FEET FORWARD AG1350

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

harky

Re: FEET FORWARD AG1350

Post by harky »

yep that the airfield I have in mind
they do hot rod brake and swerve testing there , I am still a long way from getting “ movement “
the bike will need a 1 mile paddock to turn around , so i still have to make things like a dolly wheel ( with casters ) that i can easily manoeuvre it about —————— then it doesn’t fit into the “ deluxe” trailer i made , so that has to be 1.5 metres longer
( the bike is 4 metres long. THE FUN DOES NT STOP
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Yup, we would all like somewhere to test our machines, but, not having that luxerie only makes us more vigulent in the shed :D
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Your right Stayt'ie, It makes us overthink and lose sleep over every bloody detail. A couple of test blasts would save a lot of pain.
Chris
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Wouldn't want it to get "normal" though would we?

Not wanting to suggest another project, but ... set of rollers?

I like how these ones link the front roller to the front one at the rear.

I wonder if there are any cyclists out there that can attest to how similar riding on one of these compares to riding on the road?

Cheers!
harky

Post by harky »

I ride a ( pedal ) bike regularly , i have recumbent bikes ( that i pedal ) and those double rollers to train on , i found it requires a lot of balance concentration, road bikes with different steering geometry are harder than a mountain bike .

I have a bike dyno , that i could add another drive system to simulate riding my ( 4 metre ) bike , and that is not too hard to do;

Going to the lake having not tested or run our creations ( a part from maybe dyno ing it ) is something to be avoided, but sometimes we don’t have much choice
Given how much straight bits of road we have , you think between our group we could find a bit to use ——- this subject has been raised many times.
harky
DLRA #643
harky

Post by harky »

not much happening in the build forum , some slow progress on the long bike
engine assembly and fitting done , Gen 2 crank ,rods , barrels mixed with gen 1 head crank cases, in theory it should see 200 RWHP , enough to scare me 😳, Fuel ,cooling have been done to the point of being ready for final assembly ( after painting and plating) at this time my focus is wiring , the EFI ( motec, and Plex dash ) are a test of patience and attention to accuracy.
I have a good range of crimping tools for the efi connectors and sensors , Deutscher sealed connectors are the best way to go
I have a marine fuse and relay box ( water and SALT proof ) using a PDM ( electronic power distribution model ) would be the real good way to go , but it’s serous $$$sss , and outside my budget .
Exhausts will be four straight out pipes ( most likely with megaphones ) so that’s a bit different to any busa
gear shift ,( cable ) and shift cut module in place . , front and rear wheel speed sensors fitted
battery isolation/ ( acts as key ) and lanyard kill switch —— they are between my legs in front of the steering pivot, —- done

https://postimg.cc/gallery/kbPczsF

this link is to lots of random photos. some not that interesting, but roll with it
harky
DLRA #643
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

unless you have experienced it, you "cannot" imagine the wind pressure on your helmet at 200mph, 180-90 is just a breeze, at 200 it's trying to tear ya head (and leathers) off :twisted:
Two suggestions Steve, maybe extend your backrest up so it supports your helmet,, with sit on bikes, by crouching forward one can align/point their spine into the wind, thus supporting the neck muscles,, sitting prone as you would be, you will be relying on neck strength only, mate, ya wont be able to stand the pressure for the time to get up to speed, let alone another four miles (approx. two minutes),,
Second suggestion, given the above problem, there is "no way" you will be able to moniter your gauges, get them up into the line of sight (at 200mph), especially your oil light and tacko,, at 200+ you will not be able to move your head (helmet), minium eye movement only (straight ahead) :)
Lookin good mate, do you plan to run next event (fingers crossed 2021) :?:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
harky

Post by harky »

Cheers Ronni. i plan on a helmet rest , a plus from the way i am sitting , i may have shoulder stability as well. i have done 175 naked , the loads at that were high , exponential load is a useful term
i think the loads on my upper arms may be an issue.
my “ Plex 120 pro ” dash is gear indicator, shift light , warning lights but mostly data logging. The m84 motec i use only logs 16 things , which seems enough, but very quickly isn’t enough. so i can “suck” up to 60 things from the motec —-it’s great it just needs me to grasp the logging thing better
i am progressing well with the wiring, and yep running 2021 is the plan , mind you @ 4 metres it doesn’t fit into the trailer i made , there is another job , aren’t angle grinders a great tool , specially with the 1 mm cut off wheel 😳😳😷😷😷😬😬😬👍👍
harky
DLRA #643
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Great pics Harky!

Have you considered a wee wind deflector to take the pressure off your chest/shoulders or uplift on your helmet (wind getting under the chin might be what Ronni is referring to).

Cheers!
harky

Post by harky »

Ah. you are still out there , strange times for everyone
i will have a helmet cradle / rest , i am one of the few who uses a Leatt neck brace , so in theory my head should be well supported, air pressure on my upper arms and therefore my grip is an unknown, my forearms sit very close to my thighs / hips and sitting in the workshop feels very comfortable. The plan is for this to start as AG , and then go to APS G. and in the longer term APS F ( F being Nos —- which as this stage i know very little about )
Like your bike , a steady speed progression will be the sensible approach
wiring is progressing, i mounted the batteries ( i am using 2 std busa size batteries’) today so some electric activity is close , and then some laptop time —- this engine and sensors are different to my old busa , so some new sensor calibrations and configurations are needed . i am recording a lot more stuff , oil temp , fuel temp , front and rear wheel speeds , 2 lamda sensors ( the motec can have a second turned on ) and i can swap sensors after runs to compare the other 2 cylinders, i have a gear cut to setup that will be interesting to do flat shifts . so me and the laptop have to learn to be friends, sometimes it isn’t the case .
harky
DLRA #643
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Ha! Yeah, been a bit quiet alright ... big changes at work, might free up some time in the near future if things work out.

Yeah, the 181mph on my beastie was at half throttle, any more than that and it felt like I was gonna blow off the thing. No bum rest and footpegs too far forward to really use my legs meant it was all about hanging on through the bars ... So the short answer to wind pressure issues is dont go faster than it feels safe to go; fairing will change things entirely.

Hey, two wiring questions for ya ... where do you get your deutch connectors from, and do you have some depinning tools you use to swap out standard connectors?

(Will post some new stuff to my thread soon, Ronnie sent me a present ages ago that I've been meaning to share)

Cheers
harky

Post by harky »

Russel, a few emails sent to you
i’ll try putting this page up

it’s from HP ACADEMY ( the NZ on line efi site ) good site ( or group —- if ya pay )

The first links are electronic parts Superstore. It can get pretty tricky to find items on these sites, But with a huge databases of over a million items, there's a good chance they'll have what you're looking for. It's a scavenger hunt at times on their site if you don't know the supplier of the item you're looking for.

Digikey.com

Digikey quick links -

DTM/ATM connectors

DT\AT connectors

DTP\ATP connectors

M22759/16 Milspec Wire

Newark.com

Mouser.com

rs-components.com

Ladd Inc. Product finder

Market specific suppliers:

Milspecwiring.com - Super impressive site full of nearly everything you need! if you can name it, it's probably here.

Motorsportconnectors.com - A division of Rywire for connectors and tooling.

Efihardware.com - Australian based site filled with a nice list of items for your wiring needs

Ballenger Motorsports - I've found ballenger a great resource for some oem connectors that are hard to find.

Prowireusa.com - An Incredible resource for automotive wiring and accessories

Wirecare.com - Wire sleeving, heatshrink, certain connectors, and cable organization items

Wiremasters - If you have a moq of 100ft, give them a try. you'll thank me on the savings :)

Diyautotune.com - While primarily known for Megasquirt engine management systems, they offer a lot of sensors and electronic components.

Moates.net - Chipping, programming, flashing, and emulation hardware can be found here for various platforms.

8STA connector information - For figuring out which milspec connector you're needing if looking for one

Corsa-Technic.com - Stumbled upon this site. Great for sourcing miscellaneous plugs. Most notable is their long list of ecu plugs and receptacles at competitive pricing.

Cycleterminal.com Lots of OEM honda and motorcycle connectors here.

Chasebays has an organized list of connectors by pin counts.

Some personal tooling
Last edited by harky on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
harky
DLRA #643
harky

Post by harky »

https://www.hpacademy.com
this is their site
very good forum , and again if you pay , some serious / well designed , training courses
they do lots of interviews and uploads on Instagram as well , faceache too ,
harky
DLRA #643
harky

Post by harky »

Ronnie/ Russell ( the 2 Rs ) i am taking on board what you are saying , this picture may help show how i am sitting , it is also to help me position the head rest, my Leatt gets tangled in the seat , i like the idea of using the Leatt ( and it was a gift from my wife ) so i will re make a seat ( this one is a carbon fibre one from a road recumbent i made —— aka ya pedal it
any air deflection in front of me would be considered non A class compatible, unless you have any other ideas ? .

my front guard ( yet to be made ) will give some deflection, but still has to be compliant for A class

harky
DLRA #643
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Bloody hell Harky, that's a lot of wires and no lights !
Do you buy Panadol in bulk or just lots of alcohol :lol:
keep at it, the weather is shite so is something to do.
cheers Johno