Shaguar

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

I went down the same path, and got to decide wither to run Vp 14+ sunoco race or methanol
The decision came down to wanting to run in Gas class's as methanol is classed as FUEL with that in mine i decided if i was to run Fuel class is may as well have a bit of POP in the tank, :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I am not sure how it will affect my class. The DLRA rule book says BMS-Blown Modified Sport, is a gas only class whereas there is a fuel class of BMS in the USA. If I can't fit in BMS then I don't think I qualify for Comp Coupe or Altered either so I don't know what to do. If we follow the US rule book I can't see why we don't have the option. I am not asking for a special class for a multi-engined, five wheeled, steam powered vehicle!
Who should I contact to get a ruling?
Anyway, the weekend was fruitful. As Big Paul has informed you, I have got the rear 300mm discs and alloy hats organised. I hard tacked the cage and clip in last night for the last time (hopefully) and I must say it looks f@^&-ing great! The tunnel and front tailshaft loop is next. I also knocked out a couple of dents with a hammer and dolly and surprised myself with the results. Once the cage goes in access is limited to the backside of the panels.
Big Paul will post some pics soon.
BOB ELLIS

Gazz's class problem

Post by BOB ELLIS »

True only Gas in /BMS (even in my SCTA book)Why wont you fit Altered coupe , or Gas coupe? Am not up with how your cars built , so cant really help too much , at worst case i can't see why not try for ?F/BMS.(Dont forget about your saftey gear , SFI3.2A/20 suit etc)and the fire system rule is changing too. Cheers , Bob , #66 C/GCC
Dr Goggles

Re: Gazz's class problem

Post by Dr Goggles »

BOB ELLIS wrote:True only Gas in /BMS (even in my SCTA book)Why wont you fit Altered coupe , or Gas coupe? Am not up with how your cars built , so cant really help too much , at worst case i can't see why not try for ?F/BMS.(Dont forget about your saftey gear , SFI3.2A/20 suit etc)and the fire system rule is changing too. Cheers , Bob , #66 C/GCC

...............I take it that is set in concrete :lol: :lol:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec

Post by momec »

Your bloody hilarius goggles 8)
Acme Racing #251
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I would really like to know about the fire system rule changes at this point. Any hints?
On the SCTA site, Categories are listed as below:

MODIFIED SPORTS - /BFMS, /FMS, /BGMS, /GMS

This class is intended for production sports cars as accepted for GT class which have been modified to such an extent as to make the vehicle illegal for the Production Category. This class is limited to production, a minimum of 500 vehicles of the same model for sale to the general public, sports cars, examples of which include Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 911, Mazda RX7, and Nissan Z series automobiles.

So why does our rule book only allow Gas in BMS?
I see Modified Sport as a sub Category of Modified not a class of Modified.
My car is chopped 3 inches so that puts it out of Alt and Comp is for modified Prod cars which specifically excludes Sports. So I don't where to turn next. Can I put in a proposal to the club to consider a Fuel class in BMS, same as in the SCTA? I need to make the fuel decision pretty soon as there are a couple (million) changes I need to make.
BIG GAZ
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

GAZ , I don't see anything wrong with running Fuel class , but i'm on the scrute team (only focused on safety) , so long as it gets past me , class don't matter . Its up to the car owner to prove class. Fire systems....new rules say to have two seperate systems , one at driver ,, one at engine..By2008 meet it is mandatory (so if you can do now ,, running lines , mount bottles ,etc better for you) Did not know about chop , so am sorry about mentioning other classes. Any queries , get my No from newsletter & use the mobile No. Cheers Bob , #66 C/GCC.
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Bob, thanks for the info and your offer of help. I don't mind having to prove class but if there is no class in our rulebook it is a bit difficult. I am setting up the car with 4 x 3.5kg bottles, two for the driver compartment and two for the engine bay. I may put in a valve to switch one of the engine bay bottles to the boot if necessary. Rod's episode this year made me think long and hard about every safety aspect, fire being paramount.
While I am here what thickness lexan should I be using for the screens, considering that the front is a bit curved so it needs to be a bit flexible?
Any ideas?
GAZ
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

GAZ , Lexan Windscreen - 1/8"(3mm), bends not to badly , will disform on two way curve.Try a couple of struts on inside of screen(3/4x3/4 Alum angle works well) , can be curved slightly.screen straps directly over with two small bolts sandwiching lexan between the two .This will hold shape at speed. Cheers Bob , #66 C/GCC.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Some more progress...

The whole cage has been finish welded and the tailshaft tunnel has been fabricated with an integral tailshaft loop at the front. The tunnel is now visiting the sheet metal fabricator to be sheeted with stainless. It will be in 3 pieces (2 side pieces and a removable top) and will be screwed together.

The diff is still at the fabricator waiting to get done - we are hoping this will be back this week as a lot now hinges on mocking it up. Once the diff is back, the four link can be connected, the wheels plugged in and the tailshaft length measured. Then the tubs could be put in and everything else sheeted up. The fuel tank is installed as well as the battery.

A thousand things to be done and the clock's ticking.

Lynchy
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Oh....

And if anyone can let us know if Fuel is OK for the BMS class we are still unsure????
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Can you believe that the car won't be coming this year and Gary's now talking twin turbo V12 following a few years after the cars debut with blown Cleveland.....
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

And now he's gone and bought another couple of V12 XJSs for their motors (not because he was running low on rust).

The car will still be running the blown Cleveland next year but it's looking more serious that the car will eventually end up with a Jag motor and some hairdryers....
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

With this years Speed Week cancellation it looks like you guys are timing it to perfection!

Keep those updates coming.
DLRA Member#412
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Not much more to add at this point. I've got some photos of the 2 new piles of rust that Gaz bought for the V12's but not much else. If anyone is after Jag rear ends for any projects I know where some can be found...

Yes, it would unfortunately seem that timing the car to be ready for 2008 was best but we would rather have had an event.

Gaz was telling me he hooked up a can of petrol to the fuel pump of one of the cars and did a bit of circle work before parking it. The petrol tank in that car was rusted out and I'm not sure that it had a floor.... Brings to mind some of the earlier posts from Giggles about Jags and rust.

I'll be heading down to Big Gaz's Jag Ranch sometime soon to take some snaps and find out the build schedule for the next year. It will happen!

Here's some photo's: