Shaguar

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Lynchy

Time for another update

Post by Lynchy »

I've been down to Sydney recently and got out to check out the Jag.

Last update mentioned that Gaz bought a couple of spare cars for their engines, it also made it apparent that the car he has is very good. The 2 spares are little more than rust held together by paint and dirt. They are also handy for spares that may be needed down the track.

Work is still in progress on the roll cage! Just when you think he's finished on it, paranoia sets in and more bar work is the end result. He's cross braced the roof bars and has put in the side impact bars. Here's some shots of these:

The second photo also shows a bit more of the tailshaft tunnel / centre console that has been fabricated. It is quite large but needed to be as the tailshaft and gearbox now sit higher in the car as it has been lowered so much. It also adds to the strength of the car.

and here's a shot of the rear bar work that has been finished. I think the last photo I posted of this was when it was still in progress:

Gary is going to add in a support to the front header bar as demonstrated here:

but this won't go in till later. A bar is going to be fitted across the dash and tie into the front upright bars. Once this is in place the front support will go in. The bar across the dash will be welded to the firewall and could be used to mount bits and pieces (steering column, electronic dash, etc). Another bar that will be fitted will go from the base of the central hoop, next to the driver and up to the roof bar. This will have a few straps also welded to it and back to the central hoop to keep the drivers head contained in the car.

Here's a couple of more photos that may help visualize this:

In the first image if you can imagine a bar coming up from the bottom left and going up next to his head. Ignore the helmet, this is also for testing purposes.

In a previous post I mentioned using an SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus). Here's a shot of it as well:

Gaz was thinking it would go next to the seat but it will go in the boot for safety reasons. The regulator screws into the top and a hose will go through a bulkhead in the rear firewall and get connected via another hose to the helmet. The pressure out of the reg is very low. One area to still be worked out is the fire extinguishers. There will be two for the engine bay, one for the cabin and possibly another one for the boot. If we go for the Coldfire system the SCBA may not be needed but would be useful if the cabin fills with smoke.

We talked some more about ventilation for the cabin and an idea is to run fresh air into the car via the frame rails which would be sealed. A throttle body at the front could be opened to let air in but could be sprung shut in the event of fire and the fire bottles being triggered....

The diff is finally finished, check it out:

Does it look strong enough? The car will get some time on a drag strip as well as the salt just for fun. It will also get used wherever else it can. So the diff is probably overkill (Gaz owns a 2 door Falcon that went by this name (OVAKIL) back in the 80's - when Pat Fahey used to get around in his FJ - Gaz will understand this joke!)

The diff centre is currently set up with a 4.11:1 on a spool for when the car finally gets fired up and a test drive happens, these will be swapped for 2.5's for the lake. So the diff is ready to be fitted and the car will be on the rear wheels soon. He's got a set of front hubs that need to be fitted with bigger studs that will also allow the front discs to be mounted before the front wheels will go on.

There is another discussion on the board at the moment regarding front brakes and whether or not to fit them. The Jag will get them as they will cause minimal drag, the weight doesn't matter, the car will be used for other purposes and in case anything goes wrong with the chute.

One more thing is the front air dam. Gaz found a rear bar off a late model Falcon which looks soooo good:

This may or may not get used depending on the rules for this class. It may be that the standard front bar gets used over the top of this one or this bar gets cut to allow the standard bar to be used or it is modified in some other way. The way the rules are, we have to use a standard front bar but can't protrude anything in front of this....

One more thing is ride height. Under advice from Bob Ellis, we'll have to lift the rear a bit to get air out from under the car to prevent lift. It was always going to come up a bit but we may have to keep an eye on this. The car will be getting a bellypan which will also double as a skidplate to prevent hooking up when the car gets loaded onto trailers and this arches up at the rear of the car. The car may also get a spoiler but this depends on what was available for this model car (under the rules for MS) and if it suits the purpose.

So what's happening at the moment...

Assembling the diff to fit it
Work on the front hubs
Finish off the cage........
Organise the fire system
Decide on a new engine management computer
Order a tailshaft
GSR

Post by GSR »

Looks the goods!
If you need help with ecu's etc give me a call.
Phil Graphic Skills Racing 0732500704 or 0408192005
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

If you need help with ecu's etc give me a call.

Phil - Thanks, but the car is down in Sydney where Big Gaz lives. Current engine management computer is a Haltech but this dates back to the early 90's??? when the motor was set up with electronic injection. Prior to that it had twin Carters.

The new EMC has yet to be decided but Gaz is leaning towards a Motec....

BTW - come along to the next BBQ in Brissie, July 1st at the workshop of Don Noble. Details are elsewhere on this forum, last one was popular and this one seems to be about the same.

Lynchy
GSR

Post by GSR »

No probs.I am happy to lend some advice etc.70% of our business is from out of town.
I will try and make the July meetup but the wife might disagree as sundays are my only day off!
Phil
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

That Jag looks TUFF...where's all the lead going OR is she fat enough.... :lol:
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

where's all the lead going OR is she fat enough

Dunno yet... there's not a lot of room left. It might be moulded into the floor or strapped to the cage or maybe Gaz will have to let me drive, I outweigh him by heaps!

Could be lead shot in the sills???? soaked in fish oil....
XDXR6T

Post by XDXR6T »

Phil take your wife. Mine is going and there will probably be others

Peter
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

ballast :shock: , passangers arnt allowed mate :lol: :lol:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Dr Goggles

Low-rider

Post by Dr Goggles »

that Jag is "Phatter than ya Mama and LOWA than ya Granny's tits"....te he he :lol:

PS. it's the first Jag I've seen in a while that's got less iron oxide in it than Iron Knob too :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Goggs

Here's one of the spares cars.... If you need reassurance that Jags rust, this should do you.

Lynchy
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I'm heading down to Sydney in 2 weeks time for a training course and will be spending a weekend at Big Gaz's to work on the car!!!!! I'm not sure what Gazza has in mind but I want to get the diff in the car, all 4 wheels on and rolling and measure the thing up for frontal area. I'd like to do some sums to estimate potential top speed etc.

Did some checking of the rulebook and it seems that we will be able to run a different front bar as long as the replacement doesn't protrude further than the original. This should be OK and should look good as well.

Lynchy
Dr Goggles

Fe2 03

Post by Dr Goggles »

Lynchy wrote:Goggs
Here's one of the spares cars.... If you need reassurance that Jags rust, this should do you.Lynchy

JFC!!! :shock: ....that kinda says ....."taking a Jaguar to Queensland would be like leaving a goat to look after your cabbages" :wink:

it's got me thinkin' ...what were the good bits?

I love the new front bar though.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

it's got me thinkin' ...what were the good bits?

There's a good pair of sheepskin seat covers on one car and the other came with fluffy dice!

The Qld plate is off the "good" car as it runs. The rear bar fell off it though. Both the cars have good mechanicals - the engines are what the cars were purchased for. The flat rusty sheet on the boot under the bumper is the floor....... When the car went on the trailer the car had a floor - when it came off it didn't.

As you can tell, they were cheap and the engines worth more than the purchase price.
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

I thought you guys were going for a stonking Ford thingy to upset the purists?!!

You're not going all English on us are you?

Is it still going to be acid in colour, or is the british racing green getting a guensey?

rH+
DLRA Member#412
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I thought you guys were going for a stonking Ford thingy to upset the purists?!!

You're not going all English on us are you?

Is it still going to be acid in colour, or is the british racing green getting a guensey?

It will still be a stonking Ford thingy - Cleveland engine, 9 inch diff, painted Ford Toxic. All it needs to win a 1980's car show would be a XB GT bonnet.... The car we originally planned on using was an XA/B/C 2 door but were put off this idea by Salt Racer Dan (Orange XB 2 door - 169 mph 2006) who advised it was sacrilege to cut up a tidy 2 door when there were other more deserving pieces of crap out there.

But don't forget that Ford own Jag either so even if it gets V12 power it will still be (and there's a stretch here) Ford powered. I'd say hearing a twin turbo V12 at 7500 rpm straight out the pipes would be worth the exercise wouldn't you?

As for going english - string backed gloves are not SFI 3.3/15 and BRG has not been considered. A Union Jack graphics job might look OK (ala Austin Powers) but would cost too much in masking tape.

The car will be relatively clean and free from decals unless someone ponies up with a sponsorship deal and gives us some cash (I want a Motec M800 - purely to keep me amused), but if not it will be nice to see a cleanskin racer.

Lynchy