What's the status of the blown v8?
Jay S Jay

Re: Shaguar

Post by Jay S Jay »

Any pics of the engine conversions?
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I have a number of pics but i will need the help of my IT Department (Paul Lynch) to upload them. The V12 is now chocked into the correct position with the dry sump only a minimal distance from the cross member. I forgot to get a pic of the sump before i put it in but will do so next time it comes out. The engine is about 60mm forward of the stock V12 position but the gearbox shifter had to come back about 60mm as well. It is a long engine.
I have bought some -10 (20mm ID) fuel rails and got the measurements organised so once i get the injectors they can be fabricated.
I am looking to modify the standard Jaguar intake manifolds to expand the plenum area and have two drive by wire throttle bodies facing forward instead of sideways.
I have bought an Emtron V12 EFI management system to run fuel and ignition.
I am working on the 5 gallon dry sump oil tank, Clearview remote filter and Savy Motorsport 4 stage pump at the moment so will send some pics soon.
Gaz
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Yeah - it's been a loooong time between updates but we are committed to restarting the build page with the work underway by Big Gaz for next Speed Week. I'm also going to see about getting all the old photos that were on Photobucket back up on the pages.

Stay tuned - should be an update this weekend
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I picked up a 6" Clearview remote filter head along with K&N 5001 filter. This is a monster with 1 1/2 inch hole in the filter and -12 in and out. It also has an air valve where you can clear the oil back into the sump and view the 115 micron stainless gauze filter to check for any debris. All without opening anything.
After drilling out the spot welds for the RHS headlight bucket I can mount it securely with good access.
I will send pics soon.
GAZ
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Pics will be loaded soon - got some issues with hosting them - will be fixed shortly
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Lynchy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:40 pm Pics will be loaded soon - got some issues with hosting them - will be fixed shortly
Hey Lynchy

I use https://postimages.org/

Pete :)
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Thanks Pete - too late, sorted out the issue.

So - updates. Gaz is back at work on the Jag preparing it for next year's event (2022). He found a V12 that had already been built but still required work to the heads. I think that took three years to finally get done by the bloke selling the motor? Gaz can elaborate on that episode. He managed to jump in the car as soon as Covid restrictions were lifted and got down to Geelong to collect it.

He also got another Melbourne based company to build a dry sump setup for the motor. He hasn't got photos of the sump as he got excited and put it on the motor and it went into the car for a test fit. He's working out where to sit the V12 taking into account it's extra length over the V8 and with the Doug Nash box attached. Why put a dry sump on this motor? The sump is really for the next iteration of the V12 which will be blown and will use the bigger Walkinshaw crank but it is better to fit it to this motor now so the mounts don't change and the exhaust will also be made up so that it suits both motors. When the big motor is ready, it should swap over with this one using the same sump, exhausts and engine management computer. There needed to be room at the front of the motor for 2 x Rotrex superchargers.

Engine mocked up:

The dry sump setup also meant that an oil tank needed to be fitted somewhere up front. The best location for this was where the LHS headlight bucket was. The sump has three -12 scavenge outlets and 3 x filters from the sump and one -16 line from the pump to the tank. The tank is 9" around and 22" deep.

The tank is huge - hold 5 gallons of oil, so there should be about 15-18 litres of oil in the tank and lines when underway. He removed the headlight bucket and cut away the guard and mocked the tank up:

With tank fitted. BTW, the tank will have a protective cover in the wheel well to protect it if a tyre shreds.

This is the oil filter. It is a Clearview 6" unit with a spin on filter. It will go behind the RHS headlight via -12 lines.

All up around $7k worth of oiling system.

The fuel system is also underway with Gaz setting up the rails (photo to come). There will be 12 injectors around 1300 - 1500cc or 125 - 150 lbs / hr to handle up to 1000hp on methanol. There are 2 high pressure pumps in the boot. They are Magnaflow EFI-750 pumps. The low pressure pumps came out of Ovakil - Gary's Falcon.

More to come - it's been a while. I want to outline many of the things that have happened in the time that we didn't post. I'll include a run down of the runs that the car has made and what happened to the previous engines. To date, it has a best run of 236 mph. This new engine maybe won't get to that number but will enable us to run the car and get several of the systems ready for more horsepower later on. There are a few ideas around gearing that will be explored but the car still has the 2.5 ratio 9" in it for now.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Thanks for the photos boys 8),, what is the max rpm for this motor ?
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

They say will some head work, bigger valves and good valve springs they can do 8,000rpm. This engine has all that but I am gearing for 7,000 max.
As you all know you can do all the calculations you like but what we do down there is a guessing game because of the many variables with no ability for a real live test. Dyno work is good and necessary but it is only when you pull it into top gear at 200mph+ that you can tell if it is going to all come together (or come apart!).
GAZ
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hey Gaz
Have you thought of using a mechanical fuel pump for the injection?
The volume of fuel needed will be huge. The mechanical pump flow will increase as the engine revs increase
and the demand increases. The electric pumps do the opposite.
This works very successfully with a mates turbo bike
I'm looking forward to seeing the car again

Bones
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Bones,
I have two Magnafuel EFI 750 swivel head electric fuel pumps. They can supply 2,000hp on gas each. As it is EFI there is the return back to the tank. Even at 45psi they supply ample fuel, even with methanol.
Fuel volume/pressure was never my problem. Fouling of the injector was along with oiling supply.
With proper maintenance of both systems along with 18lts of oil with the dry sump I am hoping I have problems licked.
Going mechanical would be back to the drawing board for me and I can't do this again. I have aged since this whole LSR thing started!
GAZ
Jay S Jay

Post by Jay S Jay »

So still using the Doug Nash gearbox. Is that a permanent stay?