Shaguar

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rob

No. I've got to go back to Brissie Friday night as I've got things on with the kids on Saturday. I won't get out to Gaz's farm at all this time. I should be back down in the next month or so.

Lynchy
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Swap meet... did you say swap meet! where?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gary,

It's only a small one, Regency Ramblers clubhouse. The only way I can tell you to get there is to go through Luddenham, turn right at the round about and it's a couple of miles down on your right.

It's the next street east after the Helacious Club (can't remember the right name for that club either :)

There's also a bigger one at Rylestone but it's BLOODY cold up there. I would go there but have to deliver a flathead at the one nearest you. Will be there with the missus and young bloke but not at too early o'clock...

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
penny

flathead delivery

Post by penny »

how many flatheads left now rob, and how many left between you and terry. all the best see you and terry next "april " paul
Rob

Post by Rob »

No idea Paul,

20 or 30 I guess. This was his already that I took to get hardened seats fitted last year. He's still car-less so I'm taking it back for him.

Gary,

The swap's at the old Herbetus (Spelling??) club on Elizabeth Drive, it was also a scout hall after that if it helps locate it.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

G'day Rob,

The Regency Ramblers Clubhouse is the old "Hubertus Club", situated at the corner of Badgerys Creek Road and Elizabeth Drive, Badgerys Creek.

Cheers,

Pete
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Gaz

10 minutes away!

Lynchy
Lynchy

Re: Shaguar

Post by Lynchy »

There will be more coming soon....

Gaz bought some safety gear while we were in the US after we met up with Joe and Dee from DJ Safety. We had a tour of their workshops and Gaz made "Big Ben's" day. He also picked up a bunch of AN fittings from Summit in Sparks/Reno. We got to crawl all over a lot of cars while scrutineering at Bville and picked up a few ideas. The quality of the cars over there was much the same as ours, some good some bad, just a lot more of them. The main thing we picked up on is ballast. We've allowed space in the sills for around 250 kilos of lead but we probably need to add more. But there's not many places to put it... What would a NASCAR racer do? Fill the frame with lead shot... hmm

I'll post more photo's as Gaz takes them.

Lynchy
Dreamliner 200

Post by Dreamliner 200 »

Hey Lynchy, I hear you had to carry a bag of Gaz's stuff through the airport, must have been interesting at customs!

How do you get 40ft of stainless tube on a plane :roll:

:lol: :lol:
DLRA Member 752
Livin' the dream!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Well, technically I didn't. Gary had to take his own baggage through customs and he had the tube in his bag. I was wondering how to explain the 100 assorted AN fittings?

I did get stopped by one of the Beagles though. It liked the smell of my backpack...and the customs officer wanted to open up a box I had in there with a book in it.... autographed copy of the Edelbrock book.
momec

Post by momec »

Lynch
You mentioned "the main thing you picked up on is ballast", please expand, you obviously mean they are running much more than us on average l presume?
Did you quiz anyone for numbers.
I'ts one thing l did notice at Gairdner this year was a general increase in ballast and also some of the dodgey mounting etc.
Its gotta be mounted right.

Chris
Acme Racing #251
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

There was a million things to see and a million questions to ask of the million people that were there. Well, you know what I mean. I tried to get to the "man in the know" for the sedan/coupes type vehicles that the Shaguar was similar to so I could get an idea on ballast. One particularly interesting vehicle was a Studebaker (Paul will remember which one) that had 1. a roof flap and 2. a 'lot' of ballast. The car weighed in at 5,800lbs, so around 2,600 kgs. He said that most sedans are running around 4,400lbs to 5,800lbs so this gives you some idea. What is critical, and I mean critical, is where it goes. Roadsters do have a lot of problems over there because they run so fast. 250 to 300 mph plus with your head in the wind!!! One of the tech inspectors I spoke to was Jeff Bryant whose little brother Barry was killed last year in a roll over. Understandably he is very passionate about the SCTA mandating that Centre of Pressure and Centre of Gravity details be included in the Rule Book. At least that way they could build a database of what works and what doesn't. I know things are 1,000% more competetive over there than here but if it comes to making cars safer then at least newbies will be aware of some basic parameters. He also believes that wings create some problems. If the vehicle database includes body style and speed then why not include CP and CG, ballast and whether it has a wing and number of spin outs. Then we could start making some assumptions. When we talk about spins over here it is usually with a laugh. It is no laughing matter over there as it usually ends in disaster, so the need to understand and minimise them is paramount. I will definately be in touch with Jeff and his work to date when it comes time to finalise the ballast in the Shaguar.
BIG GAZ
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

The Stude belonged to Hooley. One of his crew is Sumner or Sum. A few people on here will know him. I know that Bones and Rev H have met up with him at some stage.

Yes, lots of ballast. Sometimes up to 800 kilos of it and not necessarily up front where you would think (bearing in mind CG over CP). I remember one owner saying 60% over the rear but more than likely in conjunction with large rear spill plates and a spoiler. They all build heavy and I saw quite a few belly pans made from thick steel plate.
momec

Post by momec »

800kgs. Even 400kg would take a lot of planning in the early part of a build. You can't just add 800kg to a sedan type vehicle and have 1 somewhere to put it and 2 get it in the right spot.
I've sort of come to the 60% on the rear idea after last time l ran with traction issues.
We are rank ametuers with lots to learn.
Thanks Gaz and Paul

Chris
Acme Racing #251
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

BIG GAZ wrote:. When we talk about spins over here it is usually with a laugh. It is no laughing matter over there as it usually ends in disaster, so the need to understand and minimise them is paramount. I will definately be in touch with Jeff and his work to date when it comes time to finalise the ballast in the Shaguar.
BIG GAZ
One thing I noticed was that the long course was a lot closer to the pits. On one occasion during the week a roadster span off the long course and ended up missing a camper by about a metre, that was parked at the edge of the pits.
I also noted that any incidents brought the vehicle concerned and it's log book back to the pits for another inspection
And you also got a sticker
The yellow was for a re inspection
The bottom one was if you had a bike that went over 200 you had to bring it back to tech to get the rear tyre signed off
The Red was if you stuffed up, by driving your race car in the pits or not wearing the fire suit you had inspected. Get one of these and your vehicle was going in the trailer and your meeting was over.
So safety was on there minds
G
They make it
I make it work