Shaguar

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

BIG GAZ

Re: Shaguar

Post by BIG GAZ »

Graham,
Can you send me a PM so I can have your email address? This and a dozen other things need to be talked about at the meeting on 10th Oct in Melb. I have copies of the car stickers but not the bike stickers. We will discuss at the meeting and see which ones we will adopt.
GAZ
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

I noticed that their pits and spectators were much closer than what we run over here. Have they ever had a car on course spin out and collide with a spectator vehicle?
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

See Grumm' post on previous page. I was concerned that the pits were very close. Whilst Paul and I were riding shotgun with Lee Kennedy going to an incident at 130 MPH we quizzed him about the distance. We actually stopped, backed up and measured the distance from the pits to the long course track and it was only .3 of a mile at the 5 mile mark if I remember correctly. This is something that will be on the agenda for the next meeting.
BIG GAZ
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I've read in the past about spin outs going near or into the pits. The pits are parallel to the course though which seems to be a mistake. You'd think they would angle the pits to the course and have the pits further from the course at the fast end? They do restrict access beyond the 5th mile but cars are already at full speed at the 3rd mile.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've seen video where the camera operator asks someone else "Is he coming this way" and the car stopped maybe ten feet from the camera man.

Scary stuff.
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Rob wrote:I've seen video where the camera operator asks someone else "Is he coming this way" and the car stopped maybe ten feet from the camera man.

Scary stuff.
Wasn't that coddington's missus?
ROSS BROWN

Re: spin

Post by ROSS BROWN »

jo Coddington spin
here's the link to it .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO2mxdzIkF0
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
penny

Post by penny »

we the members here need a progress report on the build up of the jag gary .
glengowrie annexe of the Institute of Backyard Studies
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

The build is going well. After our trip to Bonneville and the decided adoption of the 2010 SCTA Rule Book there were a couple of things I needed to do. Lateral head restraint was the biggest structural issue. The rules require a support within 2in. of the helmet side to side and should extend at least as far forward as the front of the helmet. I welded two 6in. pieces of roll cage tube onto either side of the back of the seat onto the main hoop. I then used two 180 deg exhaust bends to mount the SFI 45.2 foam. It looks good, is strong and doesn't inhibit entry or egress, lucky I am skinny.
The next issue was the full door net. This was a bit more tricky. In order for it to be strong in one direction but collapse easily and quickly I did some fabrication and used a couple of 3/8 drive universals. I am getting a custom made window net here or from my very good friends at DJ Safety in Calif. It is not a requirement for it to be SFI approved but it most probably will be.
I also spent a lot of time trying on the 5 point DJ camlock harness I bought. I already had one but the new one tightens the lap belts by pulling inwards, not outwards. Because it is very restricted and the seat is very high on either side of my puny pelvis I needed to re-position the lap mounting points. The shoulder straps are 2in. wide where they go over the Hans restraint so getting the postion of those correct with a helmet on was bloody hard. I need to open up the hole in the back of the seat so the belts sit the required 2in. to 4in. below the level of the shoulders and no more than 3in. apart. So far it looks as close to a text book installation as I could have hoped for.
As far as next year, I can only try my best but working 1.5 days out of every week end does put pressure on the missus and the 4 x kids. I think to them it is never going to end, being as though it has taken 4 or so years so far. I do get frustrated and overwhelmed with the whole thing at times but what pulls me through is the satisfaction of finding a solution that is not a compromise. The trouble with that is it takes a lot of thinking and not much doing which some people can't understand. My problem, besides the OCD, is that I won't start something unless I know exactly what the end result should be. Unfortunately that extends the build time somewhat. Thanks for asking anyway Paul.
Lynchy will post some pics of what I have done so far when he gets time.
BIG GAZ
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Here we go

Gaz sent over this photo of the head restraints:

Getting in and out is OK for Gaz as he is built like a whippet. I've had a few goes and I usually end up rolling out of the car onto the ground (not that the ground is very far down....). The steering wheel is standard Jag and is adjustable for reach. Gary picked up a quick release for it while we were in the US so that may make it a little easier still.

Here's a front view:

You can make out the parachute release hanging down off the cage as well as the steering wheel to shifter gap. The trans tunnel has been modified a lot and is like a bolt on to the roll cage. The tailshaft sits up a lot higher now and is within a steel structure (that includes the tailshaft loops) within the tunnel. It also doubles as an armrest. There's also a "Larry Bar" to go into the front of the cage once the inetrior is finished. The side intrusion bars aren't welded in yet either - to make it easier to get in and out.

Lynchy
momec

Post by momec »

Those head restraints look bloody good. Mind if l steel that idea on the F Truck? Been wondering about that rule myself.
Keep at it Gaz.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

'steel' it. Good one Chris, I didn't see the pun at first. Go ahead, make my day. Remember that I welded 8 inch long pieces of roll cage tube on first and then slid the slightly larger exhaust tube over the top. Mandrel bent exhaust tube in 180 deg will only have one long leg so you have to weld on another piece for the other end to extend it. Mine are two inch. The driver side also doubles as the mount for the window net rail at the top of the door. I will post some more pics of the net and harness mounts when I have finished them.
BIG GAZ
Rob

Post by Rob »

Looking good Gary,

Are you making them (side restraints) removable for ease of entry and if so, how are you going to secure them?

I've been pondering the full door net or sheeting the side and lower portions of the cage "X" and running a half net from there up.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I was toying with the idea of having the drivers side head restraint spring loaded so it automatically slides back when I pull the window net but then I slapped myself real hard and told myself to wake up. Otherwise I would never finish this thing. I don't touch the restraint when getting in or out anyway.
Remember the rule states that the driver needs to be retained within the roll cage structure even with panel (door) separation. There was an incident at Bonneville where the driver's leg was broken by the bar holding the steering column/brake cylinders. His leg then got thrown out of the vehicle at a right angle (because it was broken) through a small gap at the bottom of the door aperture. The SCTA tech's actually got into the car of one of the complaining drivers and showed what could happen. 'Completely within the roll structure' means just that.
GAZ
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I've got some more photo's from Gaz that he sent over the weekend. He's been working on the roof flap that we wrote up a while ago. When we were at Bonneville we spent some time with Hooley and his 53 Studebaker because he uses a roof flap. We got to check out how he installed it and his ideas as to how effective it is. He has spun out at speed and the flap did deploy and open completely so he feels happy with using it.

This is the mini sunroof as Gaz has named it.

and here it is in place. When you see the size of it opened it seems large. The theory is that it disrupts the airflow over the car to prevent it taking off. The roof rails are there for the same reason.

Gary is going to do a write up after I've posted these so can elaborate on how it went and what he's got left to do.

Lynchy