Shaguar

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

BIG GAZ

Re: Shaguar

Post by BIG GAZ »

Firstly a big thank you to all those people who have commented on the build. After eight years it is comforting that it has not only been of interest but in some cases been an inspiration to other members in the completion of their vehicles. Both my father Boris and myself were truly blown away by the reception. For an old bloke I think it gave him a new lease on life. Also a big thank you to Rob Cranfield for all his effort before during and after the event because it would not have happened without his committment.
As far as being only 'superficial'....If a man built it once, a man can build it again.
Gaz
Rob

Post by Rob »

Ok, so I'm still buggered but have edited and loaded some of the images I managed to get. The first couple are a bit grainy because it was getting dark.. :?

Jaguar, meet Volvo...

Good fit

Did you hear the one about the accountant who scabbed up a lounge from the side of the road?? As the only passenger I have to say THANK GOD!!! I lived on that thing for 4 days. Oh and there's a car in there too and a drum of methanol, tyres, tools, winch, ramps, food, water........

Gaz striking the pose..

Mildura.. discreet parking at rear.. for a yellow bus and green Jag?? Really?

More later..
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rob
Good stuff - although I'm keen to see the "after" shot of the Jag. Gaz is going to send me a memory stick of the photos this week hopefully!

Lynchy
Rob

Post by Rob »

Paul That happened near the end and thus ... :wink:
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Can you PM me your photobucket details?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Interesting signs these SA people have

Nice sunset turned on for us just before Barra

Gaz striking the pose in Port Augusta

Little did we know what lay ahead over the next couple of hours...it was clean here (and so were we).

Action man is at it again :wink: "Did you get one of me??"

It was at this point I was wishing I'd maybe missed the bus. We were filthy, the car was filthy, we'd blown down the bus inside and out but really needed a shovel...

Rob

Post by Rob »

Right after the last pic, we sweated into that dust and unloaded the car/gear for the pit. This is Monday morning early.

Monday, run #1. I was GPS track starter so Chris Hanlon did the crew duties for me with Gaz

Front view with Boris' 'Cruiser, I really hope someone got a pic of this pair during the push off. I loved the sound and the black trail from the 'Cruiser stack. This pic is from the first 175 and chute pull pass. On bad advice Gaz pulled the chute at the 2 1/4 not the three and the speed measured was 144mph though the GPS said 187mph. Animal guesstimated 191, not bad by eye! We put it down to experience and went back on Thursday where it all went well.

Next Day (I think) going for the 150 pass. Boris (Gary's dad) with his head down on the left.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I think this is Thursday and the successful 175mph attempt. By this time I was over tired, sunburnt and had almost lost my voice so bare with me.

Start of the pushoff, view fvrom the passengers seat of the cruiser as we are about to cross the start line.

Same, same, this time over the line.

Photobucket is screwing up, more shortly
Rob

Post by Rob »

Jag right after it left the push truck

Off she goes and we're off for the recovery

Later that day a shoot for Street Machine Mag whilst Boris holds our place in the staging lanes

My own arty farty shot. I liked the land follows roofline deal...

Rob

Post by Rob »

Sooo, Friday.. 200mph pass day, Brett DeStoop slide on your @ss and walk away at 240 day, bet he didn't see that coming... :shock:

Thank you to the complete stranger who took a detour to the start line for the dirty guy in the Hawaiian shirt! (Anyone got a shot, the wife doesn't believe I wore 'em??)

After a delay right when we made the line, Gaz is off and running. These are from inside the push truck at full zoom and full noise so excuse the blurry images).

Rob

Post by Rob »

Last edited by Rob on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Unfortunately, with a 6mph headwind and some gusting the under bonnet pressures overcame the latch system by buckling the bonnet in the middle and it lifted. The cars aero went south, it swerved left then right and went completely around, taking out the 2 mile timers with the right rear wheel and 1/4 panel.
The bonnet, already up, slammed forward and down onto the salt, the car continued around and the bonnet was twisted to the right. As the car came around forward the bonnet slammed back shut, Gary caught the spin and pulled off the track.
Normal procedure here is to pull the chute and stop. Gaz thought he was doing the right thing heading right away from the track toward the pits and was unaware he'd hit the timing equipment. He thought he'd hit one of the witches hats. The fireys meanwhile were chasing, concerned that an unconcious driver may have an out of control vehicle headed toward the pits. He stopped when signalled, the fireys and club safety officer took the required photos and we pushed back to the pits with what truely is superficial damage. A new bonnet, grill, front bar, rear 1/4 panel repair and a new wheel should see the car ok. Further checking may reveal more.

The 1/4 below the bar is bellied in, the wheel arch is pushed in and the wheel has at least 4" of runout, possibly more.

Last edited by Rob on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Lastly, in the bus, dusted down after the trip back to the tar

I have more general pics that I will post elsewhere.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rob

First up, great shots, you've made me feel worse for having missed it!
Second the important questions:
- Did the Jag mascot survive?
- Did the injector hat get messed up?
- Did the drive belt get messed up?

Looks bad for the bonnet and bumper but the rest looks not too bad. From the shots you took of the car taking off it looks like she's torquing over a little to the right. Gaz is going to dump the memory out of the Motec and we'll check out the data and see if anything else is happening as well.

Looks like the bus has a dust problem that will need to be fixed.....

Lastly - I can't believe you lost your voice! I'll bet Don Noble cant believe it either!

Thanks for the photos
Lynchy
Rob

Post by Rob »

Mascot got a little salty, nothing more. The hat and belt appear aok too.

More like the dust has a bus problem!

As for the voice, yelling into a radio over running race vehicles and yelling so riders/drivers hear you for 4 plus days solid will do that to a fella.