New? F/G Roadster....

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Grumpy32

New? F/G Roadster....

Post by Grumpy32 »

Gday...

I have a project that I would like to share with anyone interested. A bit about me, I have been around hot rodding since my earliest memories, I started a mechanical apprenticeship at the start of 1978 with G.M.H. (in time for the first Commodore, remember them).... still learning stuff now... :D .
I have drag raced a 30 roadster, ran 10.1 @ 132 :) , back in the late 80s early 90s, that was a blast but I have always had a dream of dry lake racing.
Life happens so fast forward to now, I am now semi retired after discharging from the R.A.A.F. and having a bunch of stuff tucked away, I now have a chassis started (up to stating cage work), a 30A (I just like that model) glass body, a QC rear with disc brakes (rear is mounted solid), Chrome molly straight tube front axle (4 link, watts link), centre pinion rack/pinion steer (old open wheeler rack).
Engine wise is my old SBC 355 with Enderle alcohol injection, 13.5:1 comp, roller cam, old fuelies, (its my engine from the drag racing days, just could not get rid of it once we stopped racing) although I have plans for a smaller destroked version SBC, and the last big bit is a clutched TH400 trans.
So, I get enjoyment from building and driving hot rods but the biggest enjoyment is racing, drags or lakes (my opinion anyway).
I plan on attending the 2018 event and with all going well have the roadster on the salt for 2019 :)

Sorry no pics here yet, but once I get a handle on uploading I will put some up.... :roll:

Kind regards,

Glenn.
DLRA
Site Admin

Re: New? F/G Roadster....

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Glen, have you downloaded a DLRA rulebook yet?
I would strongly recommend it as it will give you the sizes of the tube for your chassis.
There's also some good info on the web site as to what things are required and inspected for cars
See http://www.dlra.org.au/vehicle-inspection.htm

So far as posting photos we don't host photos on the site (cost) but there are plenty of free ones around.

Good luck with the build and come and say hi at the registration van.

Greg
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Grumpy32

Post by Grumpy32 »

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply, l have a copy of the rule book, large print 😀, and have a fairly good grasp on construction req's.
I have also read through Bob Ellis's list which is great.
Looking forward to 2018, I have sent a membership request off but have not had a teply as yet (xmas 😐), anyway if I can do some volunteering I am available.
Cheers
Glenn.
Merry Christmas
Grumpy32

Post by Grumpy32 »

Here is my roadster, had to take a pic out front of my place and compare it to my sedan....