dirt squirter.
Deni dave

Post by Deni dave »

Been reading the hard copy rule book over and over whilst waiting for engine parts to show up.

The jigsaw is slowly coming together
BONES

Post by BONES »

Dave
While you are waiting for the engine parts to turn up there is a ton of work to be done on the chassis. :D

cheers Bones
Deni dave

Post by Deni dave »

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:56 am Dave
While you are waiting for the engine parts to turn up there is a ton of work to be done on the chassis. :D

cheers Bones
ha ha, not this year there isn't... I want at least one year with looking like an MX bike, big fat un aerodynamic and with my fat arse on it. However after it has run like that it wont be in this chassis anymore :wink: