Shaguar

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Rob

Re: Shaguar

Post by Rob »

Another sms from Gaz this arvo.

"Jack has just been moved from the ICU to a ward bed. He will stay in the ward for a few days until he moves to the Brain injury Clinic which is right next door. He is responding well, his voice is slowly coming back and he is asking questions. We are spoon feeding him puree'd fruit and he has all the catheters out. he has moments where he appears almost lucid but tires very quickly and has a sleep. Overall great but slow progress. I will keep you updated. No visitors yet please."

Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Another sms from Gaz.

Jack has moved to the Brain Injury Clinic in the building next door to the hospital. The physios assisted him walking about 5 mtrs which was tiring for him which wasn't bad after 2 weeks on his back. he has his own room here but it is very confronting for the uninitiated. We will settle in here over the weekend and let you know how he progresses then. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. They have worked a miracle. Gary and Wendy

Rob
JonB

Post by JonB »

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Rob, really feeling for the family.

BIRU is pretty confronting but the people there are pretty dedicated.

jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Rob

Post by Rob »

The latest on Jack from Gaz.

"Jack has been in the BIU for nearly a week now. He is progressing very well according to those who know. He is walking with assistance, feeding himself pureed meals and juices, adjusting the TV and his bed and made a mobile phone call. We are very hopeful for an overall good outcome it will just take time. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Gary and Wendy."

Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

Latest from Gaz

"Jack is doing very well. He is walking, talking, texting, laughing and joking. His friends & family have been a huge support as well as all of your well wishes. He is allowed to come home daily this weekend but it will be a quiet one. He will still stay in the BIU for some time to come but everything is going extremely well. Thank you for all again for your prayers. They have worked a miracle. Gary and Wendy."
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Hi all,
Thanks for all your well wishes over the last couple of months. Going to the Melbourne meeting in May was a struggle for me but the concern that everyone showed was very heartfelt and appreciated very much. Thank you. Jack has been out of BIU for a few weeks now but isn't at work and waiting for his assessment at the end of August to see if he gets the sign off for work and his drivers license again. I am pretty hopeful so we will see how that goes.
I haven't done much on the Jag. In the spin the bonnet got intimate with the throttle shaft in the injection hat which bent the three throttles blades. Wayne Newby whipped up a new set, they went on today and I fired her up again after a few months. All good. What is the usual procedure for methanol fuelled cars as far as lubrication and storage between meets. I was going to drain the fuel and run it on some petrol to lube everything up but when I tested some gas and some fuel in a cup it didn't mix well. I thought I might run it on some E85. Any ideas?
I am progressing on the bus (transporter) as well so things are busy!
The rule book is finished and nearly ready to upload.
Paul is working on the wireless gear and I will get his contacts to look at the database capabilities as well.
Trevor is forging ahead with the comms for next year- send in you $100 donation to Carol asap.
Colin Clare has got the TryBooking website well underway.
Greg Wapling is also doing lots behind the scenes as well.
Everyone is full of enthusiasm and the club is moving along in leaps and bounds.
"The times they are a changing"
GAZ
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

BIG GAZ wrote: What is the usual procedure for methanol fuelled cars as far as lubrication and storage between meets. I was going to drain the fuel and run it on some petrol to lube everything up but when I tested some gas and some fuel in a cup it didn't mix well. I thought I might run it on some E85. Any ideas?
GAZ
Gaz, I stole an idea from the Jr Dragster USA forum a few yrs back,,
Drain the methanol well (float bowls too) add a few litres of WD40 to the tank , prime, and hit the starter. It'll run like a hairy goat, but not only will all the methanol be purged from the system, but everything will get a good drink of WD40, the residue will stop any "white death" from happening.
I usually flush the tank and carb a second time, and refill with fresh WD40, then forget it 'till next time.
It's still a pain in the freckle, but not as much as replacing corroded and unusable fuel system components.

Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I will probably need a few litres with two big pumps, -10 lines and 12 injectors. I still have a worry because when it runs like a hairy goat the risk of backfire is increased and I dont like it when it 'goes off'. I might warm it up first on the fuel and do a quick dump and swap over.
Thanks for the info.
GAZ
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gaz,

I'm pretty sure the boats used to run some 2 stroke after draining the fuel system.
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

My biggest concern is running an oil micsible fuel through a system that is water soluble- if that makes sense. If you mix petrol (oil based) and methanol (water miscible) it goes milky and 'lumpy' and looks like it would clog a fine fuel injection system filter. I may be wrong but I want to be sure. Simple carbies are different to my injection system that I dont want to make a mistake on. I dont need the expense/hassle of removing and cleaning a dozen brand new injectors.
GAZ
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Gaz the few times i played with methanol so far it has always been a case of drain everything ,including pumps on till they cavitate then flush through with petrol, then start
you end up with a lot of mower fuel left over but at least the system has a complete fuel change with no methanol residue , same when changing back, get as much petrol out as possible before flushing with methanol, then fill

don't want little jelly balls in the fuel tank ,
Rob

Post by Rob »

Tried to make a call but no answer, will ring for a definitive answer tonight Gaz.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Good to see you back in the shed Gaz,
I find its bloody good therapy.

I know S.F.A about methanol but I've heard "the moment you get back from the race track........" :D :D

Chris.
Chris
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Gaz, good to hear that ya young fellas doin well, :D ,,

As for Methanol, been messing with the stuff since the seventies, both in supercharged and turbocharged motorcycles, and now in my current, n/a, efi, LSR bike,,, my prevenative maintence programe is very strict,, drain every bit of the alcohol out (plumb in drain points if you have too),, then purge the complete system with a petrol oil (2stroke) mix,, with the blown bike, so it didnt "bang the blower" i ran it up on a set of rollers to pump the mix thru (no ignition),, then run it up again into a bucket to make sure all was/is out,, with your car, couldnt you remove the plug leads and run it up on the starter, :?: ,, also, before you purg, put a set of stuffed plugs in,,,
have never, touch wood, never had a problem due to alcohol contamination,, 8) ,,
would suggest that given the time your car has sat, dismantle and check "all" of the fuel system,,

with the engine oil, have always used Methanol compatiable oils, at present, Fuchs/Titan Formula60 (mineral oil), luv the stuff,, always drain after each meet, and put the new stuff in before i do the purg thing,, therefore getting nice fresh oil distributed thru the motor and eliminating any water,puddleing, tied marks, corrision on vital engine parts,,

btw, i leave the petrol/oil mix in the system until we go racing again, :D ,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

The Shaguar is a goer after replacing three injectors and cleaning the other nine. New throttle cable and throttle blades and it sounds really tough. Filters all clean, rockers adjusted, new rack bushes, rear end tightened up etc etc. did some panel beating, and I mean that literally, and it looks good enough. The bus is the priority at the moment with still a fair bit of work to do. Rob has offered to give me a hand and Paul will be down on Monday ready for us to leave on the Wednesday morning.
We are looking forward to a great, we'll organised event. As you all might know the old timing system which we were going to use on the short track has been destroyed in a bush fire along with Kim kerbs bike and damage to Greg watters bike. Spare a thought for those guys as they have put a lot of effort into the club over the years.
See you all on the salt.
GAZ